• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS on B5 DVDs

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
It's so weird how season DVD sets can vary so much in price. I got the Buffy Season 2 DVD set for less than $50, & yet ST:TNG & X-Files go for over $100 a season. I can buy the B5 DVD set, but why the wide range in prices? I even saw a Sex & the City boxed-set at Wal-Mart for under $40! What gives?

[/quote]

Buffy is an anomaly. I don't know if this represents a new lower price trend, or if there is just something weird with the fianancing/marketing going on there. (Maybe they think the set won't sell at a higher price point, and they're willing to take a smaller per-unit profit in order to sell the sets at all? Or maybe they think the potential audience is so huge that it makes more sense to cut the price and move more boxes.)

$100 is the ballpark figure for nearly all one-hour series with seasons in the 22-25 episode range. (Sex and the City isn't a fair comparison because it has far fewer episodes per season - 10 or 12 IIRC. Also it is a premium cable show, and therefore has a fraction of the fan base that a network, syndication or basic cable show has. Ditto The Sopranos.)

If the exchange rate stays favorable, I'll pre-order this one from a Canadian dealer, which will save me quite a bit. Also by the time the final package is assembled, Warner Bros. may still decide to come in at a slightly lower price to better compete with TNG and the other Christmas releases.

Regards,

Joe

YES! Hopefully I'll have my widescreen TV by then. Now I just have to sell the wife into letting me spend 100 dollars on "myself" so close to Xmas... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

$100 sure puts a dent in this college student's wallet. I sure hope I get that job at Hollywood Video, because I need money to start saving up!!

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Lyta but said by JMS: </font color>
On the DVDs, last I heard they'll be out around mid-November, with the whole first season at about a hundred bucks. I did the commentaries on Signs and Portents and Chrysalis, and an on-camera intro and interview. They've also done new interviews with Rick Biggs, Claudia, John Iacovelli, John Copeland, Stephen Furst, Jerry Doyle and others. So it should be a pretty big deal overall, much better than the movie dvd.

[/quote]

This keeps getting better and better. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

...except for the part about them demoloshing the B5 sets except for one piece, the B4 item up on eBay.

To borrow a line from Payback, "That's just mean."

If the exchange rate stays favorable, I'll pre-order this one from a Canadian dealer, which will save me quite a bit.

[/quote]

Joe, can you (or anyone) recommend a Canadian dealer from which to buy when the DVD comes out?

Canadian DVD dealers

Total Action Universe and DVD Box Office are two sites I've dealt with. They'll often have different prices on the same title, and which one is cheaper can vary from title to title. At various times both have offered special additional discounts for pre-orders. Here are the URLs:

http://www.totalactionuniverse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/

To use a current example, X-Files S5 is $149.99 (CDN) and $99.97 (USD) at DVD Box Office. Total Action is carrying it for $129.99 (CDN) and $80.29 (USD). Total Action is currently offering ST:TNG S4 (to be released September 4th) at $124.99 (CDN), which is $20.00 (CDN) off the price of the already-released sets. (You can pre-order S4 for $77.15 USD. S3 is selling for $149.99/$89.50)

Both sites seem to be running a free (ground) shipping offer at the moment, which makes them an even better deal. Usually takes about a week for me to receive a disc that ships on the official street date, but the savings definitely make the wait worthwhile. Also you can lock in the current exchange rate when you pre-order. (All U.S. prices are approximate since the exchange rate can flucuate on a daily or even hourly basis.)

Anyway, you can see the advantage for "big ticket" items like boxed sets. For single discs or impulse buys I'd rather support local retailers, or at least internet vendors in the U.S. (Or that was my policy when I was regularly buying DVDs, which I haven't done for nearly two years now. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) I don't (didn't) mind paying a few dollars more on single movie discs to get them sooner and support someplace like Digital Eyes, which has the best customer service in the business, but if I can save $20 or more on a $100 purchase, I'll do it.

Regards,

Joe

Re: Canadian DVD dealers

be sure to rip those f*ckers into avi
=)

agreed, I'm still buying them, no matter how much they cost, but it would be nice to also have them in .avi for the computer

As long as the ripping is done for the sole personal enjoyment by the ripper himself. We don't want to advocate piracy here, do we? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

GShans: get a DVD-ROM. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

got one, and yes, simply for the pleasure of watching it in the background while i'm working on my pc. and i would also like to make little clips and give them to my friend, like a minute here, a minute there, I'm trying to get my friend hooked on B5.

Also, i get into a lot of debates elsewhere, that could be solved by 30-40 seconds of show footage.

Latest from JMS

I'm still trying to figure out if this is some kind of gag, but here's his latest message about the interviews on the DVD:

One error. Apparently Claudia had agreed to do the interview, then canceled at the last minute.

jms

[/quote]

You'd think this would have happened with the season 5 set. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BTW, contrary to what some people read into it, I don't see where JMS said anything about the cast members named doing commentaries. The word he used was "interviews", which sounds more like on-camera Q&As than running commentaries on episodes.

Regards,

Joe

Re: Latest from JMS

when i see this thread title i keep thinking of that commercial "Mr Yoshida on vegetables" and it has Mr Yoshida actually on the vegetables. I keep seeing JMS laying on the DVDs. I guess i'm just weird.

I read his following replies to that Joe, and he maintains it isnt a joke. Boy, get the feeling (not that it matters much really) that Claudia Christian has really burned her bridges with JMS?

I read his following replies to that Joe, and he maintains it isnt a joke.

[/quote]

Didn't really think it was; left out a smiley at the end of that line. That is not a joke he would make. But it does almost read like one, all things considered. Of course, we don't know why she cancelled. For all we know she's in that 20-person occupancy bed in the wine cellar with the flu or something. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I do know that she also cancelled a convention appearance earlier in the month. Maybe she was sick and had a relapse.

Or maybe she just changed her mind.

Pity. Maybe she'll be available for S2.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back