• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: JMS penned comic tackles New York terror attacks

When I heard that JMS was writing for the comic Spider Man (and I think his series Jeremiah is also based on a comic book, right?) I almost cried.

I never read comic books, not even as a child. They are just not my thing. I'm sure he does a fine job with them, but it's just not my style.

I hope Rangers makes it as a series. I don't want to have to learn to read comics to get my JMS fix.
frown.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

yes I beleive JMS's Jeremiah is based off the comic book. Although I have never read it and only heard about it from this web site.

hypatia why are you so anti comics?

There are allot of bad ones out there but also great oens of all different styles...

O well each to there own is what I have always say
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
yes I beleive JMS's Jeremiah is based off the comic book. Although I have never read it and only heard about it from this web site.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a quote from the worldsofjms.com site: "Jeremiah is based on the European comic book of the same name written by Belgian author Hermann Huppen."

I have never read them myself and would only do so if I really liked the series.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>hypatia why are you so anti comics?

There are allot of bad ones out there but also great oens of all different styles...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Deviot here that there so many different types of comic books but I also see Hypatia's adversion to them as well. I don't particularly like reading comics either but I do when a great story comes along (like from JMS or Gaiman). It does take some getting used to reading comics but, I have to tell you Hypatia, JMS makes it worth it!

Rising Stars is a interesting twist to the standard superhero type of comic. The superheroes are flawed and have to deal with problems no one else has done before. Or, at least, that is what I have heard since I am not an avid comic book reader.

Midnight Nation is a different cup of tea all together. It is about a man in search of his soul. It deals with his struggle to find out who he really is and what he is capable of. I would say that it is definitely not your typical comic book story!

Amazing Spider-Man is a little more difficult to get into since you have to know the basic history behind Spidey. I watched the TV series when I was a kid so that helped some. Heh, I have even called the guys at the local comic shops to help me out at times! Even so, JMS turns everything on it's side and makes you look at something in an entirely new light. That makes any story interesting to me! Reading issue #36 can be done as a stand alone and requires basically no background on Spidey or the Marvel universe. Of course, it helps explain some references but it in no way prevents the impact of the subject matter.

If you were anywhere near me, I would lend you a few comics to get you started.
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Seattle, WA | Send a Warm Fuzzy!
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Here is a quote from the worldsofjms.com site: "Jeremiah is based on the European comic book of the same name written by Belgian author Hermann Huppen."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Very loosely based on is more acurate. I've read the comic, and so far, all they have in common are the names of the two main characters and the general premise of the two trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I have never read them myself and would only do so if I really liked the series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought they were pretty good, though you'll need to know a European language beside English if you want to read beyond the the first issue. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It does take some getting used to reading comics but, I have to tell you Hypatia, JMS makes it worth it!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good writers make it worth it.

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?" (audio)
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back