• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5LR's competition

Re: B5LR\'s competition

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
I have a vcr and I'm not an idiot which means I can program the thing. There is no real conflict. The game is a live event which is signifigantly effected if not watched live. I'm fairly certain B5LR will not be televised live
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A live event is significantly affected if not watched live??? Why? Unless somebody who's already seen the game, spoils it for you, there is zero difference between watching it live or watching a tape.

If I watched the football game, and then watched TLaDiS at 11PM (or 5PM the next day), and Sci-Fi's signal was bad, or the cable went out, or the power went out for the encore airings, I'd REALLY be pissed.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
A live event is significantly affected if not watched live??? Why? Unless somebody who's already seen the game, spoils it for you, there is zero difference between watching it live or watching a tape.

If I watched the football game, and then watched TLaDiS at 11PM (or 5PM the next day), and Sci-Fi's signal was bad, or the cable went out, or the power went out for the encore airings, I'd REALLY be pissed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As to the importance of football "liveness". It just is important. Let's say you decide to tape the game. You then have to watch it either at 11PM at night or by 1PM the next day. Why? Because most of us will be watching the Sunday games too and they start at 1PM.

11PM is too late to start watching a football game and Sunday morning doesn't have the right ambience either. Plus, you have to deny yourself of watching the news, listening to the radio, or reading the Sunday newspaper.

It's a ridiculous effort to make when it's so much funner to watch it when the rest of the world is watching it. That's just how it is. Sports is about mood and ambience.

Somehow the enjoyment of sports is tied to its "liveness". Look at how lousy the Olympics ratings were in 2000 because of the time delay.

Let's face it. It's extremely likely my cable will go out for 24-hours. The odds of being spoiled on the football game are pretty good.

As it is, by watching the 11PM ET showing, I'll still be seeing it an hour ahead of the West Coast fans.

------------------

Yep, what he said. The Rangers movie isn't live at all. It makes no difference if you watch at 9pm or 11pm or the next day. When you watch a movie doesn't effect your enjoyment of it. It does for sports. It's kind of like reading last week's newspaper. It may be a bad analogy, but that's just how it is.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I won't accidently turn on the news and catch the score between the Rangers and the ancient enemy.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Back