• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My review of the Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD Box Set

samuelk

The Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD box set was supposed to be released on th 29th, but for some reason, Amazon.com and NorthAmericanDVD.com started shipping on the 21st. An early DVD release is not unheard of, but not par for the course, either.

The packaging for the set is quite nice, and is the same as the season 1 packagine, except for the updated graphics. I love the book-style DVD case. Technically, one of the ships on the cover art is upside down, but since there's really no upside down in space, I guess it's not a big deal. :)

After the strong sales of Season 1 stunned Warner Brothers, they decided to put a bit more effort into future season sets. Season 1 featured commentaries on two episodes by J. Michael Straczynski.

This time around, we're given three commentaries: Two by JMS (For the episodes "The Coming of Shadows" and the season finale "The Fall of Night"), and one featuring cast members Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova), Bruce Boxleitner (John Sheridan) and Jerry Doyle (Michael Garibaldi) (for the episode "Geometry of Shadows".

JMS' commentaries are packed full of information. Even if you've scoured every page of the Lurker's Guide for trivia, JMS manages to dish out stuff you've probably never heard before (which, given the vast amount of information that's in the Lurker's Guide, is an amazing feat).

The cast commentary, on the other hand, is quite a bit different, but still entertaining. While JMS' commentary focuses on the story, effects and general progression of the production of an episode, the cast commentary is just a fun discussion between three friends. You can tell immediately that Bruce, Jerry and Claudia are very comfortable with each other, and enjoyed working on the show. As soon as the commentary starts, so do the laughs. They have a good time, while still managing to tell some good behind-the-scenes stories. And they mention more than once how lucky they were to be working on such a great show.

The episodes themselves were remastered from the original widescreen master copies, and given a new Dolby 5.1 sound mix.

You can also view the original promo video for each episode. These were often quite corny, thanks to the melodramatic voiceover, and really not that great. Still, the completist will be glad they're included.

Since the CGI scenes were never rendered in widescreen, they again had to be cropped to match the aspect ratio of the live action scenes. This really isn't a big deal, since the CGI shots were composed with widescreen in mind, and most of the action takes place center-screen. Most of what gets chopped off is empty space.

The visual quality of the episodes varies from OK to great. Since B5 was filmed on 35mm film stock, filim grain is very obvious, and something that just can't be helped. Though some scenes are grainier than others, probably because certain scenes (mostly live-action scenes that contain some CGI) were enlarged and cropped for widescreen format.

The audio is excellent. Lots of range and good use of surround sound.

Aside from the commentaries, there are a few more extras. The biggest extras are two documentaries filmed specifically for the DVDs.

The first documentary is "Building Babylon: Blueprint of an Episode". This featurette walks through the production of an average epsidoe of Babylon 5, and features interviews with producers, directors cast and crew members. It's very thorough, and contains a lot of good info.

The second documentary is more promotional in nature, but still quite informative. "Shadows and Dreams: Honors of Babylon" is a retrospective collection of interviews that focus on Babylon 5's Hugo award win and nominations.

Other features include a rather extensive sections titled "Tech Files", "Personnel Files" and "Data Files". They're well produced (The "Personnel Files" are even read by the original actress who supplied the voice for the computers on Bayblon 5), but most of the info could be found in the Lurker's Guide or elsewhere on the web. Still nice to have them on disc.

Finally, there's a nice interactive Babylon 5 timeline that covers major events in the B5 universe from the 1950's to 2259 (the date of Season 2).

Most of the product descriptions for this set (including the write-up on Amazon.com) lists a "Gag Reel" as one of the features. Unless it's a very well hidden easter egg, I have yet to find it. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake in the write-up. The only existing gag-reel I've seen for B5 was bootlegged blooper reels from all 5 seasons. I can't imagine these would be included on the DVDs, mainly because the quality of the tapes is VERY poor. Still, it would be nice to have them, as many of the outtakes are hilarious.

This is a great set, and one can only hope that the remaining three seasons are as good or better than the first two. In a perfect world, we would be watching B5 in letterbox format without all the film grain and occasional scratches. But it ain't a perfect world. I'm ok with that.

Re: My review of the Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD Box Se

Thanks for the review! :)

Most of the product descriptions for this set (including the write-up on Amazon.com) lists a "Gag Reel" as one of the features. Unless it's a very well hidden easter egg, I have yet to find it. I'm beginning to think it was a mistake in the write-up.

yeah, thats probably it :( i remember in s1, an ad talked about deleted scenes. Never happened.

How many episodes of the set have you watched (from you description it sounds like the whole set). I found the pic quality to be dissapointing on the first episode does it get a lott better or just a little better?

Oh by the way, etailers tend to send stuff out as soon as they get it in stock, except amazon who I beleieve have been slapped on the wrists for this. So it is more the norm then the exception.

This time around, we're given three commentaries: Two by JMS (For the episodes "The Coming of Shadows" and the season finale "The Fall of Night"), and one featuring cast members Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova), Bruce Boxleitner (John Sheridan) and Jerry Doyle (Michael Garibaldi) (for the episode "Geometry of Shadows".

Ah, if only this were true. JMS does NOT comment on "The Coming of Shadows". The two episodes he does commentaries on are "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum" and "The Fall of Night".

Really, I'd have expected a commentary on "The Coming of Shadows", it being (a) excellent, and (b) a Hugo winner!

You are wrong :) The commentary was indeed on Coming of Shadows, and the finale.

You are wrong :) The commentary was indeed on Coming of Shadows, and the finale.

Not on my R1 S2 box set it's not.
And I've put the discs in the player to check.

My main question is on packaging. Were there any problems with loose disks?

One of mine was loose, but it does seem a bit better this time. No scratches on the discs though.

How many episodes of the set have you watched (from you description it sounds like the whole set). I found the pic quality to be dissapointing on the first episode does it get a lott better or just a little better?

I haven't watched all of the episodes, but I've seen some of the eps later in the season (Fall of Night, for one), and the video quality get a LITTLE better, but not much. It still varies a lot in each episode.

Oh by the way, etailers tend to send stuff out as soon as they get it in stock, except amazon who I beleieve have been slapped on the wrists for this. So it is more the norm then the exception.

No, most e-tailers wait until closer to release date to ship. If a DVD is set for release on a Tuesday, sometimes e-tailers will ship on the previous Friday in order for the customer to receive the disc on release day. But to have a shipment go out more than a week early is rare.

Someone posted in another thread that the "GAG REEL" is indeed an Easter Egg. Its hidden in almost the same fashion as the one in the S1 set was.

No, most e-tailers wait until closer to release date to ship. If a DVD is set for release on a Tuesday, sometimes e-tailers will ship on the previous Friday in order for the customer to receive the disc on release day. But to have a shipment go out more than a week early is rare.

Er sorry mate, I do not know where you are shoping, but I got Back to the Future R1 shipped two weeks before release, 8 mile a week and a half before release from Canada among others. My experiance has always been etailers send out their stock as soon as they get it, etailers such as Play.com and Cd-wow are good like this.

My experiance has always been etailers send out their stock as soon as they get it

I suspect that this is an issue of: Are we small enough to fly under WB's (or whichever major producer) radar, or are we big enough that they will take notice and send their lawyers after us? Or, possibly worse, stop supplying us product until after the street date in the future?

I have just checked, Zootie you are correct the commentary is indeed on in the shadows of zah'dum. For some reason I thought this was supposed to be on Comming of Shadows and the cast commentary I culd have sworn JMS posting it as being on Twilight Struggle.

I have just checked, Zootie you are correct the commentary is indeed on in the shadows of zah'dum. For some reason I thought this was supposed to be on Comming of Shadows and the cast commentary I culd have sworn JMS posting it as being on Twilight Struggle.

Well, yeah, I was really hoping that they'd be some commentary on Coming of Shadows, so I was a bit disappointed that there was nothing at all. :(
Still, I'm thankful for any commentaries at all really. :)

I actually think it's better on "Shadow" than on "The Coming of Shadows". It contained far more plot development (probably) than any other S2 episode, and has some brilliant moments from Morden. That smile is just priceless. I remember the first time I saw this episode, thinking "man, this thing is big". I'm glad it's on that episode personally.

Also, I could've sworn that JMS said the cast commentary was on "TLTS". Oh well, a shame if it is not - it's probably my favourite episode of Babylon 5, and contains the council scene near the end - arguably the best scene in B5 - ever. I cry practically every time I see that.

Anyway, "Geometry" is good :)

Can't wait for the R2 release.

JMS published the script of the "The Comming of Shadows" and added his writtens comments. He also included it in his book on scripwriting.

My experiance has always been etailers send out their stock as soon as they get it, etailers such as Play.com and Cd-wow are good like this.

Maybe overseas retailers can get away with this, especially when they are reshipping R1 discs that they import. Most major U.S. retailers, including Amazon.com, are subject to agreements with either the distributors they buy from or the studios directly that prohibit them from selling items before "street date". Books are similarly embargoed until publication date, as are CDs. Many mail-order houses will ship just early enough to get the product to the consumer by the street date, while the Amazons of this world are extra careful and generally don't even ship until street date. Breaking the embargo can result in fines or even refusal to provide product for a given period, so stores (in the U.S.) are careful about this.

Nor do most store get their stock of a new title much more than a week ahead of the ship date. Nobody wants to give over valuable warehouse space to a product that can't be sold, so they aim to get the stuff in just far enough ahead of time to slap the prices stickers so they can get them on the shelves fast when the time comes.

Regards,

Joe

I used to work for CDnow and we were allowed to ship early to different regions based upon average days of delivery time so it would arrive as close to the street date as possible.

It was also good for the warehouses - our biggest was Valley in California - because they could ship to the east coast of the US 4 days before, central / mid-west 3 days before, and the others 2 days before.

Amazon (obviously, if you view cdnow.com) was bigger than us, but CDnow was pretty damn big.

Cheers,

-Tim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back