• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Room For Rangers?

gkarfan

Beyond the rim
I just read at scifi.com that The Chronicle has been cancelled. Since they also just dumped I-Man, & Lexx is also going, they would definitely have room on their schedule for a Rangers series. Here's hoping!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------
Tirk: Citizen G'Kar, Captain Martell would like to speak to you.
G'Kar: Of course. Love to stay. Can't. Have to go. Kiss-kiss. Love-love. Bye.

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

If the chronicle is going they might actually need a new, popular show like B5LR just to full the Friday Prime spot. Man, sci-fi is hurting for new original series especially after losing Invisible man and First Wave(even though that was a while ago). How long did the Chronicle last and where did you read this?

------------------
Sheridan:Are you sure we can't jump
Lennier:positive
Sheridan:Then we have a problem
Lennier:No $h!t Sherlock
Sheridan:RUN FOR IT!!!!
Downbelow Sound Archive

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:

I just read at scifi.com that The Chronicle has been cancelled. Since they also just dumped I-Man, & Lexx is also going, they would definitely have room on their schedule for a Rangers series. Here's hoping!
smile.gif

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully. Each of those shows were pretty much crap though.

Invisible Man was the best of the group to be sure, but it wasnt enough to hold my attention.

Chronicle was one of those shows when you first saw the previews for the pilot, you KNEW it was going to suck and get cancelled.

Lexx was basically Farscape II, but not nearly as good. You could tell they were getting desperate for story lines when they started having their crew go to Earth, and film 'Survivor' type spoofs. Pretty damn sad when a Sci-Fi show runs out of story ideas after just a few episodes and has to try to get ratings by basing a episode on current pop-culture TV like Survivor. Yes people, Lexx was a bad show as well. On the other hand, the only thing good about it was that chick they had in it. Damn. But you could tell they basically went out and got the hottest woman they could find to help ratings, she didnt seem like much of an actress. Maybe it was just the poor scripts though
wink.gif

Hopefully this does make things more likely for Rangers, I guess anything is possible. Although you have to believe that those cancellations were going to happen even if Rangers never existed. Who knows how the cards are gonna fall...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>But you could tell they basically went out and got the hottest woman they could find to help ratings, she didnt seem like much of an actress. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hot chicks don't need to have talent. Have you not learned anything?
smile.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

This is, of course, assuming that they want to keep the same amount of original programming. I've heard that, yes, they do - but it's just that they haven't had a *real* success yet, besides Farscape. They're going to be *very* selective as to what they put in Friday Prime.

And, besides, there are always fifteen million other pilots in development. Hollywood does not lack for potential pilots...

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

I may be wrong, but not having enough room never seemed like the main issue to me.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

Since LEXX is just finishing its fourth season it has enough episodes for syndication and I don't think they ever expected it to last this long. It is a German/Canadian production and the lead actress is a German actress who is quite well known in Germany.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Hot chicks don't need to have talent. Have you not learned anything?
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it helps if they're not dumb as a post, and the show has good writers. Otherwise, they're boring.

I agree with Channe's comments about Claudia Black on Farscape ( JMS and his decision Thread ). She was one of the main reasons I used to tune in. The writing drove me away.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 08, 2002).]

Strange World. I don't get it, it appeared on ABC (if memory serves) years ago. I remember seeing the first episode. They describe it as an oringinal series but it is not. Unless, of course, they have signed on to make original episodes to follow the original 10 or so that were made.

The funny thing about The Chronicle is it is blamed by many as being the reason Invisible man got the axe, and now it got the axe. Hopefully they are making room for Rangers, but only time will tell.

------------------

KoshN, Strange World is a series that was cancelled by ABC. I think they are just going to air the eps. that were made for ABC. As for Riverworld & Taken, I think they are mini-series, not regular ones.

Tammy

------------------
Tirk: Citizen G'Kar, Captain Martell would like to speak to you.
G'Kar: Of course. Love to stay. Can't. Have to go. Kiss-kiss. Love-love. Bye.

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dekion:
Strange World. I don't get it, it appeared on ABC (if memory serves) years ago. I remember seeing the first episode. They describe it as an oringinal series but it is not. Unless, of course, they have signed on to make original episodes to follow the original 10 or so that were made.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on the definition of the word "original". Sorry, Clinton-era humor.
blush.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dekion:
The funny thing about The Chronicle is it is blamed by many as being the reason Invisible man got the axe, and now it got the axe. Hopefully they are making room for Rangers, but only time will tell.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The funny thing is that I sorta liked both I-Man and The Chronicle (and SU-2, The Tick, The Ellen Show, etc.)

Maybe I should tell 'em I hate the shows that I really like.
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
I used to tune in (to Farscape). The writing drove me away.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Idly curious:
Was it the increasing level of darkness and depressing themes/events?
The more experimental or non-linear episodes (like "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "Scratch 'n Sniff")?
Or did you just think that the plotting, dialog, and / or characterizations were poorly handled?

I was wondering because, although the style and tone will definitely not be to everyone's taste, I am used to thinking of Farscape as being pretty well written in general. (I say in general because when you take as many risks as they do, and as big as some of them are, some of them will fail.)

------------------

i'd agree with pillowrock on 'scape... i find it to be one of the most well written shows i've seen... but its a very specific style, and thus a very specific taste i suppose...

is anyone besides me worried about scifi in general? since they're doing all these cancelings?

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> SCI-FI's selection of original programs has been something that has baffled me for some time. They pick these shows, Black Scorpion, The Adventures of Jules Verne, The Chronicle, etc. From the advertisements you can tell they are going to suck, they have no chance at becoming successful. Along comes JMS with a proposal, a person who has a track record at writing successful TV series', and what does SCI-FI do. Well we will have to wait and see. I do have concern about SCI-FI's future, as I for one am getting fed up with the crap they are dishing out. The only time I turn that channel on anymore is watch a B5 rerun. I think that any original show SCI-FI has that scores better than a 1.0 share they should consider a success. I-man was drawing that, it had a loyal, if small following, and they cancel it. IMHO they need to keep their core audience happy. They talk about wanting shows that are going to bring in new viewers. That is fine but what good is that when you keep dissapointing your old viewers who start to turn you off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Halla brotha!! I forgot about Jules Verne, and Black Scorpion. I wouldn't be surprised if sci-fi is losing viewers by the score after every episode of Lexx. If I was the big chesee at sci-fi and a series like B5LR came knocking at my door I don't see how I could resist it. Ratings aside, Rangers has an extremely large amount of potential just waiting to be unlocked. Plus it already has a devoted(I think) following bhind it that will be there after every step of the way. Plus, with the writing stylus of JMS at the helm youe have a real ratings winner. Besides, when you get to the bottom of the proverbial barrel like sci-fi has in the past year something like Rangers is too tantalizing to pass up.

PS: Sorry if my points are a bit redundant. I'm just stating what I think in a manner that's not the most elequent in the world.

------------------
Sheridan:Are you sure we can't jump
Lennier:positive
Sheridan:Then we have a problem
Lennier:No $h!t Sherlock
Sheridan:RUN FOR IT!!!!
Downbelow Sound Archive

The following runs off my limited experience in the subject of media marketing. Savant, KoshN, or Joe DM, feel free to correct me if necessary.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by impycat:
I do have concern about SCI-FI's future, as I for one am getting fed up with the crap they are dishing out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not trying to be a Channel apologetic, but you have to understand just how expensive a science fiction series can be. Farscape, their best show IMHO, costs a LOT to make. Without the financing system they have, it wouldn't be on the air. In sci-fi, you can't just walk down and go cheap with things - your audience will notice. You can't use Vancouver office sets and film on the street and get your clothes from a cheap source. EVERYTHING is from scratch. On top of that, you have FX. It's far from being easy to budget.

Sci-Fi has done admirably, I think, in attempting to keep costs down while presenting SO MUCH original programming. Now, yeah, I'll agree with you that saying the quality of that programming isn't that great. But they HAVE provided it. Which is a starting point. They're not bad for a fairly fledgling network attempting to dig themselves out of a reputation of "where sci-fi shows go to die." They're young. I'm gonna keep on giving them a chance, starting with when I tape Strange World tonight.

Ok. Ok. You know what? Black Scorpion and Lexx are absolute bottom-barrel, dregs, disgustingly bad shows. But they were cheap to buy and cheap to show...

And you have to remember that they don't have the budget of TNT, Showtime, or some of the bigger cable networks - let alone a broadcast network!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I-man was drawing that, it had a loyal, if small following, and they cancel it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. Let's say you have a product - the Ganglemeister 700. You put the Ganglemeister on the market. It makes an okay showing among a gaggle of people - but, constantly, you have these employees coming at you, saying, "Look at my new product. It's gonna make you more money than the Ganglemeister." And you look at it, and you realize that if you take the Ganglemeister off the market and put this new model ON, the new model will sell a lot more than the old. If you know that the new model will satisfy the Ganglemeister-lovers and keep costs down at the same time, you'll do it in a heartbeat. There's no room in the television biz for labors of love done out of charity.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>IMHO they need to keep their core audience happy. They talk about wanting shows that are going to bring in new viewers. That is fine but what good is that when you keep dissapointing your old viewers who start to turn you off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Television audiences can be notoriously fickle at the same time they can be extremely loyal. Sci-Fi knows this. Why do you think they keep on trying to present to you new programming that they think you will like?

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

[This message has been edited by channe (edited February 08, 2002).]

I happen to enjoy Farscape's style very much, both in script and cinematography. They can be a very progressive show at the same time that they can be wince-inducing... but, damn. I've been sucked in, and it's not just because Ben Browder is good-looking. It's cause they've made me care what happens to Aeryn, and Crichton, and whether we'll ever see Zhaan again, etc., etc.

I just wish they'd let off on the Stark! Aiiie! He drives me up a wall!

------------------

Hmm, this Ganglemeister sounds interesting. How may I obtain a brochure of said product?

Rangers not only cost a lot to make, but a lot to market. Plus, even though it has a set audience, it's relationship to an older show can deter as many people.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Yup. Let's say you have a product - the Ganglemeister 700. You put the Ganglemeister on the market. It makes an okay showing among a gaggle of people - but, constantly, you have these employees coming at you, saying, "Look at my new product. It's gonna make you more money than the Ganglemeister." And you look at it, and you realize that if you take the Ganglemeister off the market and put this new model ON, the new model will sell a lot more than the old. If you know that the new model will satisfy the Ganglemeister-lovers and keep costs down at the same time, you'll do it in a heartbeat. There's no room in the television biz for labors of love done out of charity.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your point, I know SCI-FI has to make money. But my point is that I don't think the new shows are better. When they first started with SCI-FI Prime I thought they had a good lineup. Farscape, Firstwave, I-man. Farscape is the only one left and nothing new they have done has been worth one minute of my time much less an hour. There are hundreds of excellent books and book series that millions have read, take the Honor Harrington series for example. I have never understood way they haven't tapped that material. The Dune mini-series did really well for them as a case in point. But all we seem to get from them is cheap shows, with moronic story lines.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I do have concern about SCI-FI's future, as I for one am getting fed up with the crap they are dishing out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. I've heard the excuses for why sci-fi peddles crap like Vern, Scorpion, GvE, the Chronicle and I don't really care about the economics behind it -- all I care is that it's crap! They sink money into one piece of junk after the next, each one seemingly more inane than the one before. Frankly I'm with you impycat, the only thing I watch are B5 re-runs and Star Trek re-runs. I don't even care about Farscape anymore. I can definitely see this channel going under and you won't catch me shedding a tear for it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back