• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

If Rangers fails...what is the future of B5?

Crazybillyo - the next Lorien?!
laugh.gif

Hmm... I'll be disappointed if this fails (why should it?) but it's not the end of the world... after all, six months ago I didn't even think that the B5 universe could be brought alive again!

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

If Rangers will fill and it's possible
frown.gif
(becasue I have read the newest review), than we need new Great Maker of B5. JMS may be fails.

------------------

I don't know, MO, I'd be hesitant to judge any piece of work from the review of one critic. Some people will hate anything JMS put out. ANYTHING. So keep that in mind before dismissing a product that won't yet be aired for months.

Besides, if this review is anything like the last one, the reviewer is practically illiterate. The last review looked like it was scribbled together by a 5th-grader. If you are really that bad at writing, perhaps good writing offends you.
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Well, it was better written than the previous review, from what I can remember. And the guy seemed to know quite a bit about B5 - and like it - but then, he found Crusade worse than Rangers.

I liked Crusade. If Rangers is better than Crusade, then I'm still very much the optimist (with just this little streak of caution thrown in).
smile.gif

------------------

That's a good attitude to take, Kribu. I know I'm a little afraid of building it up in my mind too much, that always leads to disappointment.
frown.gif

I think that's what took me awhile to warm to "Enterprise". I was just expecting too much immediately, especially when I found out who the captain was going to be. Now, I never caught much of "Quantum Leap". But I think he acted well in it, what I saw of it at least. Anyhow, I'm warming to it now, but I think I ws just expecting too much at first.

Dont' want to make the same mistake with "Rangers", so a few bad reviews are fine with me!
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Yes, as long as there aren't too many bad reviews.
smile.gif

While I doubt that the reviews themselves could affect SciFi's decision on whether to turn Rangers into a series or not, too many downright negative reviews might very well turn off many of the potential viewers.

Bad reviews -> few viewers -> no series.
shocked.gif

(Well, perhaps not necessarily. But the negativism isn't going to help, either.)

------------------

hypatia: May be, you are right, but if some of the points in the review are right, that we have to think about it. If reviewer has written that many things are different and may be he is right, we have to ask ourselfs our ask JMS, why are things we know for many years different.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
If Rangers will fill and it's possible
frown.gif
(becasue I have read the newest review), than we need new Great Maker of B5. JMS may be fails.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a little concerned about this statement. If Rangers doesn't do well, and B5 is done, then that'll be sad. But we can't get a "new Great Maker of B5".

It's like Star Wars and Star Trek. We may not like some of the things done with our FAVORITE shows, but they're just our FAVORITE shows. We do not in any way, shape, or form own them. We have no more right to say that someone new needs to start writing B5 than we do to say that someone needs to take X-Files away from Chris Carter (that is right, right?
laugh.gif
) or the X-Men away from Marvel. If JMS says, "Oh, well, I tried" - then it's over and done. Period.

Personally, I'd rather keep confident, because I love the universe, but, hey, there's always the tapes...

------------------

Ya know, for a fan site, you folks are pretty damn pessimistic.

Ok, so here's the two things I see the most on these boards:

1) JMS is the Great Maker. He's a genius. His creation, Babylon 5, is the greatest thing in the world after breasts. I want to have JMS' children.

2) Rangers will totally suck ass. JMS forgot how to write a line of dialogue, and nothing new from him will be decent, but I'll force myself to sit through that rubbish because I'm a "loyal fan."

Can somebody please explain this crap to me? Why can't y'all just sit down with a bag of popcorn and watch the motherf***in' thing when it's on TV and that's it?

Some people won't be satisfied with it unless it cures their cold and tells them the meaning of life.

Now, ya can't get more Cynical and pessimistic than the mighty GKarsEye, trust me on that one. So if I'm telling you folks to lighten up, something's wrong.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Wyvern: If JMS says, "Oh, well, I tried" - then it's over and done.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? I love the B5 universe as well as you and when JMS will not succesed with his new vision for B5 universe, why to give up?

There are many undiscovered things in B5 universe and some else can create many other new ones, better, why to give up?

------------------

GKarsEye: Such a nice warm words.
laugh.gif

blush.gif
laugh.gif

I can tell you, whats wrong. We all love B5. We want the next show. But we want the more or less the same some. Not so different, no the same. So, we all don't know, what we want.

Everybody wants something else, but JMS wants money and he choosed the story which, he believes, can bring him as much money as it is possible. (Very pesimistic point of view
smile.gif
)

So the point. May be the history repeats itself. TNG,DS9,VOY vs. TOS, SWI vs. SW Trilogy and now B5LR vs. B5.
We will see...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
There are many undiscovered things in B5 universe and some else can create many other new ones, better, why to give up?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess because B5 universe is JMS' vision, it's his "child" - he created it, he made it seem alive to us, he knows the players and playing grounds far better than anyone - even the most dedicated fan - else would know.

Yes, I'm sure that others could create great stories in the universe - but I for one am not sure that it would have quite the same feel.

BTW, I don't count myself as a pessimist. I am still quite optimistic that I will like the movie - from what I've seen/read myself so far, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I am a little worried about the possibility of a series though. Let's just hope that there won't be many more such negative reviews (hmm... unless they've got good reason to be! :eek
smile.gif
because every one of them, no matter how stupid they may seem to us, may turn off potential new viewers, i.e. have a negative effect on the ratings.

------------------

But we want the more or less the same some. Not so different, no the same.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I loved B5. It was a great show. But for me, that particular great show is over.

To be frank, I don't want another B5 - or not necessarily even something very similar to it. It will be the same universe, that's good enough for me - what I want (in case anyone cares!
laugh.gif
) is a new good story in that universe.

It can be different - I don't mind, I'd even prefer it to be different. If I want B5, I can watch a tape.
smile.gif

------------------

Kribu:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I guess because B5 universe is JMS' vision, it's his "child" - he created it, he made it seem alive to us, he knows the players and playing grounds far better than anyone - even the most dedicated fan - else would know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your point. But what about the child is dying. Can someone help to father with the child? Someone who father will choose, someone who can boost moralle for the child and that so with some possibility save the child.

------------------

I have not seen this bad review that everyone is talking about. However, I read a glowing review about Enterprise which didn't live up to my high expectations. Since the Rangers movie won't be available for another 10 weeks it seems pointless to be worrying about whether or not we will like B5LR.

As to what will become of B5 if Rangers doesn't succeed. I have to admit I don't really care if we are not going to have stories about the original cast, Sheridan, Ivanova, Londo, G'kar and Delenn. If the stories don't include those people then it might as well be about anything. That is the B5 universe I am interested in.
smile.gif

I'm quite sure JMS will be working on something, somewhere, and it will be good. For instance the series Jeremiah is currently filming and will start showing in mid January. I don't know which network has scheduled it, but it's bound to turn up somewhere.
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I don't want to live forever. I just want them teaching my novels in English classes until the end of time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Channe,
I'm sure you're going to get your wish - if something as wretched as Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure is still being rammed down students throats, I am sure you'll write something better. Heck, I write something better everytime I write a grocery list....

------------------
-Devin Barber

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Hi, RW. How have you been? Anyhow, I know that some shows move from tv station to tv station. Most die but some survive. (Wasn't Buffy or Angel or something sold to another network? Our own beloved B5 I know was.)

I get the impression that SciFi has a LOT on its plate for 2002. Perhaps they are afraid of overextending themselves too early.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypatia, thanks for asking. I was sick, had bronchitis, an upper respiratory infection and an ear infection for about a month, but am feeling better now. I tust that you are fine as well.

I wanted to comment on what you said about Scifi not wanting to "over-extend" itself. I can understand their reluctance to go hog wild with LotR right now. It hasn't aired yet, and will not for a few months yet so it might be a little early to go out on a limb and commission a series now. They might want to wait to see what ratings the movie garners before they decide to add another series to their lineup. If they already have a full plate now, they might want to wait and see if there is a series that is not doing as well that they can replace with Rangers. But whatever the case may be, I still think it would be wise for them to give Rangers a shot.

------------------
RW, the salad ambassador. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

Jomar - we feel this way because we don't know David, Sarah, Dulann, Kitaro, and the others. I'm sure by the end of the film that yes, we will care. We'll want to see where their lives take them.

It's sort of like meeting a new friend. You didn't care about her before, because you didn't know she existed. All of a sudden, you do care that she fails that test...

--

jaxb5ranger- I'm glad to say that I never heard of that.

Literature is very subjective. For example, I absolutely adore Faulkner's novel "As I Lay Dying."

My best friend thinks I'm nuts.

I just like going through and listening to Darl. Tell me that this isn't Forever literature: "How do our lives ravel out into the no-wind, no-sound, the weary gestures wearily recapitulant: echoes of old compulsions with no-hand on no-strings: in sunset we fall into furious attitudes, dead gestures of dolls."

This from the author that says words can't express anything... words don't mean anything.

But I'm getting off-topic.

------------------
Ranger Channe, the next JMS, who walks in the dark places no one may enter, lives for the One, and dies for the chocolate cheesecake.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orac:
With Sci-Fi suits using words such as 'maybe' and 'could' (meaning that even if Rangers got a 3.0 rating, they can still turn around and so no), what will become of B5?
After the problems with TNT, this must be the last chance. Questions is, if Rangers fails, we will end up with more unanswered plot questions and I'm still interested in finding out what would have appeared in Crusade.

Should JMS write a Crusade/Rangers trilogy of novels so that we get those questions answered, if Sci-Fi do what I think they will do?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"If Rangers fails..."

A. Don't even SAY that.

B. I drop Sci-Fi, and save ~$23/month.

Hopefully, it'd be told in Book form, but I doubt it. I think we fans would just be SOL.
frown.gif

BTW, JMS wouldn't write the novels. He'd just write some outlines for Jeanne Cavelos of Peter David to flesh out, but like I said, I don't see that happening.

Yes, the non-committal types at Sci-Fi bug me too.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
I was thinking about the casual viewers - the ones who may have a mild interest in watching the movie but want to get someone's opinion first, to decide if it's worth their time (and don't tell me there aren't people like that around!). Can they tell that the reviewer has an agenda - or will they just think the movie will suck, and not watch?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They'll just think the movie will suck, and not watch. Bad reviews could hurt the ratings by keeping newbies away. This is why out grassroots support of B5/Crusade/B5:LotR is so important.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back