• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

... And the Ground, Sown With Salt

Lyta

I don't know what to say really ... I think I will need some time to really digest tonight's episode. I think Jeremiah said it best, "Dear Dad, I don't have very much to say tonight. Some days there just aren't the words ... you know?"

Feel free to discuss tonight's episode and I am off to update my site.

I thought it was another good episode. Just goes to show you there are some real crazy people out there. There are people like that in real life. We also got some info about other groups/armies out there and even V-sector.

I have a idea about V-sector. From the info given it sounds like it is a place where some of the adults still live

capt

i thought it was very good.... but the part dealing with the girl was somewhat predictable i thought.

still very well writen and played out though

Jason Priestley was extremly creepy in his role as Michael.

I think Jeremiah and Kurdy got more information from Michael about what was going on in the area than Michael got from them.

I don't think the<a target="_blank" href=http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/blu-82.htm> daisy cutter</a> is as destructive as was stated in the episode unless it is detonated several feet above ground level.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kraig:
<font color=yellow>Jason Priestley was extremly creepy in his role as Michael.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
That was my take on it too. I was watching it with my roommate, which this was the first episode he has ever seen of it, and he said 'well I like him a lot better as a bad guy than his 90210 days.' He really played the part of a psycho well and at times really made you feel uncomfortable. The last time I remember feeling anything like that was watching Emperor Cartagia. Still Michael was different, but he was definately a nut and Jason played the role perfectly IMO.

It was also a much darker episode, as was the intent by Jeremiah's closing letter to his dad. I also agree, he got more info from Michael than Michael got in return. Overall I liked it a lot.

My dad comes home from work around 10:30 on friday nights and since i usually tape Jerimiah on my tivo in my home theater he didnt see the first two episodes. Well last night i wasnt doing anything at the time so i turned on Jerimiah in our den and he sat down and watched it. He really liked the show and kept asking me questions about it. This morning he borrowd my tapes of the first two episodes and i have him hooked. I dont think anything will stop him from getting home on time to watch it on Friday nights

Oh, my.

My jaw is seriously on the floor. Let me pick it up.

While watching this episode, I was on IM with a friend. All I could say to him was that this show was really fucked up. It was really freaking me out.

Jason Priestley, I agree, was excellent.

There were a few moments where I felt the sequence of events was a bit weak, and the script could have handled a *few* early fight scenes better (I was really confused as to what was going on in the one where Jeremiah got to the base), but, overall...?

Still pretty good. It's nice to see a show that I can't predict where it's going next - while, honestly, I should have seen the ending ("Hey, God - it's your angel, KABOOM!") knowing that the hero never gets like that, it still was really hard to digest.

I'm getting a bit more insight as to what makes Jeremiah tick, although there has to be *some* reason that he's so altruistic, besides the incident with his brother. One thing, though - Jeremiah, although centered, is certainly a bit off-kilter. Everyone in this world is off-kilter.

I still maintain what I said about Markus in my review for "The Long Road." What Sarah said about Markus was echoed in Julie's sentiment about Michael... anybody want to comment?

I continue to like Kurdy. He still talks just like a guy I know.

The ending with the girl with the braids - that really, really hit me... did it make anyone just go WHOA...? That she'd be so willing to pick up a gun? Says something about the world...

And The Ground, Sown With Salt. What you can do with pay cable... *whistles in appreciation*

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>

The ending with the girl with the braids - that really, really hit me... did it make anyone just go WHOA...? That she'd be so willing to pick up a gun? Says something about the world...
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Mankind is only a step away from the days from when one had to fight, and kill, to survive. And when everyone in "the tribe" would die to protect the others. Thus, Jeremiah's world is one where all the laws that protect us today are gone and has reverted back to "kill or be killed" It follows knowing how to use, and willing to use, guns, knives or whatever, is a necessary survival skill for everyone, male or female.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>The ending with the girl with the braids - that really, really hit me... did it make anyone just go WHOA...? That she'd be so willing to pick up a gun? Says something about the world...</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Willing? She freaking OWNED with it. She was hosing guys down like Rambo. Definately wasnt anything new to her thats for sure.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> 'Yo ass always has a plan <hr></blockquote>

Just to agree with Channe for a minute, I also know a guy who talks just like Kurdy. I'm not sure if JMS wrote this episode or not, but if he did, kudos. To be honest, I had my reservations as to whether he could write a young African-American character, but Kurdy is much more understandable to me than is Jeremiah.

As you said, I just don't understand his altruistic streak. From what I can tell, the guy is practically the second coming of Jesus. He fishes, he helps people, he has temptations but doesn't sin, he talks about his father constantly, he gets new apostles every episode; he's trying to lead his commrades to a better place (V-sector)..... he basically IS Jesus without the miracles.

And I have to admit that the little girl with the AK did shock me somewhat ... along with the gratuitous nude/sex scene.

This was a really good episode, though kinda disturbing at times. (Especially the scene where those people had to beg for their lives.)

JMS sure is good at writing madmen, isn't he?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dulann:
<font color=yellow>This was a really good episode, though kinda disturbing at times. (Especially the scene where those people had to beg for their lives.)

JMS sure is good at writing madmen, isn't he?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
One thing I thought was interesting about that scene is how it was filmed. Obviously being on Showtime, there would have been no issues with actually showing the people get shot in the head. Hell they do scenes like that on other movie channels and cable channels, sometimes even on network TV. However they never actually showed that part. They showed close-ups of the people just before to catch the fear on their faces, then left the rest off to the viewers imaginations. I think that made it a bit more chilling than if they just showed them getting 'capped.'

Anyone know a link to a site with a synopsis of the last episode? Yours truly had his head in the clouds when setting the VCR, so it kindly taped am instead of pm. I wish Showtime would rerun the show at least one time during the week like HBO does with their series shows, but it seems they only rerun it on Showtime Extreme which I can't get.

I've been to http://abyss.hubbe.net/jeremiah/ but the synopsis there doesn't include the knitty-gritty details like what was said about Valhalla Sector. Inquiring minds want to know! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

-Haze

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>Hell they do scenes like that on other movie channels and cable channels, sometimes even on network TV. However they never actually showed that part. They showed close-ups of the people just before to catch the fear on their faces, then left the rest off to the viewers imaginations. I think that made it a bit more chilling than if they just showed them getting 'capped.'</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Ever seen a Hitchcock film? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I think JMS understands that sometimes the best way to make people shiver is to have them use their imaginations...

When is showtime extreme supposed to re-run this week's episode?

The person that i get my tapes from screwed up with the timer on his VCR and didn't get this last one, and i don't wanna miss it /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif. I emailed him and he has showtime extreme.

Originally posted by TriggerHappy:
<font color=yellow>When is showtime extreme supposed to re-run this week's episode?</font color=yellow>

I wasn't aware that Showtime Extreme was showing Jeremiah as I was under the impression they were only showing the repeats on Showtime Beyond. I don't have any other Showtime channel besides the main one and ShoToo (I think) so I cannot say with any sort of certainty.

Still, they advertise it being rebroadcast on Showtime Beyond on Sundays at 10:45pm so my guess is that you missed it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif I would check your local listings to be sure however ...

Lyta,
I have Showtime Extreme and haven't seen it listed but, like you, have seen it advertised on Showtime Beyond (which I don't have in my package.) Along these lines, I have seen Showtime occasionally rebroadcast SG-1 episodes on regular Showtime on a Saturday following the Friday night airing when they (apparently) needed a filler. Maybe they will do the same with Jeremaih.

Thanks for the info. I can't check local listings, since i'm not in the US, and even if i could it would do me no good, since i'm not the one with the Dish that has showtime /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

I get tapes of shows i can't see here in Toronto from a relative in New Jersey. I'll email him, maybe he has showtime beyond, so he can check when it airs. If he doesn't see it, i can't see it, so i'm trying to do us both a favour (he's already making a big one for me).

Thanks for the help.

P.S.
You've no idea how many times i've cursed Showtime for not making themselves available outside the states, and BellExpressvu (my sattelite system) for not pressuring to aquire the channel(s). You people in the States don't know how lucky you are /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif
All we got here in terms of good "premium" service is TMN (the movie network), who will show "The Chronicle" but not Jeremiah, ugh!

Sorry, I meant Showtime Beyond, not Showtime Extreme.

I was looking at the Showtime schedule for the month of March and it does appear that Jeremiah is replayed only once per week Sunday nights on Showtime Beyond at 10:45pm EST.

You can check out the schedule for all the Showtime channels at: http://sho.com/schedules/pdf.cfm

They are all in pdf format, you just need Adobe Acrobat installed which is a free download.

- Haze

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TriggerHappy:
<font color=yellow>
P.S.
You've no idea how many times i've cursed Showtime for not making themselves available outside the states, and BellExpressvu (my sattelite system) for not pressuring to aquire the channel(s). You people in the States don't know how lucky you are /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif
All we got here in terms of good "premium" service is TMN (the movie network), who will show "The Chronicle" but not Jeremiah, ugh!</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Like it or not, it's Showtime's prerogative to be a strictly American thing.

I estimate that there will be foreign deals done for Jeremiah sooner or later - it's doing pretty well - but you'll probably have to wait two years at least, because Showtime has a two-year exclusive deal to be the *only* network showing it, at all, whatsoever, no matter where in the world you're talking.

JMS did say in an interview that there was a lot of foreign-investor interest in the show, though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back