• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My review of the Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD Box Set

Re: My review of the Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD Box Se

Also, I could've sworn that JMS said the cast commentary was on "TLTS".

Actually, he did say that. He also said his commentary would be on "Coming" (which he did not) and "Fall" (which he did).

In addition, I'll be doing commentaries on "The Coming of Shadows" and "The Fall of Night," and there will be a bonus group commentary by Bruce, Claudia and Jerry on "The Long, Twilight Struggle."

I just got my discs today and listened to all the commentaries, the interviews and the gag reel. Not bad so far! :)

I just got my discs today and listened to all the commentaries, the interviews and the gag reel. Not bad so far! :)

Seeing as some here are disputing my claim that the episodes with commentary on are "The Geometry of Shadows", "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum", and "The Fall of Night", can you say precisely which commentaries it is you've actually listened to?

If there's one thing I hate (and this is NOT referring to you, Lyta), is people who say I'm wrong when I've clearly got the hard evidence in front of me and they HAVEN'T.
:(

Seeing as some here are disputing my claim that the episodes with commentary on are "The Geometry of Shadows", "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum", and "The Fall of Night", can you say precisely which commentaries it is you've actually listened to?

You have it absolutely correct Zootle. JMS does commentary on "Shadow" and "Fall" while the three actors did "Geometry". :)

My main question is on packaging. Were there any problems with loose disks?

One of mine was loose, but it does seem a bit better this time. No scratches on the discs though.

Discs 2 and 5 of my set were loose , and have some scratches (toward the
inner part of both discs, made by the hub). I'll be checking them tonight to
make sure they play.

Back when I got Season 1, two discs were loose then as well (can't remember
which ones).

Anybody else have a set that showed up with loose discs? Man, I wish they'd
go for a better hub design.

My main question is on packaging. Were there any problems with loose disks?
Anybody else have a set that showed up with loose discs? Man, I wish they'd go for a better hub design.

One of my discs in set 2 was loose and scratched. The same thing happened with set 1, so clearly there is a problem with the design of the box. My disc from set 1 wouldn't play and had to be returned. I'm hoping the disc from set 2 will play, but it doesn't appear likely since it is scratched at least as badly as the one I sent back last time.

It's very frustrating to wait so long for the box set, have it look so good, then open it up and find loose, scratched discs.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

I think you have a quote problem, one too many or a mismatched pair.

Re. the scratches, my Season 1 discs that were scratched played fine. I might not be so lucky with this set.

What did you think of the episode commentary with Jerry, Claudia, & Bruce? I listened to it today, & it is hilarious! I think they should have given them an episode that had more of them in it, though.

I agree with what the three of them said on the commentary--I want a movie with the original cast! :)

Tammy

Sorry if I repete a couple things here, I haven`t read this thread too much. Did anyone notice that the Minbari ship on the inside flap (where the booklet is) is upside down? Yeah, I know, I know, in space it doesn't really matter, but it still looks funny. Second, one of the DVD's was, not scratched, but dirty! I was watching an episode when it started skipping. I took the DVD out, afraid it would be scratched, but no, it was dirty. And I didn't do it, since my hands were clean and I never touch the underside of a DVD. Thankfully, I was able to clean it up. Also, in the credit sequence before every show, they name Ivanova as Lt. Commander, but she becomes Commander 3 episodes in, if I'm not mistaken. Finally, did you guys like the commentary by Jerry Doyle, Bruce Boxleitner and Claudia Christian? Although, I found it entertaining and I'm glad they took the time to do a commentary for the DVDs, it served no real purpose. All they did is fool around. Anyways, all in all, I'm happy with the DVD's. Since I've caught a bad cold, that's all I've been doing for 2 days. :p

When I received my set yesterday, there were scratches on #4. I checked it out to see if it would play correctly, no such luck. Episode #1 and the commentary by JMS would not play correctly. It would pause and skip forward during play.

Frizzell

When I received my set yesterday, there were scratches on #4. I checked it out to see if it would play correctly, no such luck. Episode #1 and the commentary by JMS would not play correctly. It would pause and skip forward during play.

Frizzell

I was hoping that WB would have learned from the last debacle with the packaging. I plan on buying the set but haven't decided where yet. Most likely I will choose Wal mart since it is close by in case of scratched disks.

What did you think of the episode commentary with Jerry, Claudia, & Bruce?

The actor commentary got a little tedious after a while since all they did was goof off and pick on each other's looks. They didn't really offer much in regards to insight to the show or information about the characters. Still, it was pretty funny and you can see how much fun they had working together.

You can read the rest of my partial review here:
http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/dvds/boxed_s2.html#rev

I bought the set at Best Buy since WalMart didn't have them. All of the disks were in place. I was shocked.

I just got an email from the online retailer I ordered the set from, after I emailed them to say I got a scratched disc. They said that I have to send the entire set back this time, since that is the way the studio wants it. I'm very annoyed. Now I have to be without the set for what is likely to be 5 weeks or more.

Honestly, this is the kind of thing that makes me not want to order any future sets online.

Some online retailers (I think Amazon is one) will send the non-defective discs as well as a shipping label so you don't have to pay postage. Then you return the defective discs when you get the new ones. Maybe if you complain they will do something like that for you?

I had a scratched disk in my season 1 set, ordered from amazon.com. They told me to send back the entire set, but I had 30 days to do so, and, they shipped my replacement overnight!

Lyta wrote: *The actor commentary got a little tedious after a while since all they did was goof off and pick on each other's looks. They didn't really offer much in regards to insight to the show or information about the characters.*

I'm glad someone else feels this way, too. I didn't want to be the only one. I also noticed that the other special feature commentaries contained several spoilers for Seasons 3-5, which might reduce the overall B5 experience for newcomers. :( New fans deserve to be surprised by those odd plot turns and twists just like we all were ten years ago.

I got the impression that the cast, crew and producers all believe that B5 is *over.* They don't realize that new fans come on board every day. :rolleyes:

but the DVD's are really a collectors item for anyone that knows the series.

The spoiler thing on ALL of the commentaries jms did isn't really an issue. Just warn newbies not to watch the commentaries before seeing all the dvds. Though most newbies will probably get into the show on tv, and if they really like it, they'll buy the dvds

I got the impression that the cast, crew and producers all believe that B5 is *over.* They don't realize that new fans come on board every day. :rolleyes:

Here in Holland a babylon 5 dvd set costs 80 euros (just under 80 dollars, with the current value of the dollar :D ). To me, that's a lot of money. Why spend that much on a tv series you didn't watch in the first place? How would you know that the box set is worth that much? (but of course - it is)

This morning I finished watching my lovely new season 2 set and now I'm on a B5 high :) Overall, I'm happy with the DVDs, though a few things bugged me. Some of the sound on a couple of the early eps is not quite right, but the problems are short-lived. I have to agree with folks who said that the commentary on "The Geometry of Shadows" was kinda lame. Sometimes funny, not very useful and finally annoying. And it's a small thing, but I really was irritated by the title sequence of the first episode.

Something I didn't expect to get out of rewatching s2 was a new introduction to Sheridan & Delenn's relationship. They never did anything for me before; I guess I just never saw the chemistry. But this time around, as I watched the tentative beginnings of their relationship over the course of the season, I was enchanted by them. He's so delighted by her and by the way she thinks. Then a scene in "Confessions and Lamentations" sealed it for me. It's just before she & Lennier go into isolation with the Markab, she touches Sheridan's face and says they'll meet in the place where no shadows fall. That moment contains such intimacy, as much as their first kiss. It made me cry :rolleyes:

Then along came "Divided Loyalties" and all my sappy feelings about romance were hosed :(

That's about it. There are a dozen things I could comment on about every episode, but that'd get awful boring.

I'm actually enjoying the Box/Doyle/Christian commentary quite a bit. Granted, its not nearly as deep as JMS's commentary tracks, however, its a lot of fun. You can tell they loved working together.

-Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Back