• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

It truly warms my heart

I confess, I only took two years of college physics, and I remember virtually nothing of it.

But how can any place have no temperature?

I remember hearing how hard it was to come to a "near absolute zero" temperature in lab conditions (here on Earth and such). But how can any medium have no temperature? I'd guess (guess only, nothing more reliable than that) that vacuum is near absolute zero, but not quite.

Just IMHO

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Great Maker.

My informative post disappeared.

It is unstuck...in time.

I knew I should have invested in a better time stablizer. Silly BS.
crazy.gif

------------------
"There's Snow White and the Seven Narns, Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra, others..."
- Captain Matthew Gideon, The Needs of Earth
Rising Star

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
Great Maker.

My informative post disappeared.

It is unstuck...in time.

I knew I should have invested in a better time stablizer. Silly BS.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

computers are so much fun, aren't they?
laugh.gif
mad.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

I swear I had a meaningful post to add to the situation.

I quoted Kosh, in fact. This is an abomination.
mad.gif

------------------
"There's Snow White and the Seven Narns, Who's Your Little Pak'ma'ra, others..."
Rising Star

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackStar:
I swear I had a meaningful post to add to the situation.

I quoted Kosh, in fact. This is an abomination.
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Life's a b****

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazybillyo:
Good point BS. I like the idea, but I still have my doubts. Like cheese in a vacuum: how will it taste? Will it explode? Can you still eat it after long exposure to space?

These all have to be addressed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And even more importantly, are the Liandra's medical facilities equipped to handle it, should the cheese decide to go bad...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
But how can any place have no temperature?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Because you need atoms to have one. The hotter an object is, the faster the atoms vibrate. The colder it is, the slower the atoms move. Absolute zero is when the atoms stop moving.

Since vacuum per defintion doesn't have any atoms, there's nothing there to have a temperature.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.

drakh@spamcop.net

Except that cheese floating around. I bet the sun has fried it by now.

------------------
Rising Star

Wow what a thread and it started so beautifully with Myriam Sirois post.
I really cannot wait to see this lovly lady act in a show I hope to have much greatness to it and a new beginning to a story.

I have been e-mailed by a couple people requesting that I be closing down this thread.

Well I am closing it now as it has mutated into somthing else anyway. Remember new threads can always be oppened to discuss unresolved issue's.

Myriam feel free to open make another thread when you wish to.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited October 26, 2001).]

Are there a lot more men on this board than women, or is it just me?

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Are there a lot more men on this board than women, or is it just me?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We're just geting even for all the rabid drooling over Gary Cole and David Allen Brooks on the Crusade board...

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
We're just geting even for all the rabid drooling over Gary Cole and David Allen Brooks on the Crusade board...
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, no, no, no! *shudders*

Older women have plenty to ogle at in Bruce Boxleitner, but for the gals of Generation X, there just isn't anyone.

(sarcasm) Sniff. (/sarcasm)

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 26, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> How can vacuum have a temperature? You do loose heat due to radiation, but there is no absolute zero AFAIK. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I'm not a physicist this is a bit of a handwavey explaination, so please excuse me:

Temperature is defined in terms of kinetic energy of atoms, and since a vacuum doesn't have any atoms in, it has zero temperature. Absolute zero is -273deg Centigrade (or 0K).

HTH

------------------
Zog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> An actress plays Sarah Cantrell
She acts in Rangers well
Her names' Myriam Sirois
She looks good to moi
'Cause she is as hot as hell <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that, mes copains, is an understatement.
laugh.gif

So let's stop the arguing and start the worshipping. Myriam surely deserves it.
wink.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

For the record, my limmerick also mentions that she is a good actress. And you filthy people are turning it into something sleazy. Harumph
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

[This message has been edited by GKarsEye (edited October 26, 2001).]

My question was always: "can't we stop the ogling and watch the story?"

------------------
--

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nukemall:
Temperature is defined in terms of kinetic energy of atoms, and since a vacuum doesn't have any atoms in, it has zero temperature.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, temperature is the rate of transfer of kinetic energy from one group of atoms to another. Or something like that. When there are no atoms in contact with you, there can't be any transfer. So vacuum has no temperature. That's why vacuum is used as an insulator in thermoses and the like.

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
My question was always: "can't we stop the ogling and watch the story?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, it's not like were suggesting she should be given a special ba... uhhh.... weapons officer uniform
crazy.gif
like they'd do on That Other Show.

------------------

drakh@spamcop.net

Older women have plenty to ogle at in Bruce Boxleitner, but for the gals of Generation X, there just isn't anyone.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there is (as long as you are willing to count anyone in their 20s as Gen X).
laugh.gif

Not Boxleitner, though...
shocked.gif

OK, for the record (since it may not always appear so from my posts): I did watch B5 for the story. I would never have the patience to watch 2x110 episodes (plus the movies, and Crusade) of something just for the eye candy.

I just cannot be bothered to discuss technical details or actively ponder all possible alternative ways of explaining something.
smile.gif
Besides, I've already done plenty of that, it just happened before I found the online B5 community.

Heck, I've even read several of the books, and there was no one to ogle in them.
laugh.gif

Ah yes... what was the point of my post now? It would probably be best to sum it up with something like this:

I am grateful for the chance to look forward to another story in the B5 universe, and I have nothing but deep respect and admiration for the people - JMS, the cast, the crew - who bring this story to us.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
And I'm always ashamed of over-opinionated, insufferable pricks - especially when they've been given "Moderator" status.

- Right, I remember you know, you were that intolerant prick that couldn't help but go around and bashing trek. I remmember you and your kind well. If you question my placement talk to Antony, but you have no right to publicly question the authority of a moderator, do you understand that?

Listen Sol. This is a "discussion forum". Look it up. If we don't "discuss", there is no "forum", and thus, nothing for you to criticize.

- Criticize? I was stating an oppinion. One that I tried my best to put in an inoffensive way. Seems to me like you're the one trying to look for trouble all the time. I never told you not to do it, I just said how I feel about it, and that I will never do it.

I will not approach Miriam at a convention and ask her, "What was it like when you were flying in space?" or "Did you ever meet Marcus Cole when you were in Ranger training?" That is Trekker / Questarian behavior.
- Again you can't keep Trek out of this. I've given people links to a trek messageboard before. If you need to discuss it so badly go there and do it. This is a B5 Board.
However, if we want to discuss what type of technology would be required to actually create something that will do what JMS wants it to do. That's our right. Some of us use our heads to speculate a bit. Enough with your condescending proclamations. You are NOT Shai Alyte, you know.
-And you can't spell Shai Alyt!
I'm not taking away that right. I'm just stating an oppinion, if you don't like it, you can go bang your head against a wall for all I care.

May Valen bite me.
-I'm sure he feels the same way about you.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I won't even bother Antony with this, he has better things to than go around warning some 10 year old on a power trip about their misconduct.

Oh, and that part about Valen is my sig, but ofcourse we can't expect someone like you to know that, now can we?

May Valen be with you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back