• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: JMS penned comic tackles New York terror attacks

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">JMS penned comic tackles terror attacks</font>
<font size="3">News on, and images from, the topical Amazing Spider-Man edition</font>

<table align="right" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="1" border=0><tr><td valign="top"><center>
spiderman.jpg
</center></td></tr>
<tr><td align="center"><font size="-1" face="arial, helvetica">Issue #36 of Amazing Spider-Man</font></td></tr>
<tr><td align="center"><font size="-2" face="arial, helvetica">©2001 Marvel Comics
(picture courtesy of Comics Continuum)</font></td></tr></table>JMS has never been one to shy away from writing about events in the real world, and now is no exception. At a time when most TV and film bosses are virtually obsessed in doing anything they can to avoid reminding people of the New York and Washington terror attacks, JMS has written edition #36 of Amazing Spider-Man which deals with the events of September 11.

After the terror attacks, JMS was contacted by Marvel Comics who felt they should deal with the issues in one of their publications. "They e-mailed me in the evening, saying, 'One of our books really has to address what happened, and the most logical one is Spider-Man, because he's a New Yorker,'" he told Zap2it.

Asked why Marvel where wanting to deal with this, JMS told the site: "They feel that you shouldn't run from this subject. You have to address it. My feeling about popular culture and art is that the art is there to put into perspective things that happen in the larger culture."

The first images from this issue are now available online. Comics Continuum has four images which you can find by clicking here. They've also transcribed an appearance by Joe Quesada, Marvel Comics editor-in-chief, from E! News Daily where he discussed this edition.

You can read more of JMS's interview with Zap2it by clicking here.

Issue #36 of Amazing Spider-Man is on sale now.

Thanks to Pål Are Nordal.

<hr size=1>
Related link:
Marvel Entertainment
- The official website of Marvel

[This message has been edited by B5LR (edited November 10, 2001).]

I thought it came out this upcoming Tuesday or Wednesday.

In any event, my local comics shop didn't have it this morning.

Anyone spot it yet?

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

If you want this comic you should order it because it's going to become a collector's item.
smile.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
If you want this comic you should order it because it's going to become a collector's item.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well all of the 5 Amazing spiderman that JMS has already done 30-35 have become collecter items especially the first 3. Comics are weird it funny how it all works.

also I beleived that it will be releaed this coming wednesday ..and thursday in Australia.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
I agree that his earlier work on the Spider-Man series is HOT and is getting increasingly hard to find (especially at a reasonable price). I am so glad I snuck away a few extra copies (especially #30 which is the most expensive).
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I did the same thing, Actually I missed number 30 but ended up finding a pile of them at a newsagent
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Heh, as you might tell, I am an avid JMS comic collector and you can visit the section of my web site for more information: Comics by JMS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey ehy thankyou for that link I went and checked out the comic section nice.

Also, all the sources I have heard from (including JMS) say that issue #36 will be out on Wed 11/14 (in the US). Finally, I will leave you with some comic retailers I have had good dealings with in the past:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always good to find more sourse's I buy allot of comics not just JMS though.

Hey Monica do you read otehr comics or just JMS's one's?

I am loving of JMS's comics although I have been disappointed by the last few issue's of rising stars. But am looking forwrad to the B5 comic he spoke about a while back with Sinclair and Garilbaldi I beleive, havn't heard about that one in a while.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
Well all of the 5 Amazing spiderman that JMS has already done 30-35 have become collecter items especially the first 3. Comics are weird it funny how it all works.

also I beleived that it will be releaed this coming wednesday ..and thursday in Australia.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that his earlier work on the Spider-Man series is HOT and is getting increasingly hard to find (especially at a reasonable price). I am so glad I snuck away a few extra copies (especially #30 which is the most expensive).
laugh.gif
Heh, as you might tell, I am an avid JMS comic collector and you can visit the section of my web site for more information: Comics by JMS

Also, all the sources I have heard from (including JMS) say that issue #36 will be out on Wed 11/14 (in the US). Finally, I will leave you with some comic retailers I have had good dealings with in the past:

Comic-Cental, 'Nuff Said Comics and Mile High Comics

Good luck!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

I think of my beautiful city in flames, Lennier. The streets where I walked. The temples, great crystal spirals, which sighed music whenever the wind touched. I think of it and I cry... --Delenn

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 11, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
Hey Monica do you read otehr comics or just JMS's one's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not a huge comic reader/collector in general but since I am a huge B5 fan, I got into it. The only other comic series I got hooked on was Sandman (and various other Gaiman offerings).
smile.gif

I am loving of JMS's comics although I have been disappointed by the last few issue's of rising stars. But am looking forwrad to the B5 comic he spoke about a while back with Sinclair and Garilbaldi I beleive, havn't heard about that one in a while.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been a while since I read the last issues of RS so I wonder what you were disappointed with? I think I remember thinking that it was kind of a slow way to end the arc. I hope he will be able to get working on both RS and Midnight Nation soon!

As for the B5 comic ... it has been a while since I have heard anything new going on with that project. Mike Helba (of about.com fame) had this to say about it, "Straczynski is currently planning a story that takes place before 'War Without End' featuring both Sinclair and Sheridan and involving Mars,
Minbar, Babylon 5, and a conspiracy." Sounds interesting but until something more definitive is spoken about it, I think it is still in the "idea" phase.

However, speaking of new JMS comics ... I just read this from him on the moderated newsgroup, "[Delicate Creatures] went to the printer's on Friday, so it should be out soon." This is one that I have been looking forward to for a long time! A combination of Sandman and JMS ... ooh!
smile.gif
In case you are wondering what this graphic novel is all about, I found a page with some nice artwork preview and a brief description:

ComicCon board posting

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/

I think of my beautiful city in flames, Lennier. The streets where I walked. The temples, great crystal spirals, which sighed music whenever the wind touched . I think of it and I cry... --Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
I am not a huge comic reader/collector in general but since I am a huge B5 fan, I got into it. The only other comic series I got hooked on was Sandman (and various other Gaiman offerings). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah ok I understand there are allot of GREAT comics about these days...

I have seen Sandman but have never read it and also didn't relise it was a Gaiman work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> It has been a while since I read the last issues of RS so I wonder what you were disappointed with? I think I remember thinking that it was kind of a slow way to end the arc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has also been a while for me however the thing that I did not know was in the last 2 issue's it seemed so slow and nothing much happened. I was just disappointed.

But beside's those two issue's I loved it especially the first 8 or so issue's. I know these two issue's are a transitional period between act 2 and 3 I just wish it had of been done differently.

I hope he will be able to get working on both RS and Midnight Nation soon!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So do I. It is sad however that Midnight nation is wrapping up only what 4 more issue's to go
frown.gif
But great story can't wait to find what happens to David and laural(damn forgot ladis name that be it maybe).

Go on get the soul back ..

As for the B5 comic ... it has been a while since I have heard anything new going on with that project. Mike Helba (of about.com fame) had this to say about it, "Straczynski is currently planning a story that takes place before 'War Without End' featuring both Sinclair and Sheridan and involving Mars,
Minbar, Babylon 5, and a conspiracy." Sounds interesting but until something more definitive is spoken about it, I think it is still in the "idea" phase.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BUG well he should move along
smile.gif
I need another babylon 5 fix.

However, speaking of new JMS comics ... I just read this from him on the moderated newsgroup, "[Delicate Creatures] went to the printer's on Friday, so it should be out soon." This is one that I have been looking forward to for a long time! A combination of Sandman and JMS ... ooh!
smile.gif
In case you are wondering what this graphic novel is all about, I found a page with some nice artwork preview and a brief description:

ComicCon board posting

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankyou for the Link.

Yeah I almost ordered this a few months ago it was in the magazine Previews for pre-order. It's just I really had no idea what it is about but I do beleive I will get it whne it come's out I just hope it is done well...knowing JMS I hope so.

I wonder what comics JMS will do after RS and Midnigth Nation he did say he wanted to keep making 2 or 3 comic titles at one time.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited November 15, 2001).]

I have seen Sandman but have never read it and also didn't relise it was a Gaiman work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh no ... this is a terrible crime! You must go out and find the TPBs and read them now. You will thank me.
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It has also been a while for me however the thing that I did not know was in the last 2 issue's it seemed so slow and nothing much happened. I was just disappointed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to agree with you. I think I overlooked the slowness factor since I was so happy that there was a new RS comic out.
smile.gif
I am really looking forward to a new MN issue but I am also torn because I know the series is near it's end. Man, is that story ever gripping! (BTW, her name is Laurel)

As for a new comic title, the last I had heard was that he was thinking of an anthology type of comic series. I have not heard much about it recently but I am sure as soon as JMS's schedule lets up, we will hear more.

Finally, I picked up my copies of ASM #36 and was shocked to see that the cover was BLACK! I wonder if it was because they were trying to save costs (I recall that all or most of the proceeds would go to help NYC) or if it relates to the story somehow. I cannot wait to read it!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA
Words are magical. Intellectual banquets. Orgies of ideas. --Anaïs Nin

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 15, 2001).]

Oh no ... this is a terrible crime! You must go out and find the TPBs and read them now. You will thank me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do know my local comics shops have them so I will try one and check it out.

Do you think I should get the first tpb? or is the a different one you think I shoudl start with?

I tend to agree with you. I think I overlooked the slowness factor since I was so happy that there was a new RS comic out.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL I know what about getting all excited about a new issue
smile.gif

I have a feeling RS will pick up again now that it is changing gears.

I am really looking forward to a new MN issue but I am also torn because I know the series is near it's end. Man, is that story ever gripping! (BTW, her name is Laurel)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again I feel the same as you about this book it is gripping! I even got my neighbours to read it who are anti comics for some reason. And they love it after that I got them to read rising stars and they love that even more..

Finally, I picked up my copies of ASM #36 and was shocked to see that the cover was BLACK! I wonder if it was because they were trying to save costs (I recall that all or most of the proceeds would go to help NYC) or if it relates to the story somehow. I cannot wait to read it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yah I picked up my copy of Amazing Spider Man 36 today and saw that Black cover. But I havn't read it yet I am sure it will be good.

I also got Rogue issue 4 today which is written by Fiona Avery. Her No Honor series is really good. She does it as mini series.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Hey Deviot ... do you get the feeling we are having our own private conversation? Well, I hope others are enjoying it as much as I am.
wink.gif

As for Sandman TPBs, I would recommend starting with the first one (Preludes and Nocturnes) since it probably introduces the characters and themes nicely. However, I believe I started reading the series around Season of Mists since that is where the drawing improves and the story really ramps up. You will have to forgive my memory since it has been a few years since I read them. There were times I had to really ignore the images since they were so bad (well, at the time I felt that it was silly to read comics if they were poorly drawn) but the story kept me going.

You are lucky to have converted someone into reading JMS' comics. I don't know many people who would easily pick something like that up but maybe I should try harder.
wink.gif

As for ASM #36, I just finished reading it. I had to read it twice because of the tears the first time. Actually, I read all six issues since I have been holding off reading the Spider-Man comics until now. I don't know why I waited so long but I like to read comics a few at a time otherwise I feel unsatisfied.

All I can say about issue #36 is ... wow! JMS has outdone himself and it must have been hard for everyone who was involved with making it. I really admire what JMS says
and how he says it.

It is a good thing I bought two copies as I am going to pass one of them around at work!

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
What do we tell the children? Do we tell them evil is a foreign face? No, the evil is the thought behind the face, and it can look just like yours. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 16, 2001).]

Hmmn private convo who us?
smile.gif

As for the Sandman tpb I will buy the first one next friday I'll tell you what I think after I have read it.

I find it is hard to convert people only because many people have closed minds and will not give somthing new a try..but when they do they love it
smile.gif

LOL you are like me with comics.. I generally save up a few months of a series and read them all at once it is much more satisfying that one rather then just one issue.

BTW I really like your new Sig!

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited November 16, 2001).]

Hmmn private convo who us?
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh right, what was I thinking?
tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>BTW I really like your new Sig!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! Well, what about this one?
smile.gif
It was really hard deciding what to quote from the comic.

------------------
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

Thanks! Well, what about this one?
smile.gif
It was really hard deciding what to quote from the comic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey ehy anotehr great quote.

I took a break from reading Star wars book Star by Star to read this comic and yup it is a ripper
smile.gif

I love when these comics make you think..heh babylon 5 did that also
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I took a break from reading Star wars book Star by Star to read this comic and yup it is a ripper
smile.gif

I love when these comics make you think..heh babylon 5 did that also
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was a little apprehensive about reading the Spider-Man comics since I had never read them before. However, I read them anyway because of JMS. I knew something of the Spidey's story (how can anyone not?) but only enough to understand a few of the references. I am glad my husband read some Spider-Man comics in his youth so he could fill me in on some things (like the Fantastic Four). I almost wish it came with a little primer/FAQ for those of us who don't have a clue about the comics.

But, back to the topic at hand.
wink.gif
It always amazes me how JMS can take that thing he does best (as seen in B5) and apply it to so many other stories/situations.

------------------
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

I was a little apprehensive about reading the Spider-Man comics since I had never read them before. However, I read them anyway because of JMS. I knew something of the Spidey's story (how can anyone not?) but only enough to understand a few of the references. I am glad my husband read some Spider-Man comics in his youth so he could fill me in on some things (like the Fantastic Four). I almost wish it came with a little primer/FAQ for those of us who don't have a clue about the comics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep I understand this I had never read any spiderman before and only bought it because it was JMS so I only knew really general stuff about Spiderman.

I like the primer/faq idea also..I did not get your referance to the fantastic four either.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Captain America had witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor. That was the first time. He was, after all, created back in the 1940s to fight the Yellow Peril. The Trade Center attack would be the second event.

I don't read comics. I don't really know why I know that.
crazy.gif

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Captain America had witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor. That was the first time. He was, after all, created back in the 1940s to fight the Yellow Peril. The Trade Center attack would be the second event.

I don't read comics. I don't really know why I know that.
crazy.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha! I did not realize that CA has been around that long. See, you know more than I do about comic books (and my knowledge is limited to JMS comics). I totally did not make that connection! Thank you.
smile.gif

------------------

Well, I think in the first few pages of #30 ... Spidey makes a reference to "FF". I had to ask my husband if he knew what that meant and he said it was referring to the Fantastic Four (composed of a rubberman, guy who looks like he is made of stone, a woman who has telekenetic powers and a human torch guy). You can see a lot of Marvel universe heros in issue #36. Fortunately, I did recognize quite a few (like the X-Men, Captain America and Thor).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah gotcha yeah I know who the FF are just not to much about them except the basics.

I thought you mean't they had some other connection to spidy but guess now.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I like the primer/faq idea also..I did not get your referance to the fantastic four either.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I think in the first few pages of #30 ... Spidey makes a reference to "FF". I had to ask my husband if he knew what that meant and he said it was referring to the Fantastic Four (composed of a rubberman, guy who looks like he is made of stone, a woman who has telekenetic powers and a human torch guy). You can see a lot of Marvel universe heros in issue #36. Fortunately, I did recognize quite a few (like the X-Men, Captain America and Thor).

Hmm, talking about Captain America ... does anyone know what Spidey was referring to when he said that CA had witnessed this twice???

------------------

Back