• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lets Give JMS Credit and Thanks

• Let us give credit to JMS for introducing us into this branch of the B5 universe and giving us all a new show that rekindles old passions.

For those of you who are complaining about some aspects of the show, I say we can overlook whatever heartaches we had. Just be glad that Sci-Fi channel and JMS have given us something new to discuss.

Think of the magnitude of effort it would have been to start up a new movie/(series?). From choosing the cast, selecting music, titles, a whole new written language, ship design and special effects creation, production co-ordination, not to mention the creative genius it took to imagine these characters, situations and their future fates. We all know how much JMS gets involved in all these processes, and I'm sure many more that I do not have the insight to mention. Do not overlook the fact that we have just witnessed an unprecedented science fiction idea, the VR, 3D, thought controlled human-weapons-interface.

I think for now we can overlook a couple of points of contention I have read other people had with the show. A few of these are the look of the Valen, the weapons interface and The Hand. The haunted ship was interesting. If there is a purpose for this in the grand design, I could grow to like it. Initially however it was tiring.

The master has laid out all the elements for a great series if the Sci-Fi channel has the foresight to pick it up. Great potential for character development, political conflict within the rangers, super villains and a ship that we have yet to see the full potential of yet.

I love the idea that the Liandra is an old ship with a history and a personality all it's own. Similar to an old Dodge I used to drive.

Hopefully since the Liandra is 20 years old, we can modernize the human-weapons interface, so as to be more in line with the rest of the fleet. I must also point out, and you've probably read this as many times as the characters voiced it, "We live for the One, we die for the One". That part was overdone.

What makes it special is that it's a new vein in a familiar genre. Show the sponsors and Sci-Fi the interest and buying power of their audience. CDW, H&R Block, Jeep were the main advertisers. Buy some merchandise from these vendors and make sure they know that you were inspired to select their companies merchandise because of their support of this show.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

I'm with you. I didn't realize how starved I was for new B5 material until last night.

I have few quibbles (my only big one being that it is so obviously a pilot and not a self-contained story), but overall I loved it. I want more NOW!

And now we have new stuff to argue about.
lol.gif

------------------

You're right "more stuff to argue about"
. It looks like there is plenty of that going on. That shows how much people want this show to succeed.

---------------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rhea:
I'm with you. I didn't realize how starved I was for new B5 material until last night.

I have few quibbles (my only big one being that it is so obviously a pilot and not a self-contained story), but overall I loved it. I want more NOW!

And now we have new stuff to argue about.
lol.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Now I just hope that I'll see it some day here, in Finland also
smile.gif

------------------
Logical thinking - Perfect weapon

I know... I'm such a B5 Nerd that I got chills when he said the line about no one being exactly what they appear. Hehe...

------------------
No choice, no choice at all.

Well folks it looks like we may have already had an impact, on the web anyway. Last night a part of this site crashed due to high volume traffic. I have just tried to get on the Sci-Fi channels, B5: The Legend of the Rangers bulletin board is down.

Hooray! We Live for the Rangers, We Kill Websites for the Rangers.

Anybody seen ratings numbers anywhere yet?

------------------

Yes, because we expect such perfection from JMS and the gang we do nit-pick! But I really, really want to see a series come from this pilot.

As always, I really liked the characters he's put together here. Although:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> I think poor Tirk had only one line in the whole show! A good line, but I just don't remember him getting much to do and say. </font></td></tr></table>

I know there isn't enough time to go into every character in depth, though. Not in (how long is it without commercials? 1 hour 42 minutes?)

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Not in (how long is it without commercials? 1 hour 42 minutes?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Less. A "2-hour" TV movie clocks in at around 94 minutes sans commercials. Basically it's two episodes - and episodes are around 42 minutes, leaving a couple of minutes for opening and closing credits and around 15 for commericals.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DW:
I would like to thank JMS because he always gives us something different than what the rest do. *Claps*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beautiful answer.

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I want a series.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bit choppy, but another excellent answer.

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Less. A "2-hour" TV movie clocks in at around 94 minutes sans commercials. Basically it's two episodes - and episodes are around 42 minutes, leaving a couple of minutes for opening and closing credits and around 15 for commericals.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that's a lot of commercial time.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

The Sci-Fi channel, B5: The Legend of the Rangers bulletin board is down. Second time today I've seen it being overwhelmed.

Good job fans!

Let's fry some circuit boards on them servers, that will get their attention.
cool.gif

------------------
"What is it, you moonfaced assasin of joy?".

I just thought I'd chime in here to thank the ever-talented JMS for even giving us the world of B5 in the first place. There's been ups, there's been downs, but in all it's been a good time. And for that I thank him.

------------------
"There's always hope, because it's the one thing nobody's figured out how to kill yet." - Galen

indeed

i thank the great maker for blessing me with great BIG
shocked.gif
eyes with which i can watch such a cool movie

------------------
We require no signature.

Well said Black Omega!
smile.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

Yes, I want more.

About the complaints: 'We b!tch because we love.'

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

I have to agree. Although there were small things, I definately believe it's better than The Gathering, and I think the plot and chance for actual development is there. I don't think it would disappoint if it went to series, and I think it needs to.

Many complain about a great deal of things, from weapons to characters. I think it was kinda expected. I don't think anyone is ever completely happy with anything. Besides, JMS's strength has always seemed to lie in longer stories, where he has a chance to intro characters, intro ships, over longer periods of time, not to try and cram every detail about everything into one.

I think it should be a series, and faith manages, both in getting one, and in JMS making it a good one.

------------------
It's like I've always said, you can get more with a kind word and a 2 by 4 than you can with just a kind word.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back