• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers vs. Enterprise (Notice Ranger is first)

The difference between the Rangers and Enterprise...simple...

We have "JMS" on board...

I rest my case!

Cheers! -Warren T. Takeuchi-

Oh yeah...and G'Kar...and Captain David Martel...and Dulann...and...Sarah Cantrell...and...you get the picture!

ps- Sorry people, I can't take this discussion seriously, as I feel that it is not serious at all...

After seeing "To Live and Die in Starlight"...I have definitely sided with "JMS" and "Douglas Netter"...110% confidence!

-Warren-

------------------

Lets see:

We got a nice fresh Bagel with a bit of cream cheese, a nice bit of Lox and a slice of tomato. Maybe with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice to go with it.
smile.gif

Vs

A lump of Wonder Bread that got buried in the desert and was found ten years later by a group of campers digging a hole for a latrine.

Yeah, I think that's about how the difference will play out.
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited September 03, 2001).]

How about a deli reuben vs pb&j?

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindrome of the month: Satan, oscilate my metalic sonatas.

To clarify, Warren, Bakana, JadeJaguar-

I have complete and utter faith in the fact that JMS is going to entertain the pants off of me. I have complete and utter faith that the characters are going to be completely realized by a cast of actors who know their stuff inside and out. I have complete and utter faith that Rangers is going to be some of the best science fiction that the cultural wasteland known as television has ever seen. I have complete and utter faith that Rangers is caviar to the stuff I burned while cooking dinner last night. I have complete and utter faith that by the time I finish watching Rangers on January the Second, my mouth will be on the floor, my eyes will have popped out, my stomach will have lurched from the excitement of it all, and my mind will have been sufficiently stirred up as well as my adrenaline.

I have no faith, however, in the nitwitted masses that have, do, and will continue to see the Babylon 5 stories as Star Trek's malformed little cousin. And there are more of them out there than there are of those of us who understand the talent of the Great Maker.

I don't want the glory that is Rangers (yes, I'm taking your word for it) to be stuck in a three-am timeslot, nearly cancelled, or forgotten as soon as it was aired.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:
We have "JMS" on board...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL
so true. so true.
smile.gif

and Enterprise has Rick Berman on board. lol
tongue.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Not sure about that Rubin. Don't like saurkraut on my corned beef.
laugh.gif

Now a combo corned beef/pastrami/swiss on fresh rye with a nice spicy mustard. With the meat steamed before putting it on the bread....
shocked.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

It's a big world; and I think there's room for everyone. I just hope B5LR gets a shot at becoming a series...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Initially, B5 and DS9 looked similar on paper. However, they evolved, in my opinion, into two drastically different shows.

I am sure that any perceived similarities between B5lr and Enterprise will quickly vanish.

We have JMS, and unless he magically became a moron, we are in very good hands.

B5lr will become a series. **postive thinking**

Frizzell
laugh.gif

------------------
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."
-Jonathan Swift

"Good in theory...
Lousy in practice...
It implies that I am expendable. I am many things. I am bright, personable, charismatic and not a bad dancer but expendable? No."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:
The difference between the Rangers and Enterprise...simple...

We have "JMS" on board...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Or more precicely, you have someone with passion for his work in the driver's seat. Enterprise doesn't. It has Berman and Braga, who by all accounts just don't care any more (if they ever did). An example: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Moore asks, "How many space anomalies of the week can you really stomach? How many time paradoxes can you do? When I was studying the show, getting ready to work on it, I was watching the episodes, and the technobabble was just enervating; it was just soul sapping. Vast chunks of scenes would go by, and I
had no idea what was going on. I write this stuff; I live this stuff. I do know the difference between the shields and the deflectors, and the ODN conduits and plasma tubes. If I can't tell what's going on, I know the audience has no idea what's going on.

Everyone will say the same thing. From the top down, you bring up this point, and everybody will say, 'I am the biggest opponent of techno-babble. I hate technobabble. I am the one who is always saying, less technobabble.' They all say that. None of them do it. I've always felt that you never impress the audience. The audience doesn't sit there and go, 'God damn, they know science. That is really cool. Look how they figured that out. Hey Edna! Come here. You want to see how Chakotay is going to figure this out. He's onto this thing with the quantum tech particles; it's really interesting. I don't know how he is going to do it, but he is going to reroute something. Oh my God, he found the anti-protons!' Who cares? Nobody watches STAR TREK for those scenes.

The actors hate those scenes; the directors hate those scenes; and the writers hate those scenes. But it's the easiest card to go to. It's a lot easier to tech your way out of a situation than to really think your way out of a situation, or make it dramatic, or make the characters go through some kind of decision or crisis. It's a lot easier if you can just plant one of them at a console and start banging on the thing, and flash some Okudagrams, and then come up with the magic solution that is going to make all this week's problems go away."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This was an excerpt from an interveiw with Ron Moore, who served as co-executive producer on DS9, and then breifly on Voyager. I'd recomend anyone with the slightest interest in Trek's future read the whole thing (part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), though be warned, it doesn't paint a pretty picture.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited September 05, 2001).]

The one thing that really bugged me about the Trek series was "Escape by Transporter". I don't know how many times someone was transported from a ship blowing up and a voice says calmly, We got him. Bah
mad.gif

------------------

Warren...

You go man!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nothing wrong with being biased!
smile.gif
But you are correct in implying that JMS is a good writer. I just love what he's done with B5. If you look at everything he's done with that show and compare it to Roddenberry's work on Trek, you can see that JMS is much better at what he does.

------------------
Long live the Salad Rangers! We live for the Salad Bar, we die for the Salad Bar.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
The one thing that really bugged me about the Trek series was "Escape by Transporter". I don't know how many times someone was transported from a ship blowing up and a voice says calmly, We got him. Bah
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After a while, I started to pray that the assassin/killer/enemy with an IQ would start slipping in Romulan disruptors on the escapees ... really, really hated the "Transporter Route!"

------------------
"Thin air? Why is it always thin air? Never fat air, chubby air, mostly-fit-could-stand-lose-a-few-pounds air?"

The worst episodes of Star Trek usually revolve around a tear in the fabric of space time or a problem with the holodeck. The very worst episode of Voyager (or any other Trek for that matter) contained a line that went something like this:

"Dear God there is a tear in the fabric of spacetime .....ON THE HOLODECK"

I had to turn Voyager off and never watch it again after that (not that I watched it much anyway)

Also don't get me started on the Heisenberg compensators.

------------------
Evil Guy #1: Have you any last words?
Ranger: We live for the one....

Yuh-huh...and Crusade had "JMS on board"

I bet you followed that into oblivion as well. I enjoy B5 and the B5 universe, but I will not succide as you have to follow him because he has done good in the past. You all have a blind spot to the horror that is Crusade, a similair experience to Voyager; ship going into unchartered space with one ship and a boring ass crew with the same typcasted positions including, "Captain, Weapons Control, Doctor, Engineering" and such.

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

If I ever do a space crew thing, it's going to be so radically -different- from the typical military or quasi-military setup...

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Well perhaps you could try to reassue Dylan in that regard. He's the one who expressed his concerns to us. While we all support the Rangers I think that if he was reassured by someone who has as much at stake as he does it would do more to reassure him

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:

I bet you followed that into oblivion as well. I enjoy B5 and the B5 universe, but I will not succide as you have to follow him because he has done good in the past. You all have a blind spot to the horror that is Crusade, a similair experience to Voyager; ship going into unchartered space with one ship and a boring ass crew with the same typcasted positions including, "Captain, Weapons Control, Doctor, Engineering" and such.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see you are on a Crusade of your own. It's sad really.

Ya know, I can imagine you now, abandoning a friend because they failed their history test and in doing so failed to live up to your ideal of perfection.

I bet you believe one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

I bet you are a lonely person, isolated in your own perfection.

Lighten up, O.K. People are here to support the Rangers and The Actors who graciously give their time to post here. If you don't want to believe someone who has seen the movie and thinks highly of it then perhaps you should remain silent in discussions where Rangers is discussed.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do know who Warren T. Takeuchi even is, don't you??...insulting the actors is not a very polite thing to do.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by terrytvgal:
You do know who Warren T. Takeuchi even is, don't you??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Legend of the Rangers' number one fan?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
Legend of the Rangers' number one fan?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's certainly making a case for himself.
smile.gif

It's great to see such enthusiasm from the cast in general and Warren in particular. It would be easy to not give a darn and say, "It's a job like any other. I don't have any commitment from SFC. I got paid; I went home; end of story."

Taking the time to interact with fans shows some degree of passion about the whole project. The posts I've seen from everyone involved with the production tell of fun, respect, and professionalism, which is a great mix for any venture and speaks well of Ranger's prospects for success.

The fact that JMS earns that kind of reaction from the cast and crew says a lot for him. The belief of those same people in Rangers will undoubtedly make itself manifest on screen.

I can't wait to see the results.

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

[This message has been edited by taichidave (edited September 08, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back