• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS and his decision

Emfeeli

Regular
So, now that the movie has aired, and everyone has vented their frustrations and the like, it's time we answered a question we were all asking from day one:

Was JMS correct when casting a younger crew?

Granted, this can't be answered fully, because there is no series, and therefor we have not seen the characters go through changes, background checks and ect. But using your imaginations, if there is a series, do you see the younger actors having the same effect on you as the orignal B5 cast? In no way is this putting down the actors of B5Lr. I just feel that the age of actors can give a show a much different feel.

B5: Older actors--more serious and melodramatic feel. But then again they were playing ambassadors.

B5lr: Young, hip crew. Warriors, and new recruits. Makes sense. But would it work as a five year series? Hmmmm.

------------------
"And that, Mollari, is why it will not be your people, or mine, or the Gaim, or the Drazi or the Vorlons or the Shadows who in the end will stand astride the galaxy like giants. It will be the humans."
"I think you are the one who is mad, G'kar," Londo said. "I can choose just as well as the humans. I can choose to stay in this cell, with you, or I can choose to leave."
"Yes, but can you choose for there not to be a cell at all?"
"I don't understand," Londo said.
"Exactly," G'kar said. "Exactly."

I think it just might work. Younger actors would make for more action, and probably a younger audience.

I personally think the cast was great and that they did an excellent job. I like the characters, and I think they were well played. I see nothing wrong with having a younger cast, and I think that if it went to series that the age think wouldn't be that much of a factor.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emfeeli:
B5lr: Young, hip crew. Warriors, and new recruits. Makes sense. But would it work as a five year series? Hmmmm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would certainly work if the series was about a young crew.

A young cast seems to work for Buffy the Vampire Slayer (a show in its sixth year, I think?), because it's a show about young people.

I'm not sure I understand the point you're driving at.
crazy.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

Hell YES. Of course he was right.

The following is not an attack. It is simply commentary.
smile.gif

Life doesn't start at forty. Life starts at negative nine months, and it doesn't end until whenever your body stops working. Life happens when you're twenty-seven, early thirties, as many of these characters are.

If you are engaged in life you are engaged in drama. Period. Doesn't matter when you're engaged in it.

Okay. So they don't have the weight of the world on their shoulders yet. They're not ambassadors or leaders of a great rebellion. It doesn't mean that they are any less involved in life - and the drama, problems, joys, ecstasies, and intrigues that come with it - than a person in their forties, fifties, or sixties.

I'm somewhere in the first half of my twenties. The cast, and the characters, appealed to me very much, and I think they'll do just fine confronting problems in a series. Maybe that's just because I'm young, and the telemovie was admittedly targeted to bring in a young audience as well as the established B5 fan.

We also have opportunities to explore things that exist more in young lives than older lives. Their problems will be different than Sheridan's, Londo's, G'Kar's, Bester's.

And it's going to be great.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

Presuming they're all there for all five years... we know JMS can get trigger happy.
smile.gif

As someone just mentioned, a young cast (I think younger that what B5LR got) is what powers Buffy, and that show is quality in spades.

A younger cast will make them more action oriented, yup... but also more reactionary too, I think. And you can tug that any way you like in TV show, for action or for drama. I think in the end it'll be less heavy than B5 was, but no less dramatic or watchable.

EDIT - *sigh* Pretty much every single thing Channe said.

Oh, BTW, Hi, New, initiate rituals and all that.

------------------
Radhil Trebors
Persona Under Construction

[This message has been edited by Radhil (edited February 07, 2002).]

Well said channe!
smile.gif

**applauds**

I am in my early 30's and the characters still appealed to me. Maybe that is because I am not that much older than they are. Whatever the case, I don't see a younger cast as being a problem at all.
smile.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

Hey there...

I just wanted to say that "Babylon 5:The Legend of the Rangers" is about a group of individuals (Ranger recruits) just starting out in their careers...and all the fascinating elements that will take place and affect their jobs, their lives...and how they (as younger adults) will react and deal in these situations...be it life...or death situations, solving problems, etc.

Learning the ropes so to speak...although, we are constantly faced with learning on a daily basis regardless of age..."when a person decides to stop learning...a person decides to stop living..."

The show will explore this aspect, which is obvious with the younger casting decision.

I remember "JMS" explaining his choice/decision about using a younger cast for the series in an interview last year.

The show is definitely geared towards action/adventure with underlying drama opposed to the original "Babylon 5", consisting of drama, with underlying action/adventure.

Just my 2 cents...Thanks!

Cheers! -Warren-

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radhil:

As someone just mentioned, a young cast (I think younger that what B5LR got) is what powers Buffy, and that show is quality in spades.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is however also very specialized in its target audience. There's plenty of people who, while not hating Buffy as a show, just don't warm up to it. (While there are exceptions, anecdotes don't refute the rule
wink.gif
) The appeal isn't quite as broad, the humorous parts are certainly far from my cup of tea. It's a sword with a whole lot of edges, and while it is nice to bring in a new audience on one end, one has to be sure that you don't lose more people on the other. Appealing to a younger audience gets dangerous when it starts bordering on appearing "immature" for an older one.

So far, I think, they did a good job with B5LR. Now let me see more so I see in which direction it is going
wink.gif

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:
The show will explore this aspect, which is obvious with the younger casting decision.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Will explore"?

Just positive thinking, or do you know something we don't?
wink.gif

Always good to hear from you Warren!

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:

I just wanted to say that "Babylon 5:The Legend of the Rangers" is about a group of individuals (Ranger recruits) just starting out in their careers...and all the fascinating elements that will take place and affect their jobs, their lives...and how they (as younger adults) will react and deal in these situations...be it life...or death situations, solving problems, etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why the show appeals to me so much. That's me in that description up there! Gee - how did JMS know? :p

Except I doubt I'll be making any life-or-death decisions of the Martel sort.
smile.gif

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taichidave:
"Will explore"?

Just positive thinking, or do you know something we don't?
wink.gif

Always good to hear from you Warren!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No comment...LOL!

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif
wink.gif

------------------

No worries, Warren.
smile.gif

Now...

TOP TEN REASONS TWENTYSOMETHINGS WILL FLOCK TO A RANGERS SERIES:

1) We're all searching for something. Namely, next month's rent payment. Talk about a desperate crusade.

2) We're usually "just glad to be here" in today's job market.

3) We'd most likely behave like Malcolm if we were caught in the act by someone like G'Kar, too.

4) Given a chance, we can work the miraculous (right, Na'feel?)

5) Our refrain: "It isn't fair!"

6) None of us are exactly what we seem.

7) We make one mistake and the guy in the next cubicle gets the promotion.

8) Minefield? No problem. See you on the other side of hell.

9) We live for the weekend, we die for the weekend. (And then, we get unexpected, last-minute company in the form of parents or in-laws...)

10) We're still young enough that we can get away with solving problems by hitting them.

------------------

Warren, you are beginning to sound like a Vorlon
laugh.gif

Didn't they all go beyond the Rim
smile.gif

Here is hoping for the best!!!

Cerberus

------------------

*sweeping bow*

Thank you, thank you... and now, I have to go pick up my Pulitzer...

laugh.gif

EDIT: I can't believe I said "now" twice. Eek!

------------------

[This message has been edited by channe (edited February 07, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
No worries, Warren.
smile.gif

9) We live for the weekend, we die for the weekend. (And then, we get unexpected, last-minute company in the form of parents or in-laws...)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah....depends on what you are doing...for graduate students, it's "We live for the mentor, we die for the mentor." Weekends aren't part of the equation. And neither are holidays.....

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

so we wont see any kegs and frat parties if they make a series?
frown.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back