• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR's competition

GKarsEye

Regular
Re: B5LR\'s competition

Count me in as B5 fan who loves football. In fact, I love football more, so if I had to choose, I'd easily watch the game. Besides, you know the sci-fi channel's gonna rerun it like a million times. Football games don't get rerun, and even if they do, it's no fun to watch it unless it's live.

By the way, does anyone know if they include viewership of the movie's reruns when determining its success? If so, are they weighed differently?

Fortunately, I don't have to choose. I have Tivo and a TV with multiple video inputs, so I can record the movie while watching the game, then watch the movie later. God bless technology.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
By the way, does anyone know if they include viewership of the movie's reruns when determining its success? If so, are they weighed differently?

Fortunately, I don't have to choose. I have Tivo and a TV with multiple video inputs, so I can record the movie while watching the game, then watch the movie later. God bless technology.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The movie is getting repeated at 11PM. I have a TiVo too, but there wouldn't be a point to recording the 9PM showing if the same movie's showing at the same time I'd be replaying the recording. One can watch the football game live *and* Rangers live if they want.

I think the ratings for all three of the telecasts will be evaluated to some degree. However, I've noticed a habit in the press of only revealing the ratings for the first telecast.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Count me in as B5 fan who loves football. In fact, I love football more, so if I had to choose, I'd easily watch the game. Besides, you know the sci-fi channel's gonna rerun it like a million times. Football games don't get rerun, and even if they do, it's no fun to watch it unless it's live.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If the Steelers were playing in the Super Bowl, and even if it was the Steelers of Old (the years when they won four Super Bowls), I'd have the phone ringer turned off, the answering machine speaker volume turned all the way down, and I'd be taping and watching "To Live and Die in Starlight" on the SVHS machine (SP on a Master Quality tape, of course), and would be taping the Steeler Game on the VHS machine. Then I'd watch the game after watching "To Live and Die in Starlight."

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I too am a B5 fan and a football fan. I don't like college football, however and usually only watch Cleveland Browns games on TV. But if it came down to the Ranger movie or football, I'd pick the movie.
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The movie is getting repeated at 11PM. I have a TiVo too, but there wouldn't be a point to recording the 9PM showing if the same movie's showing at the same time I'd be replaying the recording. One can watch the football game live *and* Rangers live if they want.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Evening games usually begin at 8 or 9. It won't be over by 11. Either way, it doesn't hurt to tape it.

I personally don't understand how a person can watch a game that isn't live. A movie doesn't change its value depending on when you watch it. And unless you are counted in the Nielsons, than there really is no reason to just record the movie or watch one of what I'm sure will be many repeats.

------------------

Evening games usually begin at 8 or 9. It won't be over by 11. Either way, it doesn't hurt to tape it.

I personally don't understand how a person can watch a game that isn't live. A movie doesn't change its value depending on when you watch it. And unless you are counted in the Nielsons, than there really is no reason to just record the movie or watch one of what I'm sure will be many repeats.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will TiVo starting at 11PM if I watch the game. Even with live programming, I normally will start watching an hour show 15 minutes after it starts. By fast forwarding through the commercials, you end up finishing the program at the same time it ends, but you save 15 minutes.

There's also no worry about having to tape it live as Mac is obviously doing. You can always transfer from TiVo to your VCR at your leisure later and get a really clean "commerical skipping" recording. People who've seen these transfers I'm made are impressed with the quality. You don't have to worry about catching the ends of the commercials right because if you mess up, you just rewind the TiVo and try again.

To me watching the later telecast is no big deal. People on the West Coast aren't going to see it until a few hours later, either.

------------------

I personally don't understand how a person can watch a game that isn't live. A movie doesn't change its value depending on when you watch it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the difference, as long as you don't find out how it ended before you watch the game? That's why the phone's off the hook. There's no way I'm going to find out how the game ended or any thing else about the game, until I watch the game tape. The value is therefore the same.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).

I'll admit that I don't watch sports. I think of sports as something to do, not watch. But if I did watch football games, I would ONLY watch on tape. Why watch 2 hours of awful commercials breaking up the 1 1/2 hours of action of the game? I couldn't stand it. I would never watch films that way either. You can be sure I will be watching B5LR, no matter what!

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jade Jaguar:
I'll admit that I don't watch sports. I think of sports as something to do, not watch. But if I did watch football games, I would ONLY watch on tape. Why watch 2 hours of awful commercials breaking up the 1 1/2 hours of action of the game? I couldn't stand it. I would never watch films that way either. You can be sure I will be watching B5LR, no matter what!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a way I may agree with you. More often than not, I'll watch football at the local sports bar with a group of people so that it's a shared experience. Thus, the commercials don't bother me. That's the time when you are ordering another beer or talking to the people you are with.

While some people may like to isolate themselves, I enjoy it more with other people.

Advertisers often bring out their new stuff in post-season football, so the commercials are actually better than you'll see on cable. The ad time costs more money so you are less likely to see crappy commercials.

During the Super Bowl, the commercials are as important as the game.

------------------

I will be recording B5LR and watching football.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Right, you get commercials when you watch football. Isn't it like that when you watch anything on TV?
crazy.gif

I "deal" with it the same way I "deal" with commercials when I watch anything: I'm usually doing a bunch of different things at the same time anyway.

------------------

My take on this is that this is more of a complication than it is a problem. I think it's pretty much a guarentee that playoff football will hurt B5LR's ratings. I know myself that if it's the Eagles game, I'll be watching the game and taping the movie. But this isn't necessarily the end of B5LR. Sci fi isn't stupid. When looking at the ratings they're going to be taking everything into account. Ratings for all shows will be down probably due to the football game so as long as B5LR does proportionately well in comparison the rest of its competition it really shouldn't have an affect. Sci fi is probably looking less for a target number and more a comparison. But either way, they are aware of the game and I'm sure will take it into account.

------------------

B5LR\'s competition

The January 19th TV schedules are now available on TVGuide.com

I wanted to see what kind of competition the B5LR movie will have. There don't appear to be any "threatening" titles on pay or free cable.

But, there is something interesting happening. For the first time ever, one of the Saturday NFL playoff games will be played in Primetime. That's what either CBS or Fox will be showing starting at 8PM.

There won't be an overlap in the Pacific time zone, though. The game plays earlier and Sci Fi has a West Coast feed.

Before someone says, "B5 Fans don't like football", I'll say:

1. I do. I play in two football pools.
2. High ratings depend on people other than hardcore fanatics to tune in.

I really don't know what kind of threat this is. I just wanted to share what I discovered.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
I will be recording B5LR and watching football.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto....

--------------------------------------
"If you want to make us stronger, attack and we unite."
Adam Mayblum, WTC Survivor

It's unfortunate and will no doubt impact the ratings for the conflicting time, but hopefully the encore airing will capture all those conflicted by pigskin viewers.

Personally, as someone who considers Super Bowl Sunday a great day to catch a movie, I'm not at all conflicted.
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technomage Roanna:
Personally, as someone who considers Super Bowl Sunday a great day to catch a movie, I'm not at all conflicted.
laugh.gif

Ro

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you. If my team wasn't playing, I wouldn't bother watching the game at all. I'd be doing any of dozens of other things.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Question for SavantB5--Do you know when That '80's Show premieres on Fox? I've been seeing an ad that says it's in January, but that's all they say. Do you know the actual night in January when the series premieres? Thanks.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Dunno about That 80's Show. You can always use the Search mode in the TVGuide.com/listings site.

Re: The Super Bowl
The thing about this is that it's as much a social event as a football game. It's guaranteed someone I know will have a party or want to go somewhere to watch it. Even if I weren't interested in the game, I wouldn't pass up a social event.

I've seen many people come to Super Bowl parties who have no interest in the game.

Last year I committed to doing a discussion panel about the commercials in the game, so I had to watch it by myself in order to pay attention and take notes. I'll never do that again. It was too depressing to be by myself when my friends were out having a good time watching it together.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back