• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest on Jeremiah

Channe: Guess you forgot to read the articles in MGM's newsletter eh?
wink.gif
Seriously, it is nice to see SciFi promoting Jeremiah and they give a nice teaser.

Speaking of teasers ... I checked out the trailer that is on http://sho.com/jeremiah/ and it is a different one than the video clip available from jeremiah.tv. I thought the "trailer" was better than the "video clip".

Jeremiah Trailer (RealAudio format)

Kribu: Boy, that is sneaky of Showtime to block all non-US IP addresses. Pretty dirty way to run a web site. Well, there are ways to get around it if you are determined enough. I have no experience with it myself but if you look around the net, I am sure there is something you can find.
wink.gif
Personally, I would write Showtime a nice little email expressing my opinion about their web practices ... *shrug*

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

Lyta: thanks, but I don't think I'll bother. I agree though, this is... well, not the nicest thing I've encountered.

The message seems to be clear: since you can't watch our channel anyway, please do not burden our website by your unwanted presence.

Fair enough, they probably have bandwidth issues to consider. I just hope this kind of thing won't spread.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Jeremiah Trailer (RealAudio format)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can you locate a real host of this file because showtime website cant be viewed outside of USA?
frown.gif

Just view source of this page.

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sigma:
Can you locate a real host of this file because showtime website cant be viewed outside of USA?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I meant to paste in this URL instead so I hope this works better...

Jeremiah Trailer (direct link, hopefully)

------------------
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

No, I've read MGM, which is why I said you might recognize it if you're keeping up on your Jeremiah news
wink.gif

That's evil and mean. I've never heard of something like that happening before!

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

This is getting amusing...

This time, clicking on the link brought up RealPlayer - but it says it can't connect to the server. And "trying other ways to connect" (what RealPlayer suggests) doesn't work either.

Well, I guess it can't be helped. Seems that anything that's located at www.showtimeonline.com is accessible only from the US.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers

Well, maybe it likes you better than it does me.
smile.gif

I've tried several times now, and it's not working. It may be just my connection but I seem to get everywhere else just fine and RealPlayer hasn't given me any problems before.

Nah, doesn't matter. I've decided to not get all worked up about Jeremiah anyway, even if it does sound intriguing.

------------------

Poor Kribu!

At least with B5LR there's the hope (you've seen it, right, Kribu?). With Showtime it's totally blocked off.

I mean, I won't see it, but that's because I'm not willing to pony up $30.00 every month to watch it (no show is that good).
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
At least with B5LR there's the hope (you've seen it, right, Kribu?).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>With Showtime it's totally blocked off.

I mean, I won't see it, but that's because I'm not willing to pony up $30.00 every month to watch it (no show is that good).
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's quite right. But at least you have the choice - and you can still access their site!

It's not so much this particular incident with Showtime's site that bothers me, it's more the whole idea of blocking a website to the rest of the world. I'd understand it if such measures were used to block people from other countries from entering competitions, for example, but this... it seems to go against everything the Internet has so far stood for.

Besides - what if I were an American currently living abroad but returning to the States soon, trying to decide well in advance what cable channels to subscribe to? Well, certainly not Showtime!
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Well, maybe it likes you better than it does me.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, now I am getting suspicious of you Kribu ... Sigma had no problems and s/he is from Estonia as well.
laugh.gif
Time to get a new ISP?

*wonders what Kribu did to deserve this*
wink.gif
tongue.gif

I agree that blocking IP addresses is a petty thing to do even if you have a semi-legitimate reason ... but even then, there are other ways to deal with it.

The only other thing I can think of to try is to copy'n'paste the URL directly into your RealPlayer. Hmm, unless it opens up the Player just fine but it has problems processing the HTTP request? Anyway, if that still doesn't work, then I will have my husband sniff the network at home tonight and see if we can't get the RTSP request.

Pfffft to Showtime! It doesn't matter that Kribu is giving up on it since it galls me that they do this and I am determined to figure out how to get around it.
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Hmm, unless it opens up the Player just fine but it has problems processing the HTTP request?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what it's been doing. RealPlayer comes up, attempts to connect as usual, displayes a message saying that it can't connect to the server in question, attempts to connect using other protocols, and still comes up with nothing.

So it sort of gets half-way there, and then stops.

Too bad I've been sick for the last days and have to stay at home - otherwise I'd give it a try from work (different ISP from both mine at home and Sigma's - yes, his ISP is different from mine) and see how it goes.

------------------

Kribu: maybe you have old Realplayer version. Trailer is in G2 realmedia stream, old realmedia players cant understand it.

I use Realplayer Basic 8.

Connection spead should not be a problem...i have Comtrade and it has very slow out-country line
frown.gif

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

No, I have RealPlayer 8 Basic as well.

And I'm fairly sure that speed (although the STV connection sucks as well) should not be the problem, as it just cannot connect to the server at all, it's not a download speed issue.

One of the great mysteries of the universe, I guess.
laugh.gif

Edit note: being a stubborn person, I gave it another try. And lo and behold, it works.
laugh.gif
Well, I assume this was my problem - but the general Showtime Online issue remains.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kribu (edited February 06, 2002).]

Here's a new scifiwire article:

Perry Talks Jeremiah

They mention a return to an "unshaven look familiar to fans of Perry's 90210 character, Dylan."

Showtime is evil. Evil, I say. They know just how to drag in the market. Especially the early-to-mid-twenties viewers for whom Luke Perry was the Ultimate Teen Idol when he was in 90210. Damn Showtime's PR department!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

Originally posted by channe:

Damn Showtime's PR department!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you mean "Good job Showtime PR management!"
laugh.gif
?

If this move gets more viewers for JMS' work, all the better. Many current B5 fans became so when they were teens (myself included). So more vieweres, from any demographic, is always a good thing.

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

*laughs* I'm being sarcastic
smile.gif

Yup. I'm not sure what the target market is for Jeremiah quite yet. You can usually tell - for example, it was *blatant* with Rangers, and Star Trek's not hiding it at all. But Jeremiah? I'm sure they're trying to appeal to young adults... I can't get any more specific than that until I see more promotional material.

But, I think they're relying on the fact that young twentysomethings who saw the unshaven Luke Perry as the heir to the Throne of Jordan Knight will want to tune into Jeremiah...

------------------

if for some reason any of you happen to miss the initial airing of the premiere, it will be reshown again on Friday March 8th in what will be its final timeslot of 10:45 pm immediately following Stargate SG-1, and again on Saturday March 9th at 10 pm.

on a freaky note, when i registered for this forum, the initials of the person for whom i work were sent to me as part of my password. (i work for one of the uppermost people on this show, but that is all i will reveal..)
-di doctor-

Hey, Dr RingDing, we have something in common, we both work for people who work for the show.....difference is I have the TWO PARTER SEASON FINALE! Howzabout you? Will trade you for one of the cuts.

jackarr

------------------
jackarr

Latest posts

Members online

Back