• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Timing of Franklin's Walkabout (deeper meaning?)

Timing of Franklin\'s Walkabout (deeper meaning?)

I'm all for character development, and not every thing has to have the most logical reason in the world, but...

I was just wondering if anyone knew why the Dr. Franklin/stim/walkabout subplot happens right in the middle of the Shadow War. With so much going on with the war, it seems an odd place (or perhaps the perfect place) to put such a one-man/off-topic subplot.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it. It's well-written, well-acted, interesting, and helps to flesh out Franklin's character.

I'm just wondering if there's some deeper meaning to the subplot that I haven't grasped onto yet or if there's some special reason for the timing of it. There probably isn't. Probably, it just is what it is and happens when it happens because that's when it happens. I'm just curious if there's more to it than that.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

Re: Timing of Franklin\'s Walkabout (deeper meaning?)

I'm just laughing at what I just noticed.

The pillows G'Kar was sleeping on early in the episode appear again in Cailyn's apartment.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

It was a definite relief to me to find out that there were at least some people who could only handle their own problems at once, rather than juggling the Shadow War and their personal problems all at once.

I know I couldn't deal with a drug addiction and go off to fight the Shadows at the same time.
wink.gif

------------------
"The universe is already mad, anything else would be redundant."
BlackStar's Messageboard | blackstar@welivefortheone.b5lr.com

It's just a B story. They're not going to make every second about one thing, they're gonna have some "extra" stuff. And they needed to have Franklin do something besides say, "I don't know if he's gonna make it" and such. So, they made him a junky. Problem solved.

And his singer girlfriend was pretty damn hot.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Franklin is trying to take control of his life. When he finally does meet himself, himself/doppleganger Franklin berates him for always running away from his problems. He has let outside factors dictate his life. He's been contoled, by his father, by his job, by the stims and instead of taking control back he was passive. The stabbing marks a turning point, he's taken control.

When this happens the same thing is being played out on a much grander scale. The younger races are now taking the fight to the older races, namely the Shadows. They aren't letting the Shadows dictate the war anymore, they've stopped reacting.

Franklin's story is not merely a B story or filler. It's what is happening in the Shadow war on a personal level.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

So what seemed skew, is really parallel. I agree, and thanks, Dr. Gonzo. I had often noticed such parallels in B stories before, but hadn't caught this one.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

You also have to ask yourself, if one of the people everyone depends on is going to go off the deep end and let everyone down, when would be the Worst Time for him to do it?

Cause, sure as the Universe enjoys a little Irony, that's when it's going to happen.

Having your "personal problems" cause you to let your friends down is also a recurring theme in Babylon 5.
Just in case no one has noticed.

Garibaldi goes on a Binge while someone is trying to frame him for murder and assasinate the President.
Can you think of a worse time??

Franklin goes walkabout in the middle of a War.

Garibaldi goes on a binge Again in the middle of the Drakh/Centauri mess.

Marcus was right. If this is the Worst time for something bad to happen, it's time to get a little paranoid.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited December 12, 2001).]

wink.gif
I think the whole 'walk about' thing was just another one of those knee-jerk reactions to try and get as socially conscious as the original Star Trek....or..the actor just wanted more air time..or...he wanted to do a 'sex scene'...or the ramifications of self awareness can lead us to dangers we seldom contemplate within the normal paths we trod on the road of life....or...he was horny and where else to look better than 'down below'..
smile.gif

Gary

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm just laughing at what I just noticed.
The pillows G'Kar was sleeping on early in the episode appear again in Cailyn's apartment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'Kar has been mentioned to be very interested in earthly women. Perhaps they had few dates and one thing lead to another... Pillows were just a gift...
tongue.gif

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

Is there a good time to have a personal crisis?
What we have to bear in mind here is that as good as the storyline might be it's only as good as it's characters. The war with the shadows is a physical representation of what everybody feels within themselves. Franklins particular dilemma may have been there to show just how vulnerable any one person can be, whatever the situation.
Each character had their own personal "shadows" to overcome!

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Superbob pegged it, as far as I'm concerned. Who can time their breakdowns to meet a convenient time table?
crazy.gif
When the pressure hits it is very very typical for people near the edge to fall over it. And let's face it: Franklin already almost killed a patient due to his condition.

I think in this day there might be some truth to what he implied, too: if he reported himself it would have been the end of his career. If he kept working (just "stuck it out") he eventually would either kill himself of a patient. He had to do what he did. He chose to go it alone, but he had to step off the job for a bit.

Besides, it helps to teach him that even in the most terrible crisis, he WAS expendable. The seemed to be at the root of his problem, thinking/hoping he was the only one who could get med lab through a crisis.

I think Superbob hit it on the nose: a breakdown occurs when a breakdown occurs, USUALLY at the worst possible time.

------------------
(Spirit): “If it is too hard a lesson for you to learn, then learn this lesson:”
[Shows emaciated children at his feet.] (Ebenezer): “Are these yours?” (Spirit): “They are Man’s. They cling to me for protection from their fetters. This boy is ignorance, this girl is want. Beware them both, but most of all, beware this boy.” (Ebenezer): “Have they no refuge, no resource?” (Spirit): “Are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?”

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Also once he "meets himself" he gets his act together, and once he recovers he is a better person for it and does have a major role to play later on in the series. As in real life it was necessary for him to hit bottom before he could climb back up again.

------------------
"Triple cypher...wine...women...song." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

[This message has been edited by Londos6 (edited December 13, 2001).]

Two reasons:

1. It's good drama. Like you said; this is just when he's most needed. Hardly a time for a vacation.

2. It's realistic. Not everybody is going to deal well with the thought of a great and terrible darkness that will engulf the universe in flames. Franklin has always had issues (ones he discovers when he meets himself). His life was highly ordered in a particular fashion. As things started going to hell and events began to creep outside his almighty control, he retreated further into his job and compensated through use of stims. This cycle that couldn't last forever.

He had to snap.

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Well, I think that having Franklin go on walkabout in the middle of the Shadow War is a perfect illustration of how he ran away from himself all his life. I remember him telling Sheridan that he always ran away instead of facing himself and his problems. Can anyone think of a better way to illustrate that point then to have him up and leave his job in the middle of a war?

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The pillows G'Kar was sleeping on early in the episode appear again in Cailyn's apartment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obvioulsy, they both shop at the "Bed, Bath & Beyond" in the Zocalo.

G'Kar started going there to meet women after
the melon dealer barred him because he kept thumping the melons too hard...

------------------

Isn't it odd there doesn't seem to be a shrink aboard B5? I mean look at all these things people carry with them:

Sinclair: I'm the only person in my unit to survive, and I don't deserve it. My life has no purpose -- if I could only go down in a blaze of glory!

Ivanova: I hate my father, my mother killed herself -- and don't you dare read my mind!

Garibaldi: I lost the only woman I ever loved because I put my career first; I'm extremely insecure; and I can't stop drinking.

Franklin: I'm such a perfect little tight ass. I'm morally superior to Earth Force and my father. Everything has to be done my way, because I'm the only person I can trust. Just me and my stims...

Of course I could go on, but it's time for dinner...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

People on Babylon 5 keep getting offered "counseling" all the time.
They just keep turning it down.
Poor Dr. Shrink is the loneliest person on the station.
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

------------------

Delenn: I was the catalyst that nearly destroyed an entire race.

Lennier: I'm in love with my boss, and I'd kill her husband to win her love.

Sheridan: My wife died, I fell in love with another woman, she came back from the dead and dragged me to the enemy planet, where I died, my wife died again, I was resurrected... oh, jeez, and that's even before all the stuff Clark put me through...

Lyta: I was used as a dishrag for the Vorlons, used as a dishrag for the Army of Light, used as a dishrag for Psi Corps, and had to deal with Ulkesh, and dammit, I'm sick of being a dishrag!

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

To answer Mondo Londo. They didn't have a shrink and thats why they won the war!
They kicked ass simply because they were so emotionally strung out they had to kill someone and unfortunately the shadows were in the wrong place at the wrong frustration
laugh.gif
I have uncovered the secret plot to B5 - it was dawn of the third age of mankind, stress had taken it's toll on humanity - their only chance for survival was Babylon 5 anger management station.
Seriously though it's actually a valid point, everybody has their personal shadows to deal with as well as the tangible ones. It's a wonder nobody cracked mmore than Franklin did and lets face it, the guy almost kicked the bucket.null

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Well, Garibaldi blew three fuses.

First, in season one, when Earth Force tries to blame on him an explosion -- he goes back to the bottle.

Second -- and this one isn't his fault -- he's captured by the Shadows, given to the Psi Corps, programmed to hyper paranoia, and betrays Sheridan to Earth Force.

Third, he dives back into the bottle in season five.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back