• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

If Rangers fails...what is the future of B5?

And that is exactly what I wanted to point out earlier.
smile.gif

Aarrgghh... I hate it that I can't even do anything to help the ratings!! I can't even watch the thing - or tell any of my friends to watch it!!
mad.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
And that is exactly what I wanted to point out earlier.
smile.gif

Aarrgghh... I hate it that I can't even do anything to help the ratings!! I can't even watch the thing - or tell any of my friends to watch it!!
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't even get my freakin picture to show up. (Yes, it IS selected.)

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
I can't even get my freakin picture to show up. (Yes, it IS selected.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But ... you're Kosh. Isn't that expected?
wink.gif

------------------
"I usually think about you in summer."
"I think about you in the fall."
"We never could agree on anything."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimmy:

But ... you're Kosh. Isn't that expected?
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since there is no longer a Kosh Naranek picture
frown.gif
(a real crime), I switched to the Galen picture, but may switch to the Max picture.

I liked the previous Galen picture a lot more than the current one. However, the Max picture is cool. Oh, what's it matter anyway? No picture I select actually shows up. Just "imagine" the old Kosh picture.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>but JMS wants money and he choosed the story which, he believes, can bring him as much money as it is possible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you just proved that you know nothing about JMS.

He has a History of Walking Away from the money when more important things, like Principle and Integrity, are at stake.

That's why he pulled the plug on Crusade. He refused to sacrifice the Integrity of the story to the Suited MBAs at TNT.
If he'd stayed, he stood to make LOTS of money.
He had a "Showrunner" contract. Absolute control over the series.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
but JMS wants money and he choosed the story which, he believes, can bring him as much money as it is possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Um.. Sorry, but if jms chose the job that'd give him as much money as possible, he'd never created B5. He'd have stayed on Murder She Wrote where he was gettin more money for much less work.

He also wouldn't have gone on to do Crusade, since it'd pay poorly in comparison to a network show. Then he wouldn't have written any comics, since they're pure pocket change to him. And he would never have wasted time on Rangers, since, again, it's a basic cable show. Jeremiah will be much more lucrative for him, since Showtime uses a network pay scale.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Why it wasn't on already, and why LotR isn't already greenlighted and in production, I don't freakin know.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's likely do to the drop in advertising revenue Alyson mentioned in the chat, combined with WB's and SciFi's differing veiws on licencing fees.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

The future of B5?

There is at least one exact reply: it is what we make it be.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
Kribu:
I understand your point. But what about the child is dying. Can someone help to father with the child? Someone who father will choose, someone who can boost moralle for the child and that so with some possibility save the child.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way I'm understanding it, MOmega, is that you're looking it at one of two ways:

1) That JMS hands off control of the B5 universe to someone else. Why would he? I mean, from your previous statements, you think that JMS is failing us (at least I think that's what you were saying, I think there might be a language barrier in action here...
frown.gif
)

Imagine for a moment that you had spent your entire life planning this great storyline. You had a huge success, a major downfall, and now you've tried again... and it doesn't pan out. Why would you want to hand that universe over to someone else? This is an individual's intellectual property at this point; it's partially owned by Warner Brothers, but it's mostly owned by Babylonian Productions - more commonly known as JMS.
smile.gif

If you had spent this much time working on the story, and you think that the story can continue, then you're going to want to continue the story. And there's no reason - and nothing the fans can say - to make that change.

Which is good, because I'm not sure that a Season 6 of the original story would have been a good idea... no matter what Mr. Boxleitner wanted.
smile.gif
)

(Incidentally, if you search for the name "Bruce" on IMDB, Bruce Boxleitner doesn't show up! I think we should all log onto IMDB and force him back up in the ranks.
smile.gif
)

2) That we, for the good of the B5 universe, should simply take the storyline away from him.

Hopefully, I'm completely misunderstanding this one, because this would simply Not Be A Good Idea. The best that we could possibly do without an "official blessing" would be fanfic... and, frankly, while I have read some durn fine fanfic in my time, I have never once read fanific that could match the original. We could try and do fanfilms, and maybe even successfully to an extent - until Warner Brothers comes over and sues us for copywright infringement. We couldn't get the "RIGHTS" to do anything in that universe fully without Babylonian Production's approval, and... well, welcome to recursive discussions.

It's not a question of what we want - it simply comes down to the fact that, if JMS wants to continue in the B5 universe, JMS will be the one to continue in that universe. If he decides it's not worth it... then it's over.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Ya know, for a fan site, you folks are pretty damn pessimistic.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be that like Dureena, we've become accustomed to disappointment, both in the B5 stuff being killed off (Crusade on TNT, B5/Crusade Magazine, B5-Into the Fire video game, Amazing Stories magazine, the Official Fan Club, the Laserdisc and VHS releases, etc.), the B5 widescreen screwups on Sci-Fi, the lack of good stuff and abundance of crap on Sci-Fi, the waffling of WHV w.r.t. B5 DVDs, and the waffling of Sci-Fi w.r.t. Crusade and B5:LotR.

After all that's happened to B5/Crusade in last two years, I am also VERY hesitant to get my hopes up at all. Instead, I assume everything will go straight to Hell, and then if it either doesn't happen, or only goes to Heck (a Dilbert reference), I'm pleasently surprised.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Ok, so here's the two things I see the most on these boards:

1) JMS is the Great Maker. He's a genius. His creation, Babylon 5, is the greatest thing in the world after breasts. I want to have JMS' children.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If JMS is reading, I bet he got a chuckle out of that one.
smile.gif

2) Rangers will totally suck ass. JMS forgot how to write a line of dialogue, and nothing new from him will be decent, but I'll force myself to sit through that rubbish because I'm a "loyal fan."

Can somebody please explain this crap to me? Why can't y'all just sit down with a bag of popcorn and watch the motherf***in' thing when it's on TV and that's it?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We will, if and when it ever airs. Why it wasn't on already, and why LotR isn't already greenlighted and in production, I don't freakin know. Are they trying to age it before they uncork the thing? JMS has said he could handle both Jeremiah and B5:LotR at the same time.

Now, ya can't get more Cynical and pessimistic than the mighty GKarsEye, trust me on that one. So if I'm telling you folks to lighten up, something's wrong.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naah, you're an optimist.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:

Let's just hope that there won't be many more such negative reviews (hmm... unless they've got good reason to be! :eek
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then if a bunch of Trekkie fanatics want to sink all things B5, all they have to do is bad mouth B5:LotR? No. You have to see if the reviewer has an obvious agenda (e.g. an anti-B5 bias).

Personally, I'm not going to read any reviews, so I can watch To Live and Die in Starlight unawares.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

You have to see if the reviewer has an obvious agenda (e.g. an anti-B5 bias).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes - I can see the agenda (and besides, I don't care - I'm going to watch it anyway, if/once it becomes possible over here, and make up my own mind). You can see the agenda. Most B5 fans can probably see the agenda.

I was thinking about the casual viewers - the ones who may have a mild interest in watching the movie but want to get someone's opinion first, to decide if it's worth their time (and don't tell me there aren't people like that around!). Can they tell that the reviewer has an agenda - or will they just think the movie will suck, and not watch?

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back