• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVDs - Are you or aren't you?

ElScorcho

Regular
DVDs - Are you or aren\'t you?

I've read that the series is being released in season boxed sets on DVD. The million dollar question is, however, will the series be made available in ITS ENTIRETY - unlike the VHS boxed sets. Like most of you, I began purchasing the VHS tapes as they came out every three months, then six, then nine, then... I think, my friends, that the WB may have shot themselves in the foot by doing this to the fans and might have less-than-stellar sales because of this. And that might just cause the then... I mentioned earlier.

So, at the cost that the entire series might not make it to DVD, I am not purchasing any season sets until all five are available. Those tapes cost me a lot of money and I still had to tape half of them off the tube. And after all, it's still on the air.

Re: DVDs - Are you or aren\'t you?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by ElScorcho: </font color>
The million dollar question is, however, will the series be made available in ITS ENTIRETY - unlike the VHS boxed sets.

[/quote]

...AND unlike the Laserdiscs....
b5ldrelease.jpg
/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Like most of you, I began purchasing the VHS tapes as they came out every three months, then six, then nine, then... I think, my friends, that the WB may have shot themselves in the foot by doing this to the fans and might have less-than-stellar sales because of this.

[/quote]

They might have shot themselves AND US in the foot.

So, at the cost that the entire series might not make it to DVD, I am not purchasing any season sets until all five are available. Those tapes cost me a lot of money and I still had to tape half of them off the tube. And after all, it's still on the air.

[/quote]

And if all the people who would otherwise purchase the DVD sets thinks like you, and does the same, guess what? WHV won't put it all out on DVD. If Season 1 doesn't sell well, what makes you think they'll put out Season 2? They won't.

Hey, I hate to reward them for doing what they did, but we've got to take a chance here. If you want to see all of B5 released on DVD, you'll have to buy the DVD sets from the beginning, and not wait until all five seasons are out. I bought all the Laserdiscs, and they left me high and dry (see picture above). Now that they're FINALLY going to come out with DVDs, they're doing so with a release that does not match the Laserdisc release (the LD release was 4:3, and so does not have the top & bottom cropped CGI of the Sci-Fi "widescreen" release.). Even so, I'm STILL going to buy the DVD sets as they come out. You better hope that enough other people buy the Season sets as well, because without them, you're never going to be able to get all of B5 on DVD.

Instead, pitch in, have some faith, and help row this boat with the rest of us. We're all in this together.

[/quote]

By seeing the good sales of the ITB/TG DVD WHV decided it would make good business sense to try and market B5 season box sets.

If most people were to wait for all 5 seasons, then Warner Home Video would see low sales for the first season box set, and they would not produce any future season box sets.

Video tapes:
Degrade over time even if you don't watch them.
Are not 16 x 9 enhanced video.
Don't have Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.
Don't contain extras.

I will buy every season box set of B5 they produce. If the sales are good enough after we get all 5 season box sets, we might even get WHV to release Crusade as well. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Laserdisc wasnt NEARLY as widely used a format as DVD.

If they are releasing Season 1, then as long as sales are decent, they will release the rest. People CAN NOT have the mentality to wait till the end. I think all the B5 fans just need to step up and buy S1 when it comes out. If we do, they wont hold back releasing the rest, because DVD is such a widely used format.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Recoil: </font color>
Laserdisc wasnt NEARLY as widely used a format as DVD.

[/quote]

So, what's this have to do with...anything? I brought up Laserdisc to show that even though I was in a similar boat with Laserdisc, that he was in with VHS, I am STILL going to buy the DVD sets, and am going to buy them as they come out.

If they are releasing Season 1, then as long as sales are decent, they will release the rest.

[/quote]

You credit WHV with far too much sense. Even if sales start out strong, if it declines much, they will be likely to stop before completing the release. They'll blame it on a lack of interest in B5 and not the public not trusting them to finish the release. What is needed is somewhat strong, and steady sales.

People CAN NOT have the mentality to wait till the end. I think all the B5 fans just need to step up and buy S1 when it comes out.

[/quote]

On that, we're agreed!

If we do, they wont hold back releasing the rest, because DVD is such a widely used format.

[/quote]

What does "DVD is such a widely used format" have to do with anything? DVD has regions. We're talking about an R1 release. Region free players are not widely available in R1. Even if WHV releases all five seasons in say R2, most people in R1 will be out of luck.

Even if sales start out strong, if it declines much, they will be likely to stop before completing the release. They'll blame it on a lack of interest in B5 and not the public not trusting them to finish the release.

[/quote]

And, according to your example, they'd be right to do so. If S1 has strong sales and sales for S2 fall off, what other rational conclusion would they come to except that there is less interest in the series. This is exactly what happened with the VHS and LD release. People stopped buying the episodes. As it turns out this was probably because of the rumors of a DVD release back in 2000 - but even that explanation proves that there was a decline in interest in owning the series on VHS or LD. That isn't something Warner Bros. made up, it was a clear signal from the fans. So it made perfect sense for them to stop releasing a product that not enough people were buying.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. NBC does not give a an up-front promise that a new TV series you like is going to stay on the air for five or seven years (or even thirteen weeks.) Marvel comics does not swear a blood oath that every new comic book title they launch is going to last forever. And the Hollywood studios do not promise that they're going to release every season of every TV show they put out on DVD. (With the possible exception of Paramount with ST:TNG, but Trek is always an exception to the rules.) Even Fox has said that they'll keep releasing X-Files only "as long as [the fans] keep buying them."

Will Warner Bros. release all five seasons of B5? Yes, if we buy them. Otherwise they won't. Why should they? They are under no obligation to lose money just to make us happy. As long as they're making a profit on the discs, they have no reason not to keep releasing them. The minute they stop making a profit, they'll drop them like a live grenade. The power in this situation is in our hands, not theirs.

Regards,

Joe

Instead, pitch in, have some faith, and help row this boat with the rest of us. We're all in this together.

[/quote]

*holds hands, and starts singing Kumbaya* /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I will buy the first one because I would love to have B5 episodes on DVD, & also to help sales so that more will be released. If you wait, chances are you won't get all five seasons. So buy it as soon as you can!

Tammy

I will definately buy S1 soon after it comes out - for a few reasons; I've been waiting for this for a long time, I want to help the cause andkeep up interest in B5 (DVD's and just B5 in general), and I'll take whatever I can get on DVD! Heh. Do I want all five seasons (and movies and Crusade but I'm not holding my breath yet) on DVD? Yes. Would I be upset if they didn't release all five? Yes. Would I be happy that I at least have some on DVD to off-set my made-from-TV VHS copies? Oh, yes! I'll take what I can get. The more the better. So I agree with pretty much all the above who are buying right away. I am! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
And, according to your example, they'd be right to do so. If S1 has strong sales and sales for S2 fall off, what other rational conclusion would they come to except that there is less interest in the series.

[/quote]

Right to do so? No. That that would be the conclusion they'd come to, Yes. Sales depend on a lot of factors. If people think that WHV might do a repeat of what they did with VHS and LD, they may be more cautious about buying (like El Scorcho, above). WHV would never think that they share in any of the blame for a decline in sales due to how they burned people in the VHS and LD release.

but even that explanation proves that there was a decline in interest in owning the series on VHS or LD.

[/quote]

Decline in interested in owning the series on VHS, yes! If somebody has LD and/or DVD, why would they want anything on VHS?

Decline in interested in owning the series on LD? Not me. Certainly not at the time they were releasing B5 on LD (thru Sept. 1999). In fact, if I could, I'd buy the rest of B5, and all of Crusade, on LD, right now, this very second, because that would give me a 100% collection on 4:3 (with no top & bottom cropped CGI/Composite CGI).

That isn't something Warner Bros. made up, it was a clear signal from the fans. So it made perfect sense for them to stop releasing a product that not enough people were buying.

[/quote]

Because THEY BLEW IT. They waited far too long to come out with the LD release. They started to come out with the B5 LDs as DVD was really starting to get on a roll. Then the info about the B5 DVDs was leaked, and B5 LD sales must have dropped off. I did not contribute to that drop-off.

Now, we have Murphy's Law rearing it's ugly head. Instead of just continuing the same format as the LD release, we'll get the top & bottom cropped CGI from the Sci-Fi "widescreen" release. Luckily this is counterbalanced by the DVD extras, and the lesser pricing of the DVD sets (compared to the LDs, which was $263.78 + shipping per season).

Will Warner Bros. release all five seasons of B5? Yes, if we buy them. Otherwise they won't. Why should they? They are under no obligation to lose money just to make us happy. As long as they're making a profit on the discs, they have no reason not to keep releasing them. The minute they stop making a profit, they'll drop them like a live grenade. The power in this situation is in our hands, not theirs.

[/quote]

True, unless they find yet another way to torpedo success. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif (at WHV, not at you)

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by crazybillyo: </font color>
*holds hands, and starts singing Kumbaya*

[/quote]

Get that scene of Byron and the teeps, singing, OUT OF MY HEAD! Argh! /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Actually, "We're all in this together." was a quote from:
The Red Green Show

Okay, so I'm I cheap bastard and I know it. It also doesn't help that I already OWN the entire first season on VHS. I mean what are we talking here - eighty bucks for the first set? I'm sorry, but I don't have much luck gambling, even if I had the bank to do it.

IMHO (which will sway no one), if they wish to cater to the FANS of the show, they should release a limited quantity of all five boxed sets and then imprint more if they sell well. But, alas, they never called...

EScorcho wrote:

...they should release a limited quantity of all five boxed sets and then imprint more if they sell well.

[/quote] I suspect that even that approach would fail. It has become my impression that producing the first copy (disk image) is nearly as expensive as imprinting thousands of further copies. It means producing interviews, comments, captions, menus, packaging and advertising (plus related legal stuff). Doing the video and sound transfers, checking them for errors, manually fine-tuning MPEG-2 compression... and finally, transfering the complete DVD image onto high-quality media for industrial printing of disks.

By using this approach, Warner would have to immediately pay a very large bill -- hoping that we buy the disks later. Should we not buy the disks, Warner would suffer loss. Nobody at Warner Home Video would like taking such risk.

First of all, welcome to the board, ElScorcho. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color="yellow">"IMHO (which will sway no one), if they wish to cater to the FANS of the show, they should release a limited quantity of all five boxed sets and then imprint more if they sell well."</font color>

I doubt too many studios care for a small number of fervent fans. They need to make a profit, so they need to cater to both the fervent fans (which is easy, as those are the most likely to buy anything anyway) and the more casual fans.

And not many casual fans are likely to snatch up five seasons worth of DVDs right away, it's way too pricey.

As for waiting - why do you actually want the DVDs if you have it all on VHS and are happy with the tapes? If it is just the better quality and extras of the DVD sets, then I'd think even having one season on DVD is better than having the VHS tapes. Even if other seasons don't follow (which I sure hope won't happen), you'd have at least that one season in best available quality, with extras that the tapes don't have.

Or are you a completist, having an all or nothing approach? Not that there is anything wrong with that, I'm just asking. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I will definitely get the first season set myself, regardless of whether the next ones are released or not. Whether I'll preorder it as soon as possible or wait a little longer (not too much, maybe a month or two at the most), I haven't decided yet.

I will gamely admit that I am a, as you say, completist as well as an incurable collector of sci-fi books and vids. My main beef is with the slight inflicted upon the people for whom the product was intended to be sold to in the first place. After all, it's unlikely that a casual fan would throw down sixty bucks for a 3-tape set because the cover looks cool or whatnot.

But for me, it's the old once bitten, twice shy mentality. Even though, seeing the s1 box set on the shelf staring back at me a few times, I'll probably cave and get it anyway - I'd still like an assurance that they'll go the distance this time.

"And I get on my knees and pray we don't get fooled again." - Pete Townshend

Ah, I see. Makes sense - I know I'd be loathe to get the first season set, if I had it on tape (I only have S4 and S5 completely on tape) and if I were happy enough with VHS (well, I'm not one to watch tapes so many times that quality drop with repeated viewing would become an issue). Since I don't have those eps on tape and since I would love to see those extras, I want those DVDs. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Still, as others here have said - the best, if not the only, way to make sure the next seasons get released is if everyone here (everyone who can, or wants DVDs at all, that is) gets that first season set.

Okay, so I'm I cheap bastard and I know it. It also doesn't help that I already OWN the entire first season on VHS. I mean what are we talking here - eighty bucks for the first set? I'm sorry, but I don't have much luck gambling, even if I had the bank to do it.

[/quote]

Be aware that you're talking to somebody who was getting the Columbia House VHS tapes of B5, and only stopped getting them when he heard of the Laserdisc release. I sold my CH tapes for next to nothing and bought all of the LDs, one by one as they came out, and then the LD release stopped (missing what many people consider to be the real meat of the show).

I don't have the bank either, and almost never win at gambling, but for some shows (Babylon 5, Crusade, Brimstone, and to a bit lesser extent Buffy and Angel), I'll make allowances, and make cuts in other places to compensate.

Right to do so? No. That that would be the conclusion they'd come to, Yes. Sales depend on a lot of factors. If people think that WHV might do a repeat of what they did with VHS and LD, they may be more cautious about buying (like El Scorcho, above). WHV would never think that they share in any of the blame for a decline in sales due to how they burned people in the VHS and LD release.

[/quote]

What you don't seem to understand is that it doesn't matter why sales drop, or why they aren't there in the first place. If the discs aren't selling at a level that returns a profit to Warner Bros. they will be cancelled and rightly so. It doesn't matter who shoulders the "blame" - low sales mean no discs.

Decline in interested in owning the series on LD? Not me.

[/quote]

And, as we all know, Kosh_N is the measure of all things. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Not you? So what? The thousands of other people who were buying the LDs and who stopped buying them were enough to kill the release. (BTW, I believe it was Image Entertainment's decision to kill the LD release. They were releasing the series under license, which meant Warner Bros. was getting paid something up-front plus a royalty on the discs. Image bore all the fianancial risks. Of course, they got out of the LD business entirely not too long after dropping the B5 release.)

They started to come out with the B5 LDs as DVD was really starting to get on a roll.

[/quote]

Well, they let Image try to sell the LDs at a time when nobody was releasing TV shows on DVD. BTW, if you knew DVD was taking off and LD withering on the vine, why did you buy the LDs? I passed on the LD (and VHS) release for that very reason. Even if both other sets had been completed they would have been a waste of money as far as I was concerned.

Then the info about the B5 DVDs was leaked, and B5 LD sales must have dropped off. I did not contribute to that drop-off.

[/quote]

But pretty much everybody else who was buying them did. Or do you think Image owes you a complete set because you kept buying them when other people had the good sense to cut their losses?

True, unless they find yet another way to torpedo success.

[/quote]

And what exactly would that be? They are releasing full season sets, with 5.1 remixes and extras - exactly what we've been asking for. They are releasing the JMS-approved widescreen version and have involved him in the production of the DVDs - which a clear majority of fans have asked for. They are pricing the sets competitively with similar series releases. The situation today is utterly unlike that at the time of the LD and VHS releases. The reasons they failed in the market places (and they did fail in the market place, regardless of the cause) do not apply to the DVDs. Unless, of course, B5 fans fail to see that and sulk in the corner, refusing to buy the DVDs as they are released.

Regarding the cost of DVD production, here are some excerpts from Jim Taylor's DVD FAQ, one of the most authoritative sources around:

DVD production has two basic phases: development and replication.

DVD-Video development has three basic parts: encoding, authoring (design, layout, and testing), and premastering (formatting a disc image). The entire development process is sometimes referred to as authoring. Development facilities are provided by many service bureaus (see 5.5). If you intend to produce numerous DVD-Video titles (or you want to set up a service bureau), you may want to invest in encoding and authoring systems (see 5.3 and 5.4).

Replication (including mastering) is usually a separate job done by large plants that also replicate CDs (see 5.5). DVD replication equipment typically costs millions of dollars. A variety of machines are used to create a glass master, create metal stamping masters, stamp substrates in hydraulic molds, apply reflective layers, bond substrates together, print labels, and insert discs in packages. Most replication plants provide "one-off" or "check disc" services, where one to a hundred discs are made for testing before mass duplication. Unlike DVD-ROM mastering, DVD-Video mastering may include an additional step for CSS encryption, Macrovision, and regionalization

Authoring and pre-mastering costs are proportionately the most expensive part of DVD. [italics added - jd] Video and audio must be encoded, menus and control information have to be authored and encoded, it all has to be multiplexed into a single data stream, and finally encoded in low level format. Typical charges for compression are $60/min for video, $20/min for audio, $6/min for subtitles, plus formatting and testing at about $30/min. A ballpark cost for producing a Hollywood-quality two-hour DVD movie with motion menus, multiple audio tracks, subtitles, trailers, and a few info screens is about $20,000.

[/quote]

Since each season would be roughly equivalent to 40 typical Hollywood movies (to use the most conservative estimate), that gives you a ballpark figure of $800,000 each. (Possibly closer to $1,000,000.) Note that the figures quoted above by Jim Taylor do not including licensing or production costs for "extras" beyond a commentary track or two. Nor do they include the costs of designing and producing the packaging, warehousing, shipping or marketing. Finally the costs of the replication phase (which includes mastering) are not included, but these are relatively small potatoes. (About $1,000 per disc for mastering, adding $6,000 to the cost of each season, and roughly $2.60 per dual-layered disc to actually stamp the things at. The final cost on that depends on how many discs Warner Bros. pumps out, plus the cost of the discs that fail the QA checks.)

You have to sell a lot of DVDs to make all this money back, and nobody in his or her right mind is going to lay out somewhere around 4 1/2 to 5 million dollars (or more) to put all five seasons out at once without being sure that the sets are going to sell well enough for them to not only get their money back, but to turn a profit. The only way to be sure is to release one season and see how it does. The numbers from the TV movie disc showed that there is a market for the series on DVD, but it can't directly predict how a full-season set will be received.

There is also the problem of limited DVD replication capacity. Every 6 disc B5 set replaces 6 feature films in the production pipeline. Even if Warner Bros. wanted to release all the season sets at once it is unlikely that they could do so. They have to leave room to release a batch of new and catalog feature films every month. Even Paramount is releasing the ST:TNG sets only every couple of months (and Trek is as close to a sure thing as exists in the DVD business.) Fox, as noted, is still sticking to a twice-a-year release schedule for The X-Files - even though that series established the market for full-season sets, and its unexpected success was a major factor in Warner Bros.'s decision to do something similar with B5.

Regards,

Joe

And, as we all know, KoshN is the measure of all things. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

[/quote]

Oh, you always make me feel so important. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

BTW, if you knew DVD was taking off and LD withering on the vine, why did you buy the LDs? I passed on the LD (and VHS) release for that very reason. Even if both other sets had been completed they would have been a waste of money as far as I was concerned.

[/quote]

Reason: I was getting the LDs while the getting was good. The LDs beat the hell out of the VHS tapes, quality-wise, and at least it was on a video DISC format. I never expected Image to stop in mid-release, and not even touch Season 3. Hell, they didn't even finish Seasons 2 & 4. That was the meat of the show. The fact that LD was dying and DVD was taking off was no guarantee that WB/WHV would ever come out with B5 on DVD and do it right. And now with the DVDs we'll see that WB/WHV will do their own peculiar little mixture of doing it right (the stuff you listed) and not doing it right (not releasing the 4:3 version with it's uncropped CGI/Composite CGI, not re-rendering the CGI). I just hope to God that the transfer is GREAT, because without that, all the extras in the world won't help.

As far as I'm concerned, the LDs were not a waste of money because at least I have some LD quality episodes without the top & bottom cropped CGI/Composite CGI of the Sci-Fi "widescreen" version. These babies are a joy to behold, and blow the Sci-Fi aired ones out of the water. Maybe it's the cable signal, but the Sci-Fi "widescreen" ones always look too dark to me. The LDs have much better color, and the LD audio is clean and open, unlike Sci-Fi's low and sometimes scratchy audio. In fact, Sci-Fi's signal reminds me of the quality of the signal back when B5 was on PTEN (which came over WPGH-53 in Pittsburgh). When B5 went to TNT, the quality of the signal took an amazing upward leap in quality.

<ul type="square">
[*]B5 (PTEN) on WPGH-53: Video signal dark. Audio was a muddy mono.
[*]B5 on TNT: Video signal brighter and more saturated. Resolution appears higher. Stereo with good volume and separation. Nice clean sound. Very nice!
[*]B5 on Laserdisc: Video signal, clean, saturated and high-res. Audio very clean, good volume, and with excellent separation. Wow!
[*]B5 on DVD (The first DVD): Let's hope WHV re-releases them again (maybe in a B5 movie pack, with the other four movies /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) after they clean up the dust and re-do the audio in 5.1.
[/list]

But pretty much everybody else who was buying them did. Or do you think Image owes you a complete set because you kept buying them when other people had the good sense to cut their losses?

[/quote]

I'd expect WB to not leak the info. and hurt LD sales. I'd expect Image to have the decency to finish what they started, or at least finish the seasons they started. If not that, then I'd expect somebody to release the next video format in the same aspect ratio as the preceding one that got screwed, so that people who had supported the first one, could at least complete their collection with the second one. However, I expect too much, because all they see me as is a walking wallet.

> True, unless they find yet another way to torpedo success. <
And what exactly would that be?

[/quote]

Well, I'd hate to give 'em ideas, but they could:
<ul type="square">[*]Cut corners on the transfer.
[*]Raise the price.
[*]Stop before releasing all five seasons.
[/list]

I'd never expect them to release all five seasons at once. For one thing, who has the money to buy all five seasons at once?

DVDs - Are you or aren't you?

I am....

--------------------------------------
"If you want to make us stronger, attack and we unite."
Adam Mayblum, WTC Survivor

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back