• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What I *really* liked about Legend of the Rangers(spoilers)

Myrmidon

Let us let the LOTR creators know what we liked about the movie...and why we're still here talking about it.

Far and away, the theme suggested in item #1 below has hooked me to LOTR:

1. Even the suggestion of a threat greater than the Shadows.

How can that be possible, I asked myself throughout the movie. Worse than a huge, billion-year old empire that embodies and perpetuates Chaos? Worse than one that required a coalition of all known races to defeat? Take off. I am a fan that refuses to dig for extra TV show info on the web, trusting to JMS to present me on the TV screen exactly what I need to know. The idea of such a threat, and what possibly could be done to counter it, has **absolutely** committed me to LOTR. What is that clever devil JMS up to?

Bring...it...on.

2. There were some truly hilarious moments.

Some of G'Kar's lines were LOL funny...a gravity wave swept me off my couch and cramped my stomach several times during the movie. The other time I chuckled was when the burly Drahzi crewman had his shoving contest with the Drahzi ambassador. Beautiful. Definitely appealing to this macho viewer, who believes that all meaningful communication is delivered via a moderate thrashing
smile.gif

The Narn technician's temper tantrum in the engine room was also humorously memorable, if simply because it reminded me of an incident when I allowed a computer system to piss me off enough to take a crack at the monitor screen....which cleared my head enough to then fix the problem. Pain is wonderful that way.

Pain as part of a Narn troubleshooting feedback-loop?

3. A solid and varied cast that caught and held my attention.

I identified with the pensive, thoughtful, slightly brooding personality of the Captain. I am waiting for his to lose his cool and take someone's head off. What *really* is bugging this guy? That tension, me the viewer watching his self control and wondering if I would lose my cool in *his* place in *that* situation, has me rooting for him.

I liked the ferocity of the unleashed Liandra in her weapons-interface mode. I think that she is a character with a great deal of growth potential as the series (oh pls oh pls) continues.

Let me say this, also, without being insulting, provocative or anything else: She is very pretty without being from the cookie-cutter-supermodel mold. A cute girl-next-door who kicks azz without having to wear an unusually revealing uniform. Mucho Bravo!

I liked the thoughtful Minbari 1st Officer, and especially his humorous counter thrusts to the Captain's banter. The human Captain/Minbari 1st Officer relationship is reminiscent of Kirk and Spock...or perhaps Spock and McCoy. Perhaps an offhanded salute to one of the enduring symbiotic relationships in TV SciFi...

I liked the idea of female Narn engineer with a short fuse. Would you really want such a personality riding herd on your engine room? A nice touch on the part of JMS to write this part. A ship (or any group entity) doesn't realistically included perfectly qualified people occupying perfectly suited positions. Will she punch a hole in a wall and decompress the compartment, successfully grow into this position, or move to another crew position? (By the way, is it me, or do crewmembers in TV SciFi rarely move to another role? Why not?) Something to look for as the show progresses.

See my humor comments above for some of my appreciation for the burly Drahzi crewman. While SciFi is intellectual in nature, there is a role and a place for persons of great physical strength. I await the series to see feats of physical strength from the Drazhi, with both noble and humorous consequences.

Yes, the quiet Minbari healer. An excellent addition. Why would I say that, when it is fashionable to appreciate and promote assertive forwardness in women (and especially men)? Because leadership and admirable success does not have to be shouted out, or performed from the front of the class. Quiet competence is easily overlooked (which is one reason to employ it professionally as a form of camoflage?). What are we overlooking about this character?...is what intrigues me about her.

4. A fighter-class (?) ship that swoops and dives and uses tactics to win.

The above statement is subjective and is my opinion only. While in my heart I wanted Martel to get a White-Star class ship or larger, I came to accept this is a growth area for the crew's career and for the show. As a matter of fact, they basically get a partially functional piece of garbage.

I think to myself, why NOT have them get ships shot out from under them every season? A crew with multiple vessels/systems under it's belt would be most valuable. It would give them a nice season-to-season transition to boot. Okay, enough speculation.

But these are the kind of thoughts that occur to me as I swallow the idea of allying with Rangers flying around a small ship that uses only pulsing weapons. Don't they even get one continuous-beam class weapon (this poster now makes whining noise, then stops geeking out).

Finally: I challenge all of you nay-saying posters out there to clear your head and let the producers, actors, and writers know what you liked, also. You wouldn't have bothered to post unless you ultimately support a successful LOTR. *Balanced* feedback is the key to progress!

------------------

Great Posting!!! I'm studying for work on Jeremiah tomorroow so I must flee! I'll try to respond in depth later. Ciao Alex
smile.gif

------------------
Dulann

Alex-Dulann,

To be praised by a Minbari is a rare human experience...I'm all tingly:)

Good luck to you.

------------------

I'll just add one thing: Martel's solution to dealing with the enemy in the end. Pretty cool. It's a shame that people who claim this movie wasn't original overlook this very original plot point.

And yes, of course, Sarah Cantrell is gorgeous. She has lovely cheeks (and for those who doubt the mighty GKarsEye, yes, I mean the ones on the face).

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

You know, GKE, I think all of us who have seen your most recent posts would have to admit: you would probably be polite with your girlfriend there.
blush.gif

Everyone else is fair game to you, but to her, I know I would assume you only mean the sweetest of all possible things.
blush.gif
blush.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited January 27, 2002).]

GKarsEye,

Yes, "going back to the well" is a valid tactic. And insidious for the enemy in the aftermath, if they have the luxury to reassess it. Whoops, no enemy forces remained to reassess the action. Darn. A most worthy addition to this thread about what works well in LOTR.

Your login name is hilarious! One of my favorite examples of human-machine interface in TV SciFi is the mighty G'Kar's Eye! I will remember Londo saying "G'Kar....where is your eye?" to my grave. What a humorous counterpoint to the end of the Shadow War...

We must have an All-G'Kar-All-The-Time Cable News Network. The universe would approve.

------------------

It puzzles me why so many people seem to see some sort of K/S/M story going on here.

I didn't see anything like that anywhere.

Just a group of people each doing their jobs.

Besides, anyone who saw

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Good luck, Captain.
I think you are about to go where everyone has gone before."

Ivanova to Sheridan in Babylon 5:"Voices of Authority"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Knows that when JMS decides to "do" trek references, he makes Sure it's a ROTFLYAO moment.

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited January 27, 2002).]

Kirk/Spock/McCoy

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Can't characters just be friends without people making slash fanfic about it all? *sighs*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're wrong. Star Trek TOS created the concept of "friend" and they have a patent on it. So since then, everything enough close to a friendship is automatically a copyright infringement from Trek.

Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

[This message has been edited by GaribaldiHairs (edited January 28, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaribaldiHairs:

You're wrong. Star Trek TOS created the concept of "friend" and they have a patent on it. So since then, everything enough close to a friendship is automatically a copyright infringement from Trek.

Yeah, and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All sarcasm aside, I do think that the K/S/M is a valid tie-in. I don't believe that JMS would have made the relationship between Martel and Durlann intentionally to resemble the ST:TOS relationship. I am also not saying that anything in Sci-Fi that is compaired to K/S/M is simply trying to rip off the concept of 'friendship' or not being original. But lets be frank here. The whole Kirk/Spock relationship became the first 'mainstream' human/alien relationship in Television. And over 20 some odd years, it developed even more in the ST movies. TOS set the stage for a lot of what Sci-Fi is today. Sure the Martel/Dulann relationship wasnt based off K/S but to have people compare the two is certainly a compliment. Im sure the actors, and even JMS, wouldnt take offense to the Martel/Durlann relationship being called 'reminicent' (but not the same) of the old Kirk/Spock one.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Your login name is hilarious! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, sir.

It's no surprise that sci-fi nerds are going to reference everything to Star Trek. Like most people, their frame of reference is very limited. The idea of two opposite but complimentary personalities working together hardly originated with Trek.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Thank you, sir.

The idea of two opposite but complimentary personalities working together hardly originated with Trek.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true, but in the realm of Sci-Fi, as you mentioned, it is the one that seems to pop into everyone's mind. Hell, I grew up on that show (well, watching its reruns), so it comes to mind for me when I think sci-fi, and I am hardly a typical sci-fi nerd
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

To paraphrase Hamlet:

What a piece of work is GKarsEye!
How blunt in reason,
How infinite in vocabulary
In form and posting, how un-P.C. and frequent...
In action how like a... well, we never see him in action (thank the Maker).
In apprehension, how like an unblinking eye
The beauty of the world (especially Sarah)
The paragon of prosthetics.

Shakespeare's gonna kill me when I get to heaven.

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Wowie, thanks LH! I'm flattered. Paraphrasing my favorite Shakespeare play for me... how nice. Keep this up and you may just make The Mighty GKarsEye List of Cool People on B5LR.com.
smile.gif

------------------

GKarsEye,

My observation that Martel-Dulanne are already showing parallels to Kirk/Spock is a compliment of the highest caliber...no matter anyone's like or dislike of Trek. Kirk/Spock represents a high ideal of personality/ability/role symbiosis.

Often, they would communicate without words. During my officer training days in the 80's, I heard the variations on the phrases "You play Kirk to my Spock" several times by non-Trekkies.

"It's no surprise that sci-fi nerds are going to reference everything to Star Trek. Like most people, their frame of reference is very limited."

Most of SciFi (the readership, the viewership, the escapists and visionaries) people have moved beyond Star Trek. I used this example because it has commonality; who doesn't know these two?

"The idea of two opposite but complimentary personalities working together hardly originated with Trek"

I couldn't agree more. But it seems to me writers often crib from each other's notebooks, tip their hat to their forefathers in the field, or simply create something reminiscent of an earlier model.

Let's get back to the original subject of the thread: *Cool* things we liked about Legend of the Rangers...here's another one I liked:

5. Staff fighting. We humans are tool-users. In the realm of combat, I relish, cherish, weapons combat. Bare-hand is fine and dandy. Guns are cool too, but are really not "personal" combat.

But weapons....ah, weapons. To see a show about an entire corps of *future-war* elite troops basing a large part of their combat doctrine around a ... big stick?

This had better be believable, I said to myself. And I think that LOTR delivers.

Rangers don't just swish the staff back and forth or poke at their opponents. They plant the stick in the ground use it as a lever. They employ a variety of grips; thrusting and blocking grips, the (Zulu?) technique of placing both hands at an extreme end and power-swinging, various attitudes and postures to limit the vulnerable plane of body exposure to the enemy.

Now, if we could only introduce the Rangers to the Nunchaku, or the three-section-staff. Weapons of pure, deadly art.

------------------

Swerve #1 refers to the hack job I did on one of Willy's finest plays, swerve #2 refers to driving, and I can't believe I'm explaining this because its made me realize that it was only funny for a minute.
crazy.gif

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

What I *really* liked about Legend of the Rangers:

The interactive view in the council chamber.

David's scenes with Dulann

Dulann hitting the panel to get it to work.

David/Tannier scenes

The Liandra (CGI exterior, and interior; very nice surfacing of the ship exterior)

The Welcoming ceremony

The scene with Sarah, David, and Na'Feel at the engine room.

David & Sarah's "It's a good day to die." scene

Na'Feel's scenes

The CGI in the first attack

The bridge holographic display.

G'Kar's humor, peeking under the hood, and the frustration in his reference to Sheridan.

The mine design that came out of the Hand ship (reminiscent of Shadow design, yet different, crystalline in nature, just like the Hand ships)

The look and sound of the captain of the Hand ship.

The interactive view inside the VR gunnery pod

The close-up surfacing of the Hand ships.

The shoving match between Tirk and the Drazi ambassador.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LondosHair:
To paraphrase Hamlet:

What a piece of work is GKarsEye!
How blunt in reason,
How infinite in vocabulary
In form and posting, how un-P.C. and frequent...
In action how like a... well, we never see him in action (thank the Maker).
In apprehension, how like an unblinking eye
The beauty of the world (especially Sarah)
The paragon of prosthetics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was precious.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 28, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online