• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lets Give JMS Credit and Thanks

I agree that there is potential. While I didn't like a few things about it, on the whole it was very good. Here's hoping for a new series!

------------------
"We Centauri live our lives for appearances. Position, status, title; these are the things by which we define ourselves. But when I look beneath the mask I am forced to wear, I see only emptiness. And then I think of you. And I say to hell with appearances." - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

JMS has my respect, credit and thanks. So do all of the actors of "Babylon 5", the actors of "Rangers" and everyone else involved in creating these stories.

I hope that "Rangers" will lead to a series, reaching or even exceeding the quality demonstrated in "Babylon 5".

What has been achieved before is from many aspects unsurpassable. Therefore I wish that "Rangers" tries to reach a similar level of excellence while exploring different fields, looking at the same universe from another perspective. I hope to recognize some of the old, but also notice a lot of new.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

I would like to thank JMS because he always gives us something different than what the rest do. *Claps*

------------------
Have a nice day!!!

I'm very interested to see the numbers from last night. Even TV Guide didn't have much to say bad about it - and there was the potential that a LOT could be said about it that was bad, since it WAS a pilot.

On the other hand, my wife didn't have a single critical comment to make. I say "My wife", because I'm such a fanboi (according to her
smile.gif
) that I would have loved it and wanted a continuing series if it had simply been

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>David Martel reading the phone book: "Adams, Richard. 55 Los Valen Boulevard..."</font></td></tr></table>

Of course, she's probably right, since I was saying that I was ready for a full series during the opening titles.

(For real spoiler this time)

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>I got very choked up when G'kar started talking about B5 at the end there...</font></td></tr></table>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wyvern (edited January 20, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Yes, I want more.
About the complaints: 'We b!tch because we love.'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And wouldn't life be dull if we all just loved everything that was set before us.

I am not sure that this is the correct thread for what I am about to say - there are so many opening up it is getting a bit confusing for this poor Brit (who hasn't even seen it).

Just wanted to reiterate something that JMS said many moons ago about S1 of a certain show. Can't remember the exact quote, but he was basically saying that "The Gathering" (and presumably pilots in general) was difficult because it is written in isolation without having seen the faces and heard the voices of those playing the new characters.

Once the cast of B5 was in place he noticed a marked improvement between the stuff written before filming started and the stuff written afterwards when he had had a chance to see the actors in character and start to hear the correct voice in his head.

Let us hope he gets the chance to go through that process again.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Except that (if B5 is anything to go by) we will not get to see the TVM until well after the series has started.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by allroy:
I know... I'm such a B5 Nerd that I got chills when he said the line about no one being exactly what they appear. Hehe...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And we knew what was coming next. And I sniffled.
smile.gif

------------------

I noticed one interesting detail about the end of the movie. I don't know if spoiler warnings were needed here, so I'm putting this in as a spoiler:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Has anyone mentioned yet that Babylon 5 was, I think carefully, never actually NAMED? I find that interesting. Maybe marketing, maybe something else. I noticed the "Epsilon" reference when G'kar's destination at the end of the movie was mentioned. G'kar gave a very typical "not what they appear" bit. But B5 was never named.

I suppose that was an artistic touch. </font></td></tr></table>

crazy.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back