• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS on B5 DVDs

Lyta

I haven't seen this posted yet so here goes ... straight from the horse's mouth. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color="orange">On the DVDs, last I heard they'll be out around mid-November, with the whole first season at about a hundred bucks. I did the commentaries on Signs and Portents and Chrysalis, and an on-camera intro and interview. They've also done new interviews with Rick Biggs, Claudia, John Iacovelli, John Copeland, Stephen Furst, Jerry Doyle and others. So it should be a pretty big deal overall, much better than the movie dvd.</font color>

This DVD set is so mine. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The news just keeps getting better and better!

It will be 100 bucks well spent on my part. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Just about four and a half months to go!!

Gives us something to look forward to before "The Two Towers" comes out and something which will take up the time there-after .. that is if the DVDs come out on time ...

Damn. Mid-November... the same time that the Fellowship of the Ring extended edition DVD-set is out. And $100... *sighs several times*

I might have to wait a while with buying them. But it does sound good, with all the extra stuff! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It's not about having the money - I have it. It's about justifying the expense to myself, and I don't know if I can do that, not with more important things to spend on (and yes, there are more important things out there than B5 DVDs).

I don't think I can justify spending that much on DVDs in one month to myself.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

how much is the LotR special edition DVD?

[/quote]
about 25$ + S&H

Sigma

No question. This disk sounds almost edible, so I shall obtain it on first opportunity. Customs and VAT will probably add something, but then again, hopefully I can find the most economic reseller. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And shipping. Shipping and VAT will add around ... $30 to the price of the set. *Sighs*

I probably will end up preordering it and getting it as soon as possible, it's just ... well, never mind.

(and yes, there are more important things out there than B5 DVDs).

[/quote]

Name five. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mid-November doesn't sound bad. I've assumed all along that their main goal was to get them out prior to Thanksgiving, so they're in the stores when the holiday buying season kicks off. Sooner would have been nice, but what the heck, I've waited this long. The extras are sounding better and better, and all indications are that Warner Bros. is going to do a decent job on this release - in that case I want them to take as much time as they think they need.

If you can't justify shelling out $100 in one month, put it on a credit card and take as long as you like to pay it off, if that makes you feel better. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I look at it this way - I'd rather spend $100 in one month for 22 episodes than spend $20 a month for almost a year picking up individual discs containing two episodes each. It would be more money going out at one shot, but less than half what the alternative would cost over time - and I wouldn't have to wait as long to sit down and have a B5 S1 marathon.

Regards,

Joe

kRIBU! IT ISN'T JUSTIFYING IT THAT MATTERS! when you work you have to allow yourself luxuries. I don't mean that you go out and buy all the crap that you can but enjoy the fruits of working. I know that my credit card is going to do some painful buying in a couple of months time! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color="yellow">"If you can't justify shelling out $100 in one month, put it on a credit card and take as long as you like to pay it off, if that makes you feel better."</font color>

A lousy idea. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
First of all, my bank requires me to pay all credit by the 10th of the next month. Secondly, as I said, I have the money - there would be no point in paying more in interest on credit even if I had a different type of credit card where I could pay over a longer period.

$100 - or $125-$130 with the shipping and VAT - is a lot of money in some parts of the world. This is where the importance factor kicks in - how about paying bills, getting a new stove that actually works, getting a chair that doesn't threaten to fall apart every time I sit down, or (what I consider most important to me at this point) using the money towards my eventual vacation and travelling somewhere. (And yes, I know that the rest of the world doesn't actually matter since the R1 set is meant for the Americans anyway.)

I'm not complaining, even though I suppose that's what this sounds like - I just said that I might not get it right away, due to the time when it's released. I guess I was hoping it would be more like $70-$80 or so (especially with stuff like the LOTR extended edition costing less than $30 for four discs, although I suppose that transfer and extras are less costly to put on DVD to begin with) - but I guess that can't be helped.

$100. If I save $5 a week, I'll have enough at mid-November to justify purchasing the B5 DVD and The Fellowship Of The Ring.

Frankly, if it gets to Blockbuster like the Farscape DVD's did, I'll rent first before buying. But I want those commentaries!!!

Lyta,

Thanks for the info. This just keeps getting better. Anamorphic Widescreen, Dolby 5.1, JMS commentaries, Cast and Crew commentaries, nice boxed set, it just doesnt get much better than that and is more that I would have hoped for. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The only negative I see is it being in November. Its not a negative from a marketing aspect, in fact I think it will help sales of the DVD being right before the Christmas Shopping Season. Its more of a personal thing. That means I have to wait until the cold Chicago winter is here to get it, and this summer that I am enjoying now will be gone. First time in a loooooong time I have had something in winter to look forward to. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I was hoping it would be less (though it might be - I mean, technically many places advertise the TNG DVDs at $130-$140 but they are offering a discount at around $100 - or even less ... never seen any place actually charge that much for them) but I had been planning $100 for the last few years. I also look at it as helping out the B5 community - the more people who buy early, the more likely WB will think there is a market for B5. Though I understand it could be expensive for those who are overseas and the DVD not yet (if ever) released there ... I'll probably buy it in the stores (usually find one or two places cheaper than online - at least if you count shipping and handling) unless I find a good online deal.

Oh, and another reason I'll shell out the $100 right away ... I've been waiting for this too damn long!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

It's so weird how season DVD sets can vary so much in price. I got the Buffy Season 2 DVD set for less than $50, & yet ST:TNG & X-Files go for over $100 a season. I can buy the B5 DVD set, but why the wide range in prices? I even saw a Sex & the City boxed-set at Wal-Mart for under $40! What gives?

Tammy

That means I have to wait until the cold Chicago winter is here to get it, and this summer that I am enjoying now will be gone. First time in a loooooong time I have had something in winter to look forward to.

[/quote]

As a fellow Chicago resident, I concur completely. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back