• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

SciFi.com Chat w/ Dylan Neal (11/29 @ 9 PM ET)

Lyta

This is just a friendly reminder to chat with Dylan Neal tomorrow at 9 PM Eastern. If you cannot attend and have any questions you would like people to ask, feel free to post them here. Also, I hope a transcript will be posted here after it is over.

Connect your IRC software client to events.scifi.com and join channel #auditorium to participate. Chatters with a java-capable browser may use SciFi's java chat client at http://www.scifi.com/chat/chatnow.html

Visit http://www.scifi.com/chat/ for more information.

PS: This time, I tested out connecting to the IRC chat at SciFi so I should be there this time. I had to use a backdoor/tunnel to our home network in order to get around our firewall at work.
smile.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | The Abyss : B5 | Seattle, WA
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 28, 2001).]

I should be there. I could send the A man a transcript if he so desires, just like last time. And you don't have to wait several days for it either.
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

I won't be there - not only is my NetZero access up for the month, but I'm playing in a concert (go Haydn!). So, if someone could ask this question for me, I would appreciate it - even though this question is GONNA get asked. It's not that original.

"We hear that Martel's not only the central character of the film, but that he's an archetypal great-hero character - how does it feel, as an actor, to play that kind of role?"

AND

Yep, someone's bound to ask that one.
smile.gif

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

I would ask any of you to ask a really smart question for me... too bad I can't think of anything smart to ask.
frown.gif

Oh well, I'm sure you lot have plenty of great questions figured out! Have fun!
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Yeah, RW - I used up the rest of my 10 hours of 'net access for the month, and couldn't get on.

I also was playing in a gig, too.

Oh, well, such things happen. I'll be at the other two upcoming chats, however, saving my 'net access for them. Too bad I missed this one!

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
"We hear that Martel's not only the central character of the film, but that he's an archetypal great-hero character - how does it feel, as an actor, to play that kind of role?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I asked this one for you and here is the answer:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
That's very nice of you, Lyta, to pass that along -- I saw that today on b5lr.com.
It's a tricky thing playing the hero. I've only just recently started playing these types of characters and it's difficult to play the hero without becoming a cardboard character.
I think that the trick for an actor is to not try and copy Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson or whoever.
But to try and instill that character with who YOU are.
It's something that I'm looking forward to (hopefull!) getting better at and more comfortable with.
I also realize you can't ever please everyone but as long as you feel you're being true to yourself, you have to be happy with that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
It is an infinite helix, the dance of two souls resonating, like the twist of DNA, like the vast universe. --Banana Yoshimoto (Lizard: Dreaming of Kimchee)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 29, 2001).]

Finally, here are the chat transcripts I took. The first is an edited version for easier reading and the second is the raw file (with some line breaks to make it readable).

Dylan Neal Chat Transcript (edited)

Dylan Neal Chat Transcript (unedited)

------------------
It is an infinite helix, the dance of two souls resonating, like the twist of DNA, like the vast universe. --Banana Yoshimoto (Lizard: Dreaming of Kimchee)

Thanks Lyta. I knew there was something I was supposed to do tonight. Damn.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Thanks I forgot too... I was sittin here tryin to figure out where everyone went.
smile.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."

Lyta - thanks, that was really nice of you to ask that question for me! At many other messageboards, I'd be out of luck...
smile.gif

It really has to be interesting playing a hero without falling into the heroic cliches, especially within the sci-fi genre, which clings to the hero motif like a guy in a desert with a glass of water.

I think the only thing harder than playing the hero is writing the hero. If he's a cardboard cut-out flowing out of your pen, the guy up on the stage attempting to do something with him months later is gonna have a hard time trying to pound some flesh into him.

Or her, as I would have it at times.
smile.gif

Right, I'm going to go finish my work now and cease my nightly visit to the messageboard - gotta love those deadlines.

------------------

Many thanks Lyta. I feel very privileged to have someone do all the work transcribing the chat so the rest of us can enjoy it too.
smile.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Yes, thanks Lyta!
laugh.gif
My wonderful ISP kept cutting me off. So I missed the first question, and one later on as well. I appreciate your effort in posting the transcript. He he he, you really beat the scifi.com people. They usually take a day I think to get those posted.

Thanks again!
laugh.gif

Oh, BTW, people who I recognized from this site made up at least 1/3 of the room tonight.
cool.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Thanks, Lyta, that was great of you!
smile.gif
I'll have to read it later when I have more time.

I take it that the chat went well?

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Hey everyone,

It's been too long since the last time I posted anything. I just wanted to say that I too thought the chat went very well. It was so wonderful to see so many of you there supporting Dylan and our show. Thanks again so very much.

I can't wait till it airs!!! I mean if it weren't for Christmas and all the festivities I'd go mad!
smile.gif
I just can't wait for you all to see it.

Well, it's already very late out here in Toronto, which by the way is as Dylan said very beautiful this time of year
smile.gif

Goodnight all. Laughalot
wink.gif

------------------

Bummer, Channe isn't going?
frown.gif

I like CBO plan to be there. I will see you there my Shaking Pak'ma'ra friend.
laugh.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

I missed the chat because I've been sick with the Bronchitis Attack From Hell (take my word for it--you don't want this), but this morning I'm actually starting to feel better, after almost a month of being sick. So I guess I will read the transcript.

Crossing my fingers that I really *am* better now!

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Just read the transcript. I just realized this: no one hacked Dylan's chat! In some previous B5 chats at SFC, there were hacker-problems. I remember a chat with Peter Jurasik that kept being ruined by a hacker. Maybe SFC finally found a way to keep them out.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Yeah, gkarfan - at Alex Zahara's, I was consistently flooded with the words "B5 SUX GOTE" until I got thrown off the network, or the dude got fried by the channel bouncer. Anybody else have that problem?

The nerve! To insult my second-favorite universe, and to use bad grammar to do it, as well! (My first favorite is, of course, the one we actually live in. Less so right now - deadline's a killer...)

On another note, Sci-Fi really has to get some chats going with the Ranger ladies.

------------------

The scifi.com chat with JMS was a realy disaster. Things were going wrong left and right, when suddenly JMS was just gone. Unfortunately, he wasn't actually gone. He kept answering questions, but those answers were not getting through!

I still wish scifi.com would try again, though. Although, maybe JMS has had enough of scifi.com after that last chat, I don't know.
frown.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back