• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Loose end from season 2?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

one of the best features of the series is the continuity of plotline across the 5 years. However, in rewatching a season 2 episode "Spider in the Web" it seems to me a plot line was started that was never followed. The lazarus project, bureau 13 and the mysterious psicorp women working out of the "San Diego wasteland" were introduced. The shows ending strongly implied intrigue and underground plotting that we would meet again. Is my memory faulty, or was that the last we heard of "Bureau 13"?

The only thing I might be able to add hear is about Bureau 13 I read somewhere that was pulled because there was a game with the same name already using the name so they decided to pull the plug as to the other questions I think the San Deigo wasteland was mentioned again in s5 I could be wrong though as to the psi cop I don't remember ever seeing her again.

I don't know if that was the original intent, but I think you're suppose to chalk it up to just another conspiracy in the conspiracy and corrupt ridden Clarke EarthGov administration. It really showed Sheriden being against such conspiracies and it showed a relationship with at least part of PsiCorps - which was involved with Clarke. True, they might have been planning to do more with it and it just got swamped in the whole of everything happening - Clarke, the Earth rebellion, the Shadow war - or maybe that's all it was ... perhaps just another passing secret group you never see again - how often do people encounter such secret societies once let alone twice? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif They could have gone underground, changed names, etc. Might have even been just a small handful of people - just cogs in bigger groups, etc.

What I want to know is why the Psi Cop contact had to be hiding in the San Diego wastelands (which we learned at some point - at least once - was caused by a "terrorist nuking" attack). You wouldn't think she'd have to be out in the middle of no where to do such activities - especially when there probably was plenty of support. We know PsiCorps has a base in Seria Planium on Mars so you'd think she could have done it there - and then even if someone traced back the signal from Able Horn - it would have gone straight to Mars and helped make him appear to be a radical "Free Mars" terrorist.

What Shaal Mayan is alluding to is correct. JMS discovered that the name Bureau 13 was already being used someplace else, so he decided to not write it any further into the B5 story.

Bureau 13 was dropped (as a name) because of the the existing game. The Psi-Corps woman was dropped because she was tied to Talia's story, and when Andrea left, there was no where to go with that. She wasn't someone who could later be connected to Lyta without it seeming contrived.

In story terms it is assumed that the group known as Bureau 13 changed its name. This happens all the time in the real world of covert intelligence, especially if a codename somehow becomes public. Even large organizations get their names changed - the Soviet security service was variously known as OGPU, NKVD, MVD and various other high-value Scrabble words before settling on KGB.

The mere fact that we don't see something twice doesn't make it a loose end. There were entire stories going on (the Mars resistance, underground opposition to Clarke on Earth, events on the outer colonies) that only caught glimpses of, or only heard about, because they weren't part of the main B5 story as seen from the perspective of the folks based on the station. Even if Talia had stayed we probably would never have gone back to San Diego. Her future confrontation(s) with Abby would likely have taken place on B5 or on Mars. San Diego was just used as a location for that base because (a) it was cool, and referred back to something already established in the B5 future history and (b) an abandoned, radioactive city is the ideal place for a covert base. Who is going to go looking for you there, or even consider it as a possible location?

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>We know PsiCorps has a base in Seria Planium on Mars so you'd think she could have done it there - and then even if someone traced back the signal from Able Horn - it would have gone straight to Mars and helped make him appear to be a radical "Free Mars" terrorist.
<hr></blockquote></font color=yellow>

I always thought B13 was a psi corps covert dirty tricks division set up by Clarke and kept secret not just from "mundanes" but also from most of the rest of Psi Corps. If this is the case Clarke wouldn't want it anywhere near the Psi Corps base on Mars. B 13 might also be the agency responsible for supplying the "weapons systems" that were to be used by the shadows that Bester finds out about in the episode <font color=blue> Ship of Tears</font color=blue>. When I see a high level teep assigned to earth dome and working close to Clarke I get the feeling they may also be linked to B 13. Just my two cents of paranoia. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

B13 is the secret organization with Morden as it head, its through this that the shadows can move secretly and getting involved with earth gov and giving them tech etc....

And where did you pull that out of?/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Seriously that's the first I've ever heard that theory. How did you come up with it?

Where did you get the idea that Morden was the head of B13. He was certainly Clarke's liaison with the Shadows but he was never connected with anyone else that I recall. Also he was not ever remotely telepathic and would never have been involved with Psi Corps. Just my opinion.

What is with space based sci fi and a nuked san diego? do not both B5 and star trek have a nuked san diego, and are there others that do as well? and what is so damn stratigically important about san diego?

CR

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by EntilSedai:
<font color=yellow>What is with space based sci fi and a nuked san diego? do not both B5 and star trek have a nuked san diego, and are there others that do as well? and what is so damn stratigically important about san diego?

CR</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

San Diego would fall in the "tactical target" area rather than the "strategic target" area.

As I understand it, San Diego was nuked by terrorist so what may have happened is they were discovered while trying to smuggle their thermonuke into the US via San Diego port and set it off before they could be captured or killed. Or, possibly, screwed up and detonated it by accident.

SD getting nuked in B5 makes sense from that stand-point ... all thought haven't there been hints - maybe non-cannon - dropped about another world war?

As far as Star Trek's WWIII ... for some reason San Franisico and Paris didn't get bombed though the war was heavy enough to start a nuclear winter and drive many back to a barbarian age ...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Loadhan:
<font color=yellow>As far as Star Trek's WWIII ... for some reason San Franisico and Paris didn't get bombed though the war was heavy enough to start a nuclear winter and drive many back to a barbarian age ...</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
First, where did they say that San Francisco and Paris never got bombed? Second there was never a lot of description as to the nature of the war. It did sound like it was NOT a full launch nuclear war. And as for the "barbarian" age, that is an exaggeration. Sure, things got plunged into a 3rd world country kind of situation, but it was a far, far cry from a barbarian age. As you saw in First Contact, while the world was set back considerably, SOME people still had technology on different levels, and it just took time to rebound and get things working again.

But overall lots of details of that were not said, especially which cities got bombed and which didnt.

who cares ????????????????????

season 2 was way back in 93/94 i think (not sure though)
thats nearly 10 years go on get a life and watch something thats newer maybe ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Healy:
<font color=yellow>who cares ????????????????????

thats nearly 10 years go on get a life and watch something thats newer maybe ???</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

There are a lot of people who are watching the series for the first time now that it airs on Scifi so your rant isn't valid.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Healy:

thats nearly 10 years go on get a life and watch something thats newer maybe ???</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Then what are you doing here?

Dear Simon Healy... may I presume that you have arrived here to obtain a life? How interesting... I happen to have only one. It is... how should I say... reserved. I might borrow it to some people, but rather doubt if that list would include you. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Besides, I also doubt if one can truly obtain a meaningful life by bothering people who already have one? There must be other, much easier ways...

My good friend Mr. Simon Needaban Healy. Stop making an ass out of yourself. You know nothing of my life so dont tell me to get one. Id wager I have more of one than you will ever have. I have a great job, I make more than enough to support myself, and I have an active social life. I dont watch much TV at all, but when I do, I do watch some new TV shows (24, Jeremiah and Boston Public own), but I also enjoy watching reruns of B5 and even Star Trek occasionaly. And, God forbid, when I have spare time at work or at home I like posting here because Ive met some cool people and have fun posting. Who cares? You dont like it I suggest you say goodbye for good and leave (and do it for real this time, unlike your last post 3 months ago).

Dont tell me to get a life, I have one. Do you?

Well well well

My dear recoil if you if im making an ass out of myself why would u need to ban me ? im a b5 fan i love B5 . shall i tell you why ? because some of what i say may ring true , and you dont like it maybe .... in you`re rather presumptious assumation of wether i have a life , well i dont but then again i watch babylon 5 lol ... i also enjoy watching reruns of b5/star trek aswell . you dont like me much do u recoil .. why ? cos i say things u dont like ??? eh ?

<font color=yellow>who cares ????????????????????</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Everybody but you, obviously /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Back