• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers in VHS/DVD

kok

Does anybody knows when B5: LOtR will reach the videostores in VHS and/or DVD??
crazy.gif

------------------
----
Diego Warlock
kok_temp@ig.com.br
-------------------

Childhood ends when
you know you gonna
die...

Much too early to even ask on this one. B5 sold poorly on VHS in the U.S., so it is likely it won't even be released on tape here. It sold well in the U.K., but all the B5 and Crusade tapes were recently discontinued there because the DVDs are coming. Meanwhile the DVDs are just starting up, and they'll probably want to see how the original series does before they think about the spin-offs.

And Warner Bros. has no reason to rush this out on tape. It just aired here, they're still waiting to learn the fate of the series and they haven't sold it or aired it in the rest of the world. They'll want networks and stations overseas to buy it before they start selling it to the general public. I'll bet nobody's even thinking about a home video release at this point.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

On a similar note -- I was wondering if Rangers was going to be novellized, like the rest of the TV movies (with the exception of River of Souls, iirc). It's probably too early to think of that, too, though, since the fate of the series is unknown. Just thought I'd throw out the question, though, since the thread was here.

------------------
"There is always hope. Only because it's the only thing no one has figured out how to kill yet."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I was wondering if Rangers was going to be novellized, like the rest of the TV movies<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably not. Such novelizations are usually written well in advance, and reach stores a week or two before a theatrical film's opening or a TV movie's debut. They help serve to promote the movie event. If there were going to be a Rangers novelization, it probably would have been on sale at Christmas time. Either WB and Sci-Fi weren't interested or a suitable manuscript was not written in time. (There was a novelization of River of Souls written, but the writer's* final draft was deemed unsuitable and there was neither the time nor the money to fix it, so the project was quietly dropped.)

Regards,

Joe

* I forget who this was. Not someone who has written any of the subsequent B5 novels nor, as far as I know, did she write any of the early Dell books. But I seem to remember that she was a published novelist in her own right.

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Oh, definitely not.

For the time being - and it's going to be a long "time being," this is only a telemovie, existing on the VCR-recorded copies of random fans across the world.

The only way, as they said above, that it'll get released is if Rangers goes to a successful series. And even that's in limbo right now. If you're an exec, you're not going to release an unprofitable product just to make people happy. If it's out there, it's because it's making you money. If it's not, it's yanked. Usually.

And, no, let's not get into the copyright discussion currently raging on the b5.moderated? :p

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The only way, as they said above, that it'll get released is if Rangers goes to a successful series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. I didn't say that WB would only release it there were a series, just that they wouldn't until they knew which way the wind was going to blow. If Sci-Fi turns them down flat and they can't sell the show elsewhere, there's no reason not to release it on DVD, at least in the U.S., and make a few more bucks off it. They already know from the first movie disc that there is a market out there. They might wait until it has aired in other countries before releasing a disc in them, but the same logic applies once that has happened.

OTOH if Sci-Fi does approve a series they have to decide whether to release the movie as a single disc, or wait until they're ready to release the series. That decision could go either way.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited February 07, 2002).]

I have a contact to the desitribution department of Warner Bross in our country. They said me, that thay are preparing VHS with LOTR (just the movie) to distrubute at the end of March or in April.

So I believe, there will VHS around all the world.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> * I forget who this was. Not someone who has written any of the subsequent B5 novels nor, as far as I know, did she write any of the early Dell books. But I seem to remember that she was a published novelist in her own right.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yvonne Navaro.

------------------
"Yes." - Kosh, Babylon 5

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back