• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Theatrical Trailer

Look on the bright side. That 'Crossing over with John Edward' show can't possibly last much longer. There is an hour free right there!

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
Look on the bright side. That 'Crossing over with John Edward' show can't possibly last much longer. There is an hour free right there!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if they stop playing Quantum Leap that's another hour right there.
laugh.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

The Babylon 5 hour will be available for Rangers. Even Sci-Fi can only repeat the same program so many times without adding some new material.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

{marketing-student devil's-advocate ramble}

If I were a Suit, I'd keep on renewing John Edward. He's been getting fairly good ratings, people like the show, and people keep on watching the show no matter what time it's on. It'd be, frankly, a mistake to get rid of it at this point in time.

Y'all are going to kill me for saying this, but from what I see, Joss Whedon is far more influential than JMS right now in the pure, unadulterated "look-at-my-pretty-show-and-what-it-can-do-for-your-network" clout that a show needs. JMS, while fantastic, does not have two (count 'em, two) genre hits currently raking in the dough for two (count 'em, two) different networks. I don't know much about the business, really, but from what I see, if I were a Suit I'd be gunning for a Joss Whedon show, too.

Which is exactly the kind of thinking that kills good things thought up by good people. Hell, it nearly killed Babylon 5 before.

But, I'm not a Suit. I'm a non-Nielsen viewer. Which means all I can do is sit here, speculate, stew in my seat, cross my fingers, complain, have minor heart attacks, and hope (and, as Galen says, "hope is all we have.")

{/marketing-student devil's-advocate ramble}

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited December 20, 2001).]

Why don't they get rid of The Chronicle? I think the airwaves will be much improved...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by admiraldave:
I'm willing to bet that Firefly will be more like an irregular crew, which will make it more comparable to Lexx, Farscape or Andromeda than B5:LR.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're probably right. By small I was going for small, claustrophobic, cramped, etc. Firefly might be like that. B5:LotR is supposed to be like that, right?

Oh, and I get Dylan's point about Sci Fi seems to be giving away another hour of programming. I felt much the same way when they put "Black Scorpion" and "Crossing Over with John Edward" on the air, and didn't revive Crusade. Yes I know that those two are probably cheap, but still it's going for something that they *don't* have and passing over or at least postponing something that they *do* have.

Garbage shows[1] just seem to get a free ride, while good shows have to beg to be shown. With good shows, it's always

100 "Wait for the ratings, and we'll see."
200 "Jump through this hoop, and we'll see."
300 Goto 200

[1] I'm not referring to Firefly here.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 21, 2001).]

Channe:

Yea I know that there are reasons that John Edward is on the air, and that its cheap for them, but I like to poke fun at it none the less.

And very good point about 'The Chronicle'. I had forgotton about that little gem (I had tried to force myself too). Further proof that they will put ANYTHING on the air sooner or later. Not that its a bad thing. I mean look at it like this: If they keep putting shoddy shows like that on the air, then Rangers HAS to have a very good chance
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I can't, but then again, I don't usually follow the development of shows as closely as I have been Rangers and Jeremiah.

How does schlock like The Chronicle (it hardly keeps me awake) get on the air...?

------------------

Maybe it's because Rangers is a spin-off that they're leery?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> How does schlock like The Chronicle (it hardly keeps me awake) get on the air...?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's probably really cheap to make.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
The thing that is really odd about the Rangers situation is that I can't recall Sci-Fi ever needing to see the ratings before okaying a series before.

Can anyone else?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have they even done a TV movie as a potential series pilot before?

------------------
-- Marty

Here's what I know:

Farscape was originally pitched to Fox. Then it sat on the shelf for years until they pitched it to SciFi. SciFi gave a full 22 episode commitment because it was too expensive for Henson just to do a pilot. Those muppets are expensive.

Chronicle was developed for the NBC network. When NBC dropped it, SciFi became interested. I'm not sure if a pilot was produced for NBC, but it may have.

Invisible Man was developed by SciFi through the company's affiliated studio "Studios USA". A pilot was produced. They liked it, so they gave the series a "go". The pilot aired only a week before the first episode.

First Wave came from Francis Ford Coppola's company. His name got it an automatic three season commitment.

Lexx and Jules Verne were already produced for other countries. SciFi merely purchased the U.S. rights.

All episodes of Black Scorpion were produced with Roger Corman's money. He then sold it to SciFi very cheaply.

Outer Limits and Stargate, of course, are series they picked up from Showtime.

At any given time, SciFi is "developing" several series at a time and only pick a few of them. Two other projects in development are "Anonymous Rex" and "Riverworld". Both are based on Science fiction novels.

------------------

i have heard rumors that Lexx and the invisible man may not be continued after this season (only rumors mind you)

thats more time freed up right there
laugh.gif

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

"love to stay, can't, have to go, kiss kiss, love love, bye" G'Kar

Invisible Man has been officially canceled for cost reasons as much as ratings.

I'm not sure about Lexx. It's backers are primarily Canadian/German.

------------------

I believe I heard somewhere that the producers of Lexx have decided to end the show at this season.

But don't quote me on that. My brain has recently turned to mush due to spending too much time at G'Kar's City/State.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I can't, but then again, I don't usually follow the development of shows as closely as I have been Rangers and Jeremiah.

How does schlock like The Chronicle (it hardly keeps me awake) get on the air...?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on people! The Chronicle is not as bad as Crossing Over with John Edward. At least The Chronicle has some good points.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

SavantB5 wrote
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> One more thought...

The thing that is really odd about the Rangers situation is that I can't recall Sci-Fi ever needing to see the ratings before okaying a series before.

Can anyone else?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you think of an example of a high ranking suit wrapping their OWN car before? In a dog eat dog environment this is dangerous because if the series does not get the go ahead you get binned too.

The problem may be budget size. The higher the rating, the higher the advertising income permitting a higher budget.

Is the advertising income from each Babylon 5 episode sufficient to cover the cost of making an episode of B5LR?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

Hour dramas always run at a deficit until syndication kicks in (if the show lasts that long). Networks and studios are always taking a bigger gamble with dramas and are thus more hesitant to blindly charge ahead (unless of course your name happens to be Whedon, Sorkin, Wells or Kelley).

By the way, I just found out that the theatrical trailer for Rangers will only be playing at TWO theaters, not chains, just theaters in L.A. They are the Beverly Center and the Magic Johnson in Crenshaw. I guess I was hoping for a little more "mass" in that mass marketing.

I don't think John Edwards is going anywhere; too cheap, too popular. We'll see about the rest.

Dylan

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:

By the way, I just found out that the theatrical trailer for Rangers will only be playing at TWO theaters, not chains, just theaters in L.A. They are the Beverly Center and the Magic Johnson in Crenshaw. I guess I was hoping for a little more "mass" in that mass marketing.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch this is disappointing I also thought it was going to be a more "mass" in the marketing...

When I first heard about this trailer I was hoping it would be played at every cinema before the Lord of the Rings.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Yea, I think we all kind of got that impression.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back