• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

When good actors go... mediocre

GKarsEye

Regular
I saw The Recruit last night.

It was... bleh.

The actors were OK, and it had a couple of funny moments. But the suspense was not suspenseful, and the thrills weren't all that thrilling.

And if you like to laugh at how movies get absurd in regards to computers and technology, you'll love this one.

The "twist" ending was ruined for me by the trailors and TV spots. If you watch them, you, too, know what happens and do not need to spend the 8 bucks.

Though this is typical of major films, the one thing that kind of bugs me is that Al Pacino can do so much better. In fact, he was really the only entertaining part of the movie. But he is now entertaining in a clown-ish fashion, often acting like charicature of himself. Gone is the subtlety of Michael Corleone, the intensity of Scarface. Now he cracks some cute one-liners and yells a lot.

And don't even get me started on Robert DeNiro. Someone has to teach him to say "no" to a script.

And don't even get me started on Robert DeNiro. Someone has to teach him to say "no" to a script

Ah, he's nowhere near the level that Michael Caine is (or, at least, used to be) for accepting *every* part that was offered him.

Ohhhh. Did anyone here see "The Quiet American?" I've heard Michael Caine is VERY good in that.

I really have no desire to see The Recruit. Nothing stood out about it in the trailers. There are very few movies that make me want to spend money, and most of those who do only air in the local avant-garde theater.
smile.gif

I've only seen the trailers on the 'net for The Recruit... as much as I love Pacino, it really didn't seem all that great. Dunno though... if it ever ends up here (which I sort of doubt but you never know) I might go and see it just for the reason that I don't get to see Pacino on big screen all that often.
grin.gif

A major selling point in the ads was that picking up chicks was THE major training task. Frankly I'm dissapointed in GKeye for not smelling out the awful before hand and getting duped out of the money
tongue.gif

A major selling point in the ads was that picking up chicks was THE major training task.

No, it wasn't, they just hyped that up in the ads. It was part of an "exercise," but it wasn't like some crucial plot point.

That might have at least been entertaining.

Frankly I'm dissapointed in GKeye for not smelling out the awful before hand and getting duped out of the money

*hangs head in shame*
This is the first time I got suckered into a bad movie since losing my girlfriend (the girlfriend is, of course, the creature most often responsible for dragging a man to bad movies).

Lately, my friends have been teasing me a lot about my tastes in film (claiming they are marked by nostalgia, obscurity, and pretention), albeit good-naturedly. So, I got "peer pressured" into going due to my buddy's jibes and my sexy roommate batting those gorgeous eyelashes at me.

Funny thing, as we left the theater, I said nothing, and my friend comes up to me and says, "I know, I hated it, too."

*hangs head in shame*
This is the first time I got suckered into a bad movie since losing my girlfriend (the girlfriend is, of course, the creature most often responsible for dragging a man to bad movies).

I sometimes think that that's the purpose of SO's. A friend of mine was dragged to Glitter by his SO. He came out, and told his SO, "you owe me, big time."

Admiral Dave

Back