• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

I Miss Talia

vacantlook

Super Moderator
I just watched "Mind War" again. It seems that every time I watch either it or "A Race Through Dark Places" I come away wishing Talia's personality hadn't been destroyed by the completion of the Control personality project in "Divided Loyalties." I wonder if Bester was actually telling the truth when he "slipped" and said Talia had been disected in front of Garibaldi in "Dust To Dust," or if it was just a bait to try to get past the Minbari telepaths. I wonder if jms has ever thought of any story ideas about reviving the Talia character or if he considers her entire part in the world of Babylon 5 to be complete. I imagine that if Control was ever expunged and Talia restored that she would be considerably pissed at the PsiCorps.

*sigh*

"Mind War" and "A Race Through Dark Places" just cause me to considerably miss Talia!

:(

I couldn't stand Talia. She reminded me of Troy of ST. She didn't seem like she could take care of herself. At least her new evil personality had some strength of will in her. :p

I was pretty pissed when I saw Talia's exit for the first time. I didn't have any problems with her. If she'd stayed we might have been able to see some more Ivanova/Winters action, although I'm sure that what we did see was only put in at that time because Thompson was leaving the show. If she'd stayed on I don't think we would have seen that type of relationship between the two for a little way down the road.

I was never overly fond of Lyta. I don't know what it was, but I never really liked the character a whole lot. I wish they would have found some way to show what really ended up happening with Talia. I don't read the books so I don't know if anything is ever mentioned there. My hope is that she'll appear in the Telepath War somewhere, when and if that ever gets shown.

LOL Nancy. Troi is one of my favorite Trek characters, interestingly enough. I'm not too fond of her in the first season of TNG, but as the show went along, I came to like her considerably. I loved the episode where the ship got hit by some thing in space that suddenly shut down most of the ship and Troi was the higest ranking officer on the Bridge and she and O'Brien and Ro had to come up with a way to help the crew survive. I also loved the episode where Troi was abducted by the Romulans and forced to assume a Romulan alias in order to help some Romulan defect.

I really would have liked to have seen more on the Talia/Ivanova relationship also. Granted, it would have had to end at some point for the Marcus/Ivanova kinda-relationship to occur, but it would have been interesting and provocative.

I never believed the Bester was telling the truth about Talia being dissected. Unfortunately I also don't think there is any way to restore "Talia 1.0", unless Kosh was thoughtful enough to leave his VCR recording of her personality behind. (I've always thought that this was created as a way of getting Talia back if Andrea hadn't quit the show.)

In the final volume of the Telepath Trilogy Garibaldi ponders Talia's fate. It is the 2270s and he's the enormously rich head of Edgars-Garibaldi, has influence at the IA and in EarthGov, and has seen his one-time nemesis, Psi Corps, destroyed. Yet for all his wealth and power he's never been able to find out what happened to Talia after she left B5 or uncover even a trace of her.

That's pretty ambiguous, but that's where JMS left it.

I think he was a little ticked off at Andrea and what he saw as her non-team-player attitude when she quit, and he was happy both to see her go and to arrange her exit in a way that made her ever returning very unlikely.

But things change over time, and it may be that Andrea's participation in the DVDs and her career since might make her (and therefore Talia) an asset to future B5 projects. (Thanks to the several years she put in on NYPD Blue, which is in heavy rotation on both TNT and Court TV, her brief but publicity-filled stint at Headline News and her recent appearances on 24, Andrea may have a higher industry and audience profile than anyone in the cast besides Bruce Boxleitner.)

It might be interesting, for instance, to have Talia show up in a Teep War story. :) Who knows? Thermo Teep Lyta may have been given either Kosh's data crystal or the information it contained and be able to restore Talia to her original personality. Or she might be able to do it all on her own thanks to her increased powers. (Maybe Talia 1.0 was merely supressed, not totally destroyed.) There are all kinds of possibilities there.

Regards,

Joe

I suppose it is possible she could show up somewhere in a Teep War movie/story. Even with those lines from the Psi-Corp trilogy JMS could still get away with it. He has always said that those books about about 80-90 percent cannon. So he could choose to ignore that brief period where Garibaldi is wondering about her fate and write it off as non-canon and do with her character what he wishes in the War. Possibility anyway, but probably unlikely. Who knows though. As you said other than Boxlitner she probably is the second most recognized star on the show so that may help things along.

He has always said that those books about about 80-90 percent cannon. So he could choose to ignore that brief period where Garibaldi is wondering about her fate and write it off as non-canon and do with her character what he wishes in the War.

He doesn't even need to do that much. As long as Garibaldi and Talia never meet in a Teep War story, and he's never in a position to know what happened to her, she can appear in the story and the Teep Trilogy doesn't get contradicted.

Regards,

Joe

We could have ourselves a nice Talia 2.0-Lyta showdown, with the two of them killing each other off, leaving no one the wiser.

Of course, I've always been fond of the Talia backup file theory, and somewhere on the Lurker's Guide JMS confirmed that Garibaldi did have a chance to talk to Kosh about the data crystal before Kosh died. So who knows?

I hope JMS clearls up the matter of what happened to Talia cause I don't believe a word of what Bester said in Dust to Dust he was just trying to get past the minbari teeps.If the new project is a teep war story having Talia show up would be great .

He doesn't even need to do that much. As long as Garibaldi and Talia never meet in a Teep War story, and he's never in a position to know what happened to her, she can appear in the story and the Teep Trilogy doesn't get contradicted.
True enough. She just can't really be seen by anyone Garibaldi knows or word would get back to him. But given the scope of the Telepath Crisis, I think that is easily doable.

She just can't really be seen by anyone Garibaldi knows or word would get back to him.

Well, I didn't want to get into specific story ideas, so stopped the previous post where I did. But let's just say that there are a couple of characters who Garibaldi knows who could see Talia but be dead before they'd have a chance to tell him about the meeting. ;)

Regards,

Joe

It might be interesting, for instance, to have Talia show up in a Teep War story. :) Who knows? Thermo Teep Lyta may have been given either Kosh's data crystal or the information it contained and be able to restore Talia to her original personality. Or she might be able to do it all on her own thanks to her increased powers. (Maybe Talia 1.0 was merely supressed, not totally destroyed.) There are all kinds of possibilities there.

Regards,

Joe

This is just what I was thinking. With the extra powers given to her by Jason Ironheart, Talia might be Psycorps best counter weapon to Lyta. Lyta might respond by going deep into Talia, and bringing back her own personality, and she winds up dead, fighting with Lyta, against Psycorps.

If Talia is still around she has a new name, otherwise finding her would be trivial. With a restored mind she may simply have kept her new name.

Talia could be working somewhere, in Psi Corps prison (she has a very nasty personality) or may have moved to the Psi World Lyta was looking for.

I could even see a story of Jason Ironheart returning and restoring Talia's real personality feasible. Maybe he could even do so and take her with him and that's why Garibaldi never found out what happened to her.

That sounds like an idea to me, VL! Jason was powerful, off the scale, like something you would want in a feature film.

I dunno. Ironheart's use at this point would be pretty much deus ex machina and I don't see JMS going for that sort of thing.

Ironheart was created for the sole purpose of starting Talia down the same road that Lyta had already been set up for in the pilot, but without repeating the Vorlon mind-scan. Then JMS got rid of him as quickly and as permanently as possible. As he himself said at the time, "I don't like characters that powerful running around the plot line." I can't imagine that JMS would ever bring him back, especially given that Ironheart could presumably end the Telepath War all by himself in about five seconds without giving Bester a chance to escape. Besides, if the point is to get Talia back in some manner there's really nothing that Ironheart can do that Lyta couldn't do just as plausibly.

Regards,

Joe

JOe, everything you said makes perfect sense, and you're probably right, BUT, we all know that Hollywood wants the biggest and the baddest, so, I would say that a one-shot for Jason, at the end of the Teep war just might be possible, even though not likely.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back