• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Room For Rangers?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
Since LEXX is just finishing its fourth season it has enough episodes for syndication and I don't think they ever expected it to last this long. It is a German/Canadian production and the lead actress is a German actress who is quite well known in Germany.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't call her quite well known. Most roles she played before were in minor TV series. Seeberg had some minor movies rules, some of the uncredited, and apart from that mostly appearances in TV series of the kind that sometimes develop a cult following among teenagers...

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I just wish they'd let off on the Stark! Aiiie! He drives me up a wall!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aaahhh, ..... even Stark has his moments. Or at least he is the catalyst for some great moments that we wouldn't see if he weren't there.
laugh.gif
shocked.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I just wish they'd let off on the Stark! Aiiie! He drives me up a wall! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[stark] Your side, my side! Your side, my side! [/stark]

He has his moments but I would trade him for Zhaan any day. Farscape in general has its moments but I sorta lost interest during this last season ... too much bizarre and not enough substance for my tastes. Still, I am looking forward to seeing the new eps even if it seems like it has been 10 years since I watched FS.
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

At the moment Riverworld is in the pilot stage. The pilot has been shot, no doubt it's in post production. The last I heard was that they were looking for a full series, some of the actors had to sign 6 or 7 year options. Sound like a mini series to you? The strange thing is, this untried series looks like it might go ahead without all the hassle and ratings furore that B5LR has had. It doesn't seem fair to me.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
He (Stark) has his moments but I would trade him for Zhaan any day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well,
shocked.gif
yeah. Zhaan was great. But losing her wasn't a creative decision, so I'll deal with it.

------------------

I love bizarre. I thrive on it. So that's just me, and why I love Farscape.

Yeah - I heard that Virginia Hey's makeup was physically and psychologically too much for her to handle. I can't blame her at all for leaving.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

I love bizarre. I thrive on it. So that's just me, and why I love Farscape.

Yeah - I heard that Virginia Hey's makeup was physically and psychologically too much for her to handle. I can't blame her at all for leaving.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...having to shave your head bald INCLUDING the eyebrows is pretty, um, it's asking a lot. I think everyone can do without looking like (s)he's on chemotherapy. Add to that that the chemicals gave her health problems - I certainly can understand how rumors popped up she had cancer. Somewhere, there has to be a line, and it's good she had the power to draw it in time, before she was really seriously ill.

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by impycat:
Farscape, Firstwave, I-man. Farscape is the only one left and nothing new they have done has been worth one minute of my time much less an hour.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Farscape is the only show of the three that really interested me. First Wave, despite a very good leading man, just didn't keep my interest. And it only took one episode of Invisible Man to turn me off that show. Poor acting, poor writing and it was just not interesting.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>There are hundreds of excellent books and book series that millions have read, take the Honor Harrington series for example. I have never understood way they haven't tapped that material.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love Honor Harrington. I bought Ashes of Victory in hardcover and I never buy hardcover.

However, HH would not work as a TV series, or even a TV mini series. A lot of the violence, ship combat and politics are too intricate to translate well to the screen. There would have to be too many changes and simplifications to work on screen, and I'd rather see HH only in novels.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The Dune mini-series did really well for them as a case in point. But all we seem to get from them is cheap shows, with moronic story lines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I honestly can't remember where I heard this, but I think that Black Scorpion is pretty cheap for Sci-fi, because Roger Corman is providing most of the production money, and Sci-fi's actual cost to show BS (isn't that ironic) is less than most shows.

Admiral Dave

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PillowRock:
Idly curious:
Was it the increasing level of darkness and depressing themes/events?
The more experimental or non-linear episodes (like "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "Scratch 'n Sniff")?
Or did you just think that the plotting, dialog, and / or characterizations were poorly handled?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was the more and more wildly divergent storylines. Things were getting more and more "unbelievable." It's like seeing with your own eyes, someone else's bad acid trip, and trying to make sense of it. For me it was getting like "1 divided by 0" (undefined) and waaaaay out there.

It started going downhill with "Taking the Stone." The breaking point for me was "Eat Me" and that was when I started drifting away from Farscape. It was no longer a "must see." I quit trying to keep track of the threads. The story had lost cohesion, and like Kosh Naranek in the middle of page 10 of Invoking Darkness

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>flew apart</font></td></tr></table>

. With "Revenging Angel" and "The Choice" I recycled all my tapes (using them for other shows).

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 08, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by impycat:
SCI-FI's selection of original programs has been something that has baffled me for some time. They pick these shows, Black Scorpion, The Adventures of Jules Verne, The Chronicle, etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Adventures of Jules Verne, and The Chronicle are nowhere near as bad as Black Scorpion and John Edward.

From the advertisements you can tell they are going to suck, they have no chance at becoming successful. Along comes JMS with a proposal, a person who has a track record at writing successful TV series', and what does SCI-FI do. Well we will have to wait and see. I do have concern about SCI-FI's future, as I for one am getting fed up with the crap they are dishing out. The only time I turn that channel on anymore is watch a B5 rerun. I think that any original show SCI-FI has that scores better than a 1.0 share they should consider a success. I-man was drawing that, it had a loyal, if small following, and they cancel it. IMHO they need to keep their core audience happy. They talk about wanting shows that are going to bring in new viewers. That is fine but what good is that when you keep dissapointing your old viewers who start to turn you off.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just dropped 'em. I'll re-up if they take B5:LotR to series and/or resurrect Crusade. Until then, I'll be saving $27.45/month. I already have 100% of B5, Crusade, and B5:LotR on tape. Why do I need to watch the reruns with top & bottom cropped CGI, squished credits with John Edward voiceovers, and a weak signal? I don't.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I'm a huge FS fan, but I'm starting to agree with Kosh on this one. The episodes are just getting plain weird...like the one with the Budong and the planet of freaks...c'mon now.

Also, I don't like the direction in which Ben Browders char. is heading. He's getting erratic, and it seems that in three seasons he's lost a lot of what made him "human." Granted, he's taken on a larger leadership role, but either Browder's acting is getting really strange or the writers are screwing with his personality.

Phil

------------------
"And that, Mollari, is why it will not be your people, or mine, or the Gaim, or the Drazi or the Vorlons or the Shadows who in the end will stand astride the galaxy like giants. It will be the humans."
"I think you are the one who is mad, G'kar," Londo said. "I can choose just as well as the humans. I can choose to stay in this cell, with you, or I can choose to leave."
"Yes, but can you choose for there not to be a cell at all?"
"I don't understand," Londo said.
"Exactly," G'kar said. "Exactly."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Why do I need to watch the reruns with top & bottom cropped CGI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you mean by that ?

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaribaldiHairs:

What do you mean by that ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CGI was originally rendered for the 4:3 (1.33:1) proportions of the original B5 airing. When Sci-Fi commissioned the widescreen version, Warner Brothers did not re-render the CGI for widescreen (16:9, or ~1.77:1), so if the CGI was going to fill the whole screen left to right, and match up with the top and bottom of the new widescreen live action shots, it would have to be cropped top and bottom.

If you do an A/B comparison of the CGI of say one of the TNT airings to the Sci-Fi airing, you'll see what I mean.

I'll try to get some screen caps to illustrate the point.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emfeeli:
I'm a huge FS fan, but I'm starting to agree with Kosh on this one. The episodes are just getting plain weird...like the one with the Budong and the planet of freaks...c'mon now.

Also, I don't like the direction in which Ben Browders char. is heading. He's getting erratic, and it seems that in three seasons he's lost a lot of what made him "human." Granted, he's taken on a larger leadership role, but either Browder's acting is getting really strange or the writers are screwing with his personality.

Phil

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked the Budong episode, except for the cyber feedback thing. But your right about the show loosing its directon. Those Lexx knock off episodes needed to go. As for John, he seems to be acting perfectly normal for a human being lost in the univers with the answer on how to get back home buried by an alien in his mind. I missed the invisible man, it filled the time slot just right. I think Outer Limits is on its death bead. The last few episodes I have watched have been pretty bad. Soon the only friday prime show it will have left will be Farscape. I know Taken is a 10 part mini-series, which they normaly dont air on fridays. I know they are getting Stargate SG1, but it to is winding down. All that plus the two confirmed new shows Riverworld and Firestarter. Oh well sci fi can figure out its line up on its own, as long as Rangers is in there as well.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
The CGI was originally rendered for the 4:3 (1.33:1) proportions of the original B5 airing. When Sci-Fi commissioned the widescreen version, Warner Brothers did not re-render the CGI for widescreen (16:9, or ~1.77:1), so if the CGI was going to fill the whole screen left to right, and match up with the top and bottom of the new widescreen live action shots, it would have to be cropped top and bottom.

If you do an A/B comparison of the CGI of say one of the TNT airings to the Sci-Fi airing, you'll see what I mean.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow ! I'm shocked. I used to vaguely remember an interview with the lead FX guy on the original series, and told that the FXs was done for widescreen, but tended to place all the emphasis of the action in the middle of the screen, so when they cut left and right for P&S, there's no problem.

But having compared side-to-side both version, I trust your observation as a big proof.

So now I realize that maybe I misunderstood this part of the interview (yep, I'm not english native). Maybe the guy said the FX were emphased in middle of the screen, *vertically* (and not horizontaly as I understood it), in prevision of a widescreen so they can cut the top and bottom without removing the main actions.

That's good to know ! Thanks ...

(but btw, I still prefere way more a total widescreen than a total P&S, but it's more of a taste opinion :)

- Garibaldi's Hairs

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

To KoshN:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> It was the more and more wildly divergent storylines. Things were getting more and more "unbelievable." It's like seeing with your own eyes, someone else's bad acid trip, and trying to make sense of it. For me it was getting like "1 divided by 0" (undefined) and waaaaay out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry for continuing Farscape discussion on a thread/forum where it's probably out there, but....

I know what you mean about unbelievable. The thing is though, I always took the settings and the plot as secondary importance to the character in FS. Sure, it's an acid trip, but I'm less interested in what happens in the trip than what happens to *them*. If you get addicted to the characters (which really isn't that hard - DAMN Claudia's good), and just let the backdrop/exotic locale be whatever it wants to be (which, I admit, I had to stretch for Revenging Angel, but it is still one of my favorites of the new eps)... the show's a killer.

------------------
Radhil Trebors
Persona Under Construction

GvE wasn't *that* bad...
blush.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

I must agree that SFC has made some questionable choices in our eyes, but they seemed right to them at the time.

I won't bash LEXX now, although its second season was awful (and being shown out of order made it worse), my wife and I enjoyed the third season quite a bit, and the fourth season hasn't been all bad either. We stopped watching the second season but when I heard that Nigel ??? (Prince) was in it and saw some spoilers about the Fire/Water premise, we tried it out again. I liked the character Nigel played in Forever Knight and Prince was enjoyable as well here. The sex jokes were toned down and wittier than before. And it was cool to have a parody carrying a serious theme and showing the implications of choices on the main characters.

LEXX is a parody that pokes fun at itself, sci fi and the world in general and if you can get the humor which is sometimes tough, you can enjoy it. And if I remember correctly JMS recommended the movies (considered Season 1) called Tales From a Parallel Universe or something when they originally aired on Showtime. (Bakana can probably find the quote.) But the production company itself is ending the series. From what I heard during S3 they hoped SFC would pick it up for one more because that was all they wanted to do, but I don't know too much there.

As for the appropriately titled BS, we didn't get past the first ep.

SAJV couldn't keep my wife's attention, though I kinda liked it. It is odd about my wife because that (and I-Man) drew in female viewers (if their SFC boards were any indication) and that is what SFC wanted.

We liked FW, hated to see it end, but I have always liked shows like that (Nowhere Man was one I enjoyed till a WTF? ending of S1).

I kinda like the Chronicle. A little tongue in cheek but kinda fun. But we have no time for the shows we now watch (after April 15 we should see our free time increase dramatically) so that one is more often than not missed. It also could not gain my wife's attention.

I-Man I thought was a pretty good show. Not always the right answers, the hero could do some nasty things, and the lead two actors had a great rapport. I thought SFC moving it around so much early S2 hurt it and it never recovered. To me it was a great lead-in for Farscape, and was a good mix of comedy and drama in one show. This one has SFC in my dog house for now.

Farscape is second to Stargate for me, and Stargate is second to Farscape for my wife. With our workload we are actually relieved to not have new eps of either for awhile, and seeing them on the same night and same channel come June will be a treat. Farscape did almost lose my wife with Eat Me however, and although not as down as some people got over this season, we too have not been entirely pleased with it all.

Outer Limits was good on Showtime more often than not, on SFC it seemed the other way around. I don't think it was going past this season anyways, whether by MGM or SFC's choice I don't know.

So we seem to be left with openings available and hopefully Rangers will get one of them. But even though Stargate is ending after S6, MGM and Exec Producer Brad Wright (think that's his title) have pretty much confirmed there will be a spinoff to follow either the movie or S6 if the movie doesn't go, and I think that SFC would have a say on where the spinoff might air.

Personally I would love a Friday prime of Stargate, Farscape and Rangers this year followed by Crusade Farscape and Rangers the following year with Stargate: Spinoff leading another night in the years following, but for now I will wait and hope, cause its the only thing we haven't found a way to kill yet.

SmG

------------------
The Truth IS.....

OUT of fashion.

Over on Sci Fi's Rangers board I pulled out a great long rant about their programming choices, but to spare the faint of heart I'll summarize.

Chronicle : Cursed Sombraro (enough said)
Black Scorpion Lexx : Do the world a favor and burn the all material associated with them

I-man was OK, not my taste but the characters jelled pretty well.

Farscape put Sci Fi to a new level of quality, but they bailed out with the afore mentioned cheapies and lost the credibility they earned (Ps I no longer follow Farscape either, just one too many people bouncing back from the dead, they need a shake up to keep the characters fresh, but they have avoided making serious changes for the better)
Earth Final Conflict has always been a favorite of mine (until it looses a main character, then it pretty much goes to pot)

Stargate SG1 should be solid, at least the earlier episodes

And if Sci Fi needs material for a new show they only need to take a look at Isaac Asimov's Foundation series for good characters, some action, and a meaningful plot
Or there is the impressive Wizard of Earthsea Trilogy (might even bring in some younger, Harry Potterish fans if handled right and Sci Fi cuts down on the Skinamax treatment they have going, not that I mind good looking women from time to time, just so long as they don't screw up good science fiction, a sacred thing
Well, I better finish on topic, my post over on thier site finished by saying that Sci Fi could do alot worse than to make the B5 universe it's flagship and run perhaps even multiple series simultaneously in it (Crusade continued... or something else to fill in all those historical holes as well as LoTR)

Well, enough yaking, if you read this far thanks for listening, we now return you to Sci Fi's Black Scorpion and other plotless shows Marathon.
tongue.gif

------------------
"Humanity IS my business"
or the always popular
"You can get farther with a kind word and a 2 b four, than you can with just a kind word"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back