• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

We Need a Pep-Talk! :)

People shouldn't get too comfortable dissing SciFi. Before you know it, J. Michael Straczynski's Polaris might be airing on it. Given that it's being developed for them directly, probably with USA Networks as the studio, I'd say it has a good chance of going into production with a full season order... Heck, an article in Dreamwatched talked about SciFi considering a 44 episode commitment.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Well the channel didn't suck last summer <hr></blockquote>

Aww c'mon, the innate suckiness was there all along. On a series note, however, I forgot all about SG-1 moving there. Something tells me that this doesn't bode well for stargate. Given the chance, I'm sure those guys will screw that up as well.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Maybe the asteroid will help the "next cycle of life" get started. <hr></blockquote>

That was the part that cheered me up. Surely evolution, godly forces, hocus pocus or whatever is responsible for us being here can't do any worse the next time around.

I'm bummed about Rangers, but I don't think we should go into a knee-jerk reaction about the Sci-Fi Channel's administrative capacities yet.

Why? They're businesspeople. They're doing what's good for business. Not every job applicant gets the job.

I'm gonna miss Rangers, yeah. But, hot damn. 44-episode commitment for Polaris?

I'd be up for watchin' it. Especially if it's a JMS show.

Londos hair i was with you until you called the Chronicle Half Assed. That show was excellent and had pretty good ratings. It was cancelled because some exec didnt get the humor. That was said by the people on the crew of the chronicle on the sci-fi boards after it was cancelled. First wave was a good show, but the reason the entire thing was rushed was because the production company was bought out by one over seas and they decided not to do anything in North America. So first wave was gone.

Capt

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LondosHair:
<font color=yellow>I just want to at least live long enough to see Bonnie Hammer

A) get fired
B) resign
C) choke on the shitty ratings her new soap operas will be getting</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

With the emotional maturity displayed by this statement, it does not shock me that TV networks don't respect your opinion.

I'm really agreeing with Savant here...

You may not *like* it, but the facts are inescapable, and so's the dictates of business. As much as they're fans, they also run a *business*.

If you sell kitchen gadgets, and your Extra Dandy Peeler performs less than you thought it would, you're not going to take a beating by leaving it on the market for die-hard Peeler fans.

Yeah, simplistic, I know... but think about it.

I may hate the decision, but I understand.

Mumblegrumble... damn football.

Dental plan...
Lisa needs braces...
Dental plan...
Lisa needs braces...

Oh, damn, lost my train of thought.
Well, I don't know about you, but my posterior is not on lease by JMS. I watch B5, just because he also makes other stuff, it doesn't mean that they have to be good, or that I have to watch them.
Gene Roddenbery made Andromeda and I only watched that after a bunch of my friends started and said it was okay.
I mean, all due respect to him for making B5, but when I classify myself, I classify myself as a B5 fan, not as a JMS groupie. I mean, seriously, get a life person /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Make some of your own choices, it'd be different if we actually knew what the hell it was, then I could atleast see some reason for such enthusiasm.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>...but they dropped the ball when it came to TNG, DS9, Voyager, and others because they'd rather spend money on crap like Lexx & Black Scorpion<hr></blockquote>

1) They bought TOS first, when it was the only one available. (The others were tied up in exclusive contracts elsewhere.) That was several years ago.

2) They tried to get all the Treks (including TOS itself, since their contract was coming to an end), but TNN out-bid them. It wasn't a matter of "preferring" to buy shows like Black Scorpion, it was a matter of the total amount of money they could commit to. TNN (at the time) was owned by a larger corporate parent and had deeper pockets. They'll get all of the Trek shows as their current cable contracts expire. (Including TOS, which Sci-Fi loses either this year or next, IIRC.) TNN reportedly paid something in the area of $300 million for the shows, and Sci-Fi was the last network (there had been several others) still bidding against them to the very end.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Gene Roddenbery made Andromeda<hr></blockquote>

Er, Gene's been dead for quite awhile, so I don't think you can blame Andromeda on him. (The only thing actually based on his writings in Andromeda is the name "Dylan Hunt" and the recycled Buck Rogers concept of a man waking up in a strange future - Dylan Hunt was the main character in Genesis II, a similar series set on Earth which went through two unsold pilots with different casts back in the 1970s.)

In all of the "Gene R" projects since his death, somebody has taken something like an old envelope with a title on it or a one line description of a story jotted in the margins of a Star Trek script and used it as a excuse to put his magic name above the title of a new show that he had nothing to do with. He didn't "do" any of these things, and so deserves neither praise nor blame.

BTW, are you like this with books to? Are you a General's Daughter fan, but not a Nelson DeMille fan? Usually when I see or read something and like it, I look for other works by the same author. (Of course, I'm a little odd. I actually have favorite screenwriters and am far more likely to see a new movie because I know William Goldman wrote it than I am to see one because a given director directed it.)

Regards,

Joe

Regards,

Well, I was just giving an example of how one can like a certain product but not neccessarily have to follow everything they make.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> Well, I don't know about you, but my posterior is not on lease by JMS. I watch B5, just because he also makes other stuff, it doesn't mean that they have to be good, or that I have to watch them.
<hr></blockquote>

Damn, I don't think we're related, but sometimes I wonder.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> It wasn't a matter of "preferring" to buy shows like Black Scorpion, it was a matter of the total amount of money they could commit to. TNN (at the time) was owned by a larger corporate parent and had deeper pockets.<hr></blockquote>

Plus, let's not forget that TNN and Paramount are both owned by Viacom, and that TNN was/is in the process of a major rebranding project that the Trek series could be a great help with. Corporate synergy strikes again.

Well, what can I say, great minds think alike.
Oh god, I gotta get my ass into bed soon, so many people talking to me online, and the new reply button is tempting the hell out of me /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by solaris5:
<font color=yellow>
Well, I don't know about you, but my posterior is not on lease by JMS. I watch B5, just because he also makes other stuff, it doesn't mean that they have to be good, or that I have to watch them.
Gene Roddenbery made Andromeda and I only watched that after a bunch of my friends started and said it was okay.
I mean, all due respect to him for making B5, but when I classify myself, I classify myself as a B5 fan, not as a JMS groupie. I mean, seriously, get a life person /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Make some of your own choices, it'd be different if we actually knew what the hell it was, then I could atleast see some reason for such enthusiasm.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

This brings up something that I have been wondering about for a while. When was JMS deified? I mean, while not perfect, B5 was decent enough. But why is it that anything he touches is perceived as having descended from above?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The Juche Warrior:
<font color=yellow>This brings up something that I have been wondering about for a while. When was JMS deified?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>http://www.mgm.com/scifi/02feb/press_tour.html

<font color=yellow>STRACZYNSKI: Tell your friend, if I were a god, I would have more hair and a deeper voice.</font color=yellow>

Now, I can't speak for anyone else, but I've thuroughly enjoyed his work on The Real Ghostbusters, Captain Power, New Twilight Zone, heck, even Murder,She Wrote. And now I'm liking Jeremiah.

Why do people always think that we deify JMS just because we like his work? I've been encountering this since I first got online, especially from the anti-B5 trolls. I think that people are just too cynical these days.

Tammy

I never knew anti-B5 trolls existed. We're too much of a niche audience to have anti trolls. I beleive only ST and SW have those.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I think that people are just too cynical these days.
<hr></blockquote>

I dunno, I gotta go with Bill Mahr on this... People aren't cynical enough.

They are all over the place, especially in the newsgroups. They used to be at rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5, but now they seem to be at rec.arts.sf.tv. Podkayne Fries & Ford Thaxton are two of the worst ones. They think we are a bunch of crazy fanatics.

Tammy

I have noticed that a lot of B5 bashing trolls are jealous Star Trek fans. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back