• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Have you fallen and cant get up???

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

i was just curious as to if anyone has ever been injured while filming Babylon 5 & Crusade???

------------------
I have always been here...

Here's me with the names again:
As for B5, I know that the actor who played Garibaldi seriously injured himself during the time-flash scene where he's defending the station. It was pointed out that if you look closely at that scene where Zack is helping him to the floor, his arm bends in ways "not intended by nature". But he insisted on finishing the scene. (There's that actor's adrenalyn high for you.)

In the "Purple Drazi/ Green Drazi" Claudia Christian (Ivanova) was going to escape on her own. But Claudia broke her foot just before, or something, so it turned into a Garibaldi rescue.

I dont' know about Crusade.

Why can't I remember the actor's name who played Mr. Garibaldi? He ran for office recently, this should be a cinch.
crazy.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Hypatia: Jerry Doyle.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

Thanks, I went to the Lurkers Guide and looked it up. I'm terrible with names!
blush.gif
blush.gif

------------------

So am I but after having seen the names on my TV screen for about 220 times I sort of remember them now.
tongue.gif

------------------

Just for fun, I'll attempt to name as many actors in B5 as I can and allow you to view my work.

John Sheridan - Bruce Boxleitner
Jeffrey Sinclair- Michael O'Hare (this one's easy 'cause it rhymes)
Michael Garibaldi - Jerry Doyle
Delenn - Mira Furlan
Susan Ivanova - Claudia Christian
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas
Londo Mollari - Peter Jurasik
Vir - Stephen Furst
Lennier - Bill Mumy
Elizabeth Lochley - Tracy Scoggins

Damn, I can't remember who plays Dr. Franklin. I was so close.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Dr Franklin - Richard Biggs.

------------------

i dont know if its just me... but i have to concentrate for something like 20 mins to remember the guys name who plays the doctor... i dont know if its his name or just that he doesnt have a huge part in B5... i mean he only goes on a white star one frelling time i think...

------------------
I have always been here...

I can even remember the names of people who played minor characters (William Forward- Refa, Worthman Crimmer- Cartagia, Wayne Alexander-Lorien, Sebastian, That Drazi from Intersections in real time', Joshua Cox- Corwin). Does this make me sad or am I not alone in this?

------------------
"Watch the Shadows, they move when you're not looking..."

I am humbled. (We need an icon for bowing respectfully.)

------------------

hypatia:

Jerry Doyle broke his wrist and his arm (two different falls when the same stuntman screwed up in two consecutive takes) while filming "Severed Dreams", not "Babylon Squared." (Garibaldi's timeflash was filmed for "B2" and the some of the footage reused - I think - in "WWE." The character of Zack hadn't even been introduced in S1.) It was the scene where the Narn charge ahead of security to engage Clark's troops, who boarded the station via a breaching pod.

Doyle also got a little carried away when filming the flashback where he is imprisoned in the round room during Garibaldi's "missing time." In one take when he ripped off the arm of the metal chair that he would use to smash the lights, he hit himself in the groin with it.
smile.gif

Claudia Christian wasn't hurt on-set. She had an accident while gardening and broke her foot one Sunday. JMS had to rewrite the episode so that Garibaldi rescues Ivanova, because Christian wasn't up to doing the stunts involved in the original version - where Ivanova escaped on her own. For all the scenes prior to the fight in the council room where "Susan" breaks her foot, Claudia was walking around on her broken foot with a cast under her boot.

Richard Biggs was never hurt on-set that I know of, but he did send a stuntman to the hospital. I'm pretty sure this happened in "Between the Darkness and the Light", when Franklin, Lyta and Garibaldi are sneaking through the tunnels on Mars, trying to reach Sheridan.

As originally scripted and blocked, the scene had Garibaldi taking out the two guards they run into on his own, and being wounded in the process. Biggs wanted to get into the action and argued that even though Franklin's a doctor he wouldn't just stand around hoping that Garibaldi could handle the guards all by himself. The director finally agreed.

On the first take Biggs, who is larger than he sometimes looks on-screen, and in very good shape, went overboard in the excitement of the moment and hit the stuntman harder than he meant to. He knocked the guy out with one punch. (When you see Franklin bending down to see if the "guard" is alright, Biggs is not acting - the guy was lying there bleeding and unconcious, and Biggs was really worried about him.)

For a time they were concerned that the stuntman might lose his eye. He didn't, fortunately. The only serious damage was to his pride - being knocked cold by an actor and all. Needless to say Biggs never did another fight scene on B5.
smile.gif

A number of people were nearly hurt during the death of Kosh II. Somehow the pyrotechnic charge intended to blow his headpiece apart went off prematurely, before the area was cleared. The explosion on the second of the three Kosh-heads they had also went wrong and the director refused to risk trying it a third time, so the final version of the explosion in the episode is CGI, and rather unsatisfactory.

I'm sure there were other bumps and bruises along the way, but these are the only incidents that I can recall off the top of my head.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited August 04, 2001).]

By the way, I had to chuckle when I saw the title of this thread, because this morning I did fall, though I managed to get up.
smile.gif
I had just come home from the post office (where I had to pick up my mail because some idiot took out my mailbox a couple of days ago, and I haven't had time or decent weather to do anything about it - torrential rains the past few days here in Florida.) As I was pulling into the driveway I noticed something sticking out from under the garage door, a piece of a plastic bag. So after I parked the car I left the garage door open while I walked around to retrieve the errant bag.

You know how there is often about a half-inch difference between the slab of the garage floor and the driveway? I put my right foot right on it, lost my balance and my ankle folded, dumping onto the concrete driveway. Banged up my elbow pretty good, and my ankle is killing me, but I managed to hobble back into the house. And found this thread asking, "Have you fallen...?"

laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Ouch, Joe. My elbow's throbbing in sympathy.

See, Babylonian synchronicity even extends fanward.
wink.gif

Hope you're not hobbling for long.

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

When I first saw Severed Dreams, I thought that that scene were Doyle broke his arm, was a brilliant piece of acting. Finding out it's real - well, the guy had dedication!

I don't know if you would call this an injury as such. But when they were filming the Dreaming sequences for Atonement, Mira Furlan had a severe allergic reaction to the dry ice they used in the scenes, swelled-up horribly, and had difficulty breathing. As a result, they had to take the filming in easy stages.

------------------

According to Bruce Boxleitner, when they were filming his jump at Z'Ha'dum he had to do it 10 or ll times about 10 feet to a pile of mats and he hurt his back and had to have some physiotherapy.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

....some idiot took out my mailbox a couple of days ago,

Joe
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few kids from my high school were driving around stealing mailboxes, as they thought that was a great prank. Unfortunately, it is also a federal crime.

They were expecting a slap on the wrist for a misdemeanor when they eventually got caught. 'Twas not the case.
laugh.gif

------------------
"The war is never completely won. There are always new battles to be fought against the Darkness. Only the names change."--Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>A few kids from my high school were driving around stealing mailboxes, as they thought that was a great prank.

Unfortunately, it is also a federal crime.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddly enough, the mailbox itself wasn't damaged. The metal post was bent over, almost lying on the ground, but the mailbox looks fine. It couldn't have been hit directly by a car, because a landscape light right next to the mailbox was undamaged. Unfortunately when I bent the post back upright it snapped off at the base. This is really going to be a pain to deal with.

The post is a white-painted metal affair, that ends in a heavier metal base, the I think you can fill with rocks for more stability. I decided to go the designer one better. I took an empty five-gallon plastic paint bucket left over from the house construction, and dug a hole slightly larger where the mailbox was going to go. I partially filled it with concrete, then set the mailbox and post in it and adjusted the concrete until the box was at the right hieght. Then I filled the rest of the bucket with concrete and replaced the sod.

Now I have to get a new post (of a different design) and plant it approximately where the old one was. That means removing this concrete-filled bucket, and that is going to be a bitch!
smile.gif
I don't want to get the same type of post, for obvious reasons, but I don't want a wooden one either, because I don't like the way they look and because they are a maintenance headache. The vinyl-covered ones I've seen look nice - but they cost about $50, plus the cost of a 4x4 post to go inside them. *sigh*

Since the mailbox post snapped off flush with the ground, there is going to be very little of it left sticking out of the concrete. The handle of the bucket won't stand up the the wieght of the concrete. That means I'm going to have to dig a bigger hole in order to get the damned bucket out of the ground, since I'm not simply going to be able to reach down and lift it up. Then I'm going to have to fill the whole thing in again (probably with gravel or concrete again.) I'm not looking forward to any of this.
smile.gif

And I haven't been able to do anything about any of this all week, not only because of the money (which I'm reluctant to spend) but because it has been raining most of the day, every day, thanks to the storm in the gulf.

But with all of this, I can't complain too much. I just found out that the sister of a friend of mine, who has been in remission for some time, may have cancer again. So in the grand scheme of things my ankle, my elbow and my mailbox are very small potatoes indeed. That sort of news does wonders for putting things in perspective.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I very seriously hope that it was not a red bucket, Joe.
shocked.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

So in the grand scheme of things my ankle, my elbow and my mailbox are very small potatoes indeed. That sort of news does wonders for putting things in perspective.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true. Hope both the grand and small schemes sort themselves out very soon though.

Then the next wave of challenges can hit...
crazy.gif

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

Poor Joe, you have had a rough time of it lately. And you are right, I am always getting my episodes mixed up, including the one in which Jerry Doyle was hurt so badly.

Hope your luck improves soon.
crazy.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back