• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS and his decision

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
*sigh*

Graduate school. Someday, oh, someday. I'll walk across the stage and get that M.A. It's a goal of mine. But I have to find some way to pay...
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or make it in a country where you don't have to pay....

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

Let's not talk about graduate school. I was beaten out for a very important grant (for those who have been keeping up on that saga, yeah, it's the same one I've been talking about for months) that would have allowed me to do exactly that in Australia. I'm rather depressed about it.

So, how about them Rangers?
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

I still think he missed out (or may miss out) on a great concept. In "In The Beginning" Lenonn said that all of the Anla'Shok was old and tired now. That immedietly perked my interest. A group of kick-ass Minbari warrior-priests working like a police force and yet still older than my grandfather. It would've been tricky as hell to execute, the sheer concept is cool.

But in the end, b5lr is still great.

------------------
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning... even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there.

-Leonard Shelby (aka Guy Pearce) from Memento

Coming in late to the discussion as always... well, I saw no problems with the age of the cast. If the people are right for the job (meaning both the actors and the characters here), then age is irrelevant.

Besides, young people can (generally) change even more than older ones, so that should make for some interesting character development in the if/when series.
cool.gif

And your list was very good, Channe. I even recognized myself in some of those points.
tongue.gif

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
*sigh*

Graduate school. Someday, oh, someday. I'll walk across the stage and get that M.A. It's a goal of mine. But I have to find some way to pay...
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't you get hired as a teaching assistant or a research assistant? The hard part about funding my education was getting my B.S. degree. My mother couldn’t afford to put myself and my sister and brother through college, so we had to get through on our own. I couldn’t (or didn’t know how) to get grants, so I had to get through on student loans.

As a graduate student in math, however, I became a teaching assistant. The includes a small (very small) salary, but the really key is the TUITION WAIVER.

I don’t think all schools do this, but many if not most do.

Anyhow, it’s worth looking into.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Irmo:
Nah....depends on what you are doing...for graduate students, it's "We live for the mentor, we die for the mentor." Weekends aren't part of the equation. And neither are holidays.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, I'm reading this while trying to write my dissertation proposal, and wondering where whatever command I once had of the English language has vanished to.

See, there I go, ending sentences with prepositions. Gah.

If the little voice in my head that suggested I go for a Ph.D. in philosophy ever rears its ugly head again, I'm giving it such a slap.

But to try and return to the topic, I think the cast and approach are a nice change of pace. It's a little ironic that some of these characters seem more fully-formed right out of the gate than their older B5 predecessors, actually. It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the universe around them

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emfeeli:
So, now that the movie has aired, and everyone has vented their frustrations and the like, it's time we answered a question we were all asking from day one:

Was JMS correct when casting a younger crew?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[Kosh 1] Yes. [/Kosh 1]

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I'm in my late 30s, & I really like the Rangers cast. I usually don't like "twentysomething" shows, but I think Rangers would be a good series.

Warren, whatever you do, don't say "eep"!

Let's see if anyone knows what I'm referring to!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------
Tirk: Citizen G'Kar, Captain Martell would like to speak to you.
G'Kar: Of course. Love to stay. Can't. Have to go. Kiss-kiss. Love-love. Bye.

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

As to the characters:
It is really all about the writing. If you have a good story to tell about interesting characters then you're golden. At that point it doesn't matter whether those characters are old, young, or in the middle doesn't matter. It's all good.

As to the actors:
It's really just all about talent. You just get the best people available who fit into those interesting characters that I mentioned above.
cool.gif
smile.gif

And sometimes when casting a series talent even trumps the original concept for the character (see Claudia Black in Farscape).

------------------

Claudia Black is one of the reasons I watch Farscape religiously.

She is just fantastic. Absolutely, completely fantastic. In the media-SF field, at least, she's on that VERY short list of people who have *so completely* become their characters that you forget it's an actress, that you forget that there's no Aeryn Sun and no Moya and no Peacekeepers and no Uncharted Territories. She's just great.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

Am I the only one who finds this thread ironic or odd? Casting younger people is the common practice, not the exception. If anything, it is the "safe" way to go.

Besides, people are already complaining that there are too many similarities between Rangers and B5. Then again, they are also complaining that there aren't enough.

crazy.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

You don't like it? Make your own universe then.

That's funny.
laugh.gif
Every so often that JMS will sneak a funny like that in on us.
laugh.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:
No comment on the no comment!

BTW-"No comment"...sorry...

Cheers! -Warren-
tongue.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
crazy.gif
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, Warren, I did not read here a "go" for a series. I did even less than read and you said nothing...

------------------

[This message has been edited by GermanSinclair (edited February 08, 2002).]

It seems the public has spoken and they love the younger cast. I'm going to have to agree with you guys. Its a different show, with a different perspective than B5. A young crew should have younger actors. Makes sense to me.

What my original question was supposed to address was more on the atmosphere of the show, which I see now was also a pretty dumb question. Its an action oriented show, with new recruits. This pretty much adds up to younger cast.

With a younger cast, I've finally realized that these guys aren't going to be fleet commanders or making ISA level government changes. I'm really wishing on a star for a series so I can see a totally different angle in the B5 universe. I really want to see the chars. grow! That was prob. the most rewarding thing about watching five years of B5.

BTW: I loved the cast of B5lr so no hard feelings there Warren!

Phil

------------------
"And that, Mollari, is why it will not be your people, or mine, or the Gaim, or the Drazi or the Vorlons or the Shadows who in the end will stand astride the galaxy like giants. It will be the humans."
"I think you are the one who is mad, G'kar," Londo said. "I can choose just as well as the humans. I can choose to stay in this cell, with you, or I can choose to leave."
"Yes, but can you choose for there not to be a cell at all?"
"I don't understand," Londo said.
"Exactly," G'kar said. "Exactly."

I, too, would like to see some of these "older rangers" that must still be out there. They could make some great guest spots. But I don't mind at all a younger cast. It even makes sense, this is the (pardon me, ST haters) the "next generation" of the Rangers, with a greater variety of characters, races, etc.

Just like some years classes are smaller, some years they are huge. I just get the feel that the Rangers just had a large influx of volunteers in more recent years/months.

And it is a way to contrast Rangers from B5. And yes, I agree, it affords even more opportunity for interesting character developments, I'd think.

At least some of my greatest personal growth was at about that age. A Ranger's first ship might be a bit like graduate school. Or an internship.
wink.gif

It's the time of life to live through your most embarrassing memories!
shocked.gif
lol.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Warren, whatever you do, don't say "eep"!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMS isn't even allowed to say "EEP!" anymore.
The suits eventually figured it out the last time.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

The show would be about a ship full of Rangers. A ship full of Rangers would be young, especially considering how many promotions become available when you fight a couple of wars.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back