• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

It truly warms my heart

Hey there!

To answer your question regarding whether I have a gymnastics background, I have to tell you that I don't have any formal training. I have however, always been a very active person, especially as a child. I used to spend hours trying all sorts of acrobatic moves in the playground or in gym class.

I have enjoyed dance for many years, and I think all of that coupled with my intense desire to just get out there and try it helped immensly with the wire work.

I had a blast. Thanks for your question. Myriam
smile.gif

------------------

Myriam, I just had a thought.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

I know, it's a scary thing to have happen.
I'll try not to let it become a bad habit.
laugh.gif

How much exposure to films of the Astronauts in free fall have you had??

The wire work sounds like that's the environment they are trying to simulate. JMS and Babylonian have some very Good contacts at NASA and Jet Propulsion Lab. If you asked, they could probably get you some very good studies of the problems and benefits of the environment.

Like, the fact that sudden, violent moves, such as Punch or Kick, would probably leave a person out of control.
Moves have to be planned and graceful with a minimum of muscular effort because of the "every action has an opposite and equal Reaction" problem.

Punch out Hard at something and find yourself bouncing all over the room until you manage to grab a handhold.

A person could get Hurt that way.
Not to mention what can go wrong if you bounce off the wrong Switch.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Hi Bakana,

I just wanted to tell you that those are all excellent remarks and I'll have to take them up with Joe. Very interesting indeed!
smile.gif

Cheers, Myriam.

------------------

Yeah, I've been thinking about the spacial dynamics of the gunnery pod myself.

Sick, huh?

It couldn't be a simulation of zero-gravity for all of the reasons Bakana mentioned. The way the real-life astronauts get around and the way Hanks and Co. did in Apollo 13 was primarily by pushing off walls. After that, they could rotate their bodies to change orientation (like when they come in head first through the ceiling and want to sit in a chair).

The actors had to learn to use economy of movement because initially they did over-compensate and bounce off walls. It's like learning to swim in air.

So to be able to do the things suggested in the pod, without touching the walls, would require some other artificial manipulation of gravity - either as a pushing-off point or as an anchor for Sarah's center of gravity from which she could spin, flip, turn, etc.

Am I making sense?

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
So to be able to do the things suggested in the pod, without touching the walls, would require some other artificial manipulation of gravity - either as a pushing-off point or as an anchor for Sarah's center of gravity from which she could spin, flip, turn, etc.

Am I making sense?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, maybe something like an inertial dampening field, to restrict movements so that they don't send the gunner bouncing off the walls? Or a tractor beam version of the flying wires to hold the gunner in place while measuring their limb movements and allowing them a greater freedom of movements than normal gravity?

------------------

Seriously, this is the part that makes me ashamed of being a sci-fi fan.
It's just a show people!
To analyze it to death and look for anything that isn't fully scientifically correct is just IMHO stupid. Watch and enjoy, I'll bet you most people won't even notice that unless they utterly and completely lack a life
laugh.gif

I mean, if I was JMS and someone told me that, I'd just say: Well, they have better technology that allows them to do that.
And I'd leave it at that, because I don't know if anyone has seen Galaxy Quest, but those nerds that kept going up to the cast members and kept asking them about inconsistencies in the ship specs, well they really made me wonder. I mean, are we sci-fi fans really like that? I answered no, and I hoped that we will never become that stereotype that the public has set out for us, but it looks like some really have fallen prey to that.

May Valen be with you.

------------------

Some of us are. I've caught myself doing that at times with character info ("but so-and-so wouldn't have done such-and-such!") and been summarily ashamed of myself.

There's a distinct fan culture out there that relies heavily on the hairsplitting, and like it or not, if you like a show, you're going to engage in it at least a little bit (ever seen a rabid ER fan? Case in point.) I bet you can find some anthropological studies done on this.

I haven't been part of the fen-culture for a while though - I like to sit back, relax, and be entertained. Sure, I'll probably think "wait, that can't be done in free-fall," but that'll be overshadowed with, "that really looks kinda neat."

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 26, 2001).]

And I'm always ashamed of over-opinionated, insufferable pricks - especially when they've been given "Moderator" status.

Listen Sol. This is a "discussion forum". Look it up. If we don't "discuss", there is no "forum", and thus, nothing for you to criticize.

I will not approach Miriam at a convention and ask her, "What was it like when you were flying in space?" or "Did you ever meet Marcus Cole when you were in Ranger training?" That is Trekker / Questarian behavior.

However, if we want to discuss what type of technology would be required to actually create something that will do what JMS wants it to do. That's our right. Some of us use our heads to speculate a bit. Enough with your condescending proclamations. You are NOT Shai Alyte, you know.

May Valen bite me.

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

Some other thoughts.

We look for a realistic portrayal of science in science fiction.

Before Babylon 5 came out, JMS wrestled with the idea of doing the visuals without sound, a la 2001. In the end, dramatic license won out over hard science. Stanley Kubrick could afford the risk of putting his audience to sleep. Joe Straczynski could not. But overall, they continually strove for a higher level of scientific accuracy, where possible.

We are allowed to question things. Thought is good.

I mean, I love the movie ALIENS, but Jesus H. Christ, did Cameron have to make Ripley actually CLIMB a ladder with the Sulaco's bay doors open?

Most scientists agree that Dave Bowman would not have survived even that brief exposure to vacuum shown in 2001. I think it lasted six seconds.

The other day, I saw John Crichton flying around in space, without a helmet, for what seemed like a minute, using his gun to propel his escape to another ship.

Don't these people understand that once the body's internal pressure is exposed to ZERO external pressure, the body pops like a overfed mosquito? That and the fact that the person would either freeze instantly in near absolute zero or burn instantly if exposed to direct unfiltered sunlight, means we should NEVER see someone floating around without a helmet!

Just because it's a show, doesn't make it okay.

I'm sure JMS would have no objections for us trying to figure out what makes the gunnery pod work. Unlike other folks in the business, he doesn't say, "Hey, it's just a show."

Finally (ramble ramble) in conclusion:

The overriding theme of Galaxy Quest (aside from comedy) was one of redemption. The urinal scene showed the usual treatment of sci-fi actors and their fans from the general public. Geeks, losers, has-beens, etc.

But contrary to those who are too cool and "above it all", the washed-up actors and some of their most pathetically dweebish fans are the ones who save the day.

If you think Galaxy Quest was only about how stupid the fans look, then you missed the non-judgemental message that the filmmakers were trying to impart.

------------------
~Jeffrey Sinclair

[This message has been edited by B5_Obsessed (edited October 26, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Don't these people understand that once the body's internal pressure is exposed to ZERO external pressure, the body pops like a overfed mosquito?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That depends... The following was stolen from the newsgroup sci.space.tech:

In short, if you hold your breath, your lungs explode, if you don't, then the oxygen in your blood boils out of your lungs, leaving you unconsious in around 10 seconds (the oxygen leaves, unused, rather than being converted to CO2, as when you hold your breath.). After around 60s, brain damage probably starts to set in, and after
5 mins, you are likely dead. (due to there hardly being any oxygen in the body, far less for example than someone drowning)

After that, you probably end up cooling/bloating, and eventually end up a freeze-dried corpse.

A more in-depth analasys can be found here <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>That and the fact that the person would either freeze instantly in near absolute zero<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How can vacuum have a temperature? You do loose heat due to radiation, but there is no absolute zero AFAIK.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<sigh>

I just noticed two things about this thread:

1) It is called "It truly warms my heart," and was a sweet, sincere sentiment by a lovely actress from the movie who was kind enough to take the time to post it.

2) It somehow degraded into bickering, insults, and nonsense.

In a rare effort by the mighty GKarsEye to bring peace to the boards, here's a limerick I posted in the fandom forum. My guess is that the actors only hang around the Rangers forum and don't read the other stuff, so, Sarah, this one's for you:

An actress plays Sarah Cantrell
She acts in Rangers well
Her names' Myriam Sirois
She looks good to moi
'Cause she is as hot as hell

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I think B5_Obsessed is saying what I was trying to.

There's a distinct difference, I think, between talking about the science behind the gunnery pod on a message board and the kind of fenculture you were talking about, Sol.

They just want to know how it works, that's all, since B5 claims to be Science Fiction.

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 26, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
They just want to know how it works, that's all, since B5 claims to be Science Fiction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, when challenged, jms claims to be Speculative Fiction, to get a bit more leeway.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
<sigh>

I just noticed two things about this thread:

1) It is called "It truly warms my heart," and was a sweet, sincere sentiment by a lovely actress from the movie who was kind enough to take the time to post it.

2) It somehow degraded into bickering, insults, and nonsense.

In a rare effort by the mighty GKarsEye to bring peace to the boards, here's a limerick I posted in the fandom forum. My guess is that the actors only hang around the Rangers forum and don't read the other stuff, so, Sarah, this one's for you:

An actress plays Sarah Cantrell
She acts in Rangers well
Her names' Myriam Sirois
She looks good to moi
'Cause she is as hot as hell

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I think both b5_obsessed's and drakh's last posts are quite good and don't qualify as bickering, so maybe the bickering is over.

You're right, Sarah/Myriam is hot, in a Dodger sort of way. However, Lyta/Pat's still my fave.

BTW, guess what I'm having for a late lunch,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Breen! </font></td></tr></table>

smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Misconduct?

Ooh, slap my widdle hands!

Your way of "stating an opinion without trying to offend" is to state that the discussion taking place on the board makes you "ashamed to be a science fiction fan".

At least I admit, I am offended by your judgemental reactions (not to mention your Trek sensitivity) and your lack of social grace.

I can't even type the work Trek in my post now? Just what do you think Galaxy Quest and it's fans was based on?

And who cares if I misspelled Shai Alyt? It's just a made up title from a tv show.

------------------
~Jeffrey Sinclair

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I think B5_Obsessed is saying what I was trying to.

There's a distinct difference, I think, between talking about the science behind the gunnery pod on a message board and the kind of fenculture you were talking about, Sol.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was just an oppinion on my part, not to be taken as an insult by those that do, or as some type of order that you shouldn't.
You explained it perfectly well, and I understood what you meant.
B5_Obsessed on the other hand started insulting me and Valen, while misspelling Shai Alyt. I would never dare to compare the post of a proffessional writer such as youself to that of a rude 12 year old.
I agree with what you're saying, and during your time at the board I've established a certain respect for you, while B5_Obsessed I've just come to regard as what he/she is... a troll, and learned to partially ignore as such.

May Valen be with you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> B5_Obsessed on the other hand started insulting me and Valen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, that's funny!
shocked.gif

------------------
~Jeffrey Sinclair

Misconduct?

Ooh, slap my widdle hands!
- I'll just take that as a confirmation of your age...
Your way of "stating an opinion without trying to offend" is to state that the discussion taking place on the board makes you "ashamed to be a science fiction fan".
- I was saying that it's things like that, that non sci-fi fans have against us, and ridicule us for.
At least I admit, I am offended by your judgemental reactions (not to mention your Trek sensitivity) and your lack of social grace.
- What is it with you and Trek? I'm not talking about it here, you are. As to my lack of social grace, all I have to say is that atleast I obviously have a lot more of it than you.
I can't even type the work Trek in my post now? Just what do you think Galaxy Quest and it's fans was based on?
- So? I still fail to see your point, or what Trek has to do with the discussion at hand. I compared it to that because it was the first example popped into my head.

And who cares if I misspelled Shai Alyt? It's just a made up title from a tv show.
-So why is it so important to you to say that I am not one? Don't you think I know that? Oh.. I forgot, you don't think.... Otherwise you wouldn't be posting this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>-And you can't spell Shai Alyt!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you can't spell opinion. It has only one 'p,' so nyeh-nyeh, nyeh-nyeh-nyeh
tongue.gif

And B5_Obsessed said he was offended, so, according to your logic, you have to apologize. In fact, I demand that you apologize! Now!
laugh.gif

B5_Obsessed: How dare you criticise Star Trek, the greatest thing in the universe since penecillin? Captain Sisko and the Prophets came to me in a dream and Deanna Troi is pregnant with my love child. Burn in hell, heathen!

Disclaimer for the humor-impaired: this post is a joke, and intended to point out the stupidity of everyone who isn't me. So there.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Hey guys, lets not taint this thread with petty bickering.

Myriam was kind enough to post this positive thread and thank us for caring and it has lost it's way a bit.

Thanks Myriam for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and all the best for your upcoming successes.

*Smiles*

And hehe G'Kar you's funny
wink.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back