• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

DVDs - Are you or aren't you?

Re: DVDs - Are you or aren\'t you?

so am I, I'm even pre-ordering/resercing it so i can get a good discount on it /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Well straight off the cuff I score because I do not have any of the eps for season one. My collection consists of season 3 am=nd four and just this week the beginnings of season 5. I tend to agree with concensus around here. Encourge the sales of S1 and thus encourage further production of B5

Hey, thanks for the info on how much it costs to produce DVDs. You learn something new every day. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Tammy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
they should release a limited quantity of all five boxed sets and then imprint more if they sell well.

[/quote]

Why would anyone ever do this?
The bulk of the cost is not in the incremental cost of printing more copies. It is in the up front costs that remain the same whether you print 10 or 1000000. If they followed your stategy they would have to put a HUGE price tag on the sets to have any hope of breaking even. This would just doom the chances of the set selling well enough to make them want to produce more.

My tail is between my legs and my head hung in shame for suggesting such a thing. Until I read JD's post above, I had no idea that it was such an involved process. I was under the impression that the series was, in fact, filmed digitally in the first place. (Don't know where I heard it.) And that it would not be that much work to transfer it to the DVD medium.

Still, even if they did produce all five, they'd buy 'em in Britain. They have complete season boxes on VHS over there. Too bad they encode DVDs in different formats (just like VHS NTSC vs PAL) to mess with us.

From JMS on usenet:

Finally, I'm writing an intro for the B5 DVDs, which are proceeding along well and this should prove to be a very nice little package.

...after the 12th of July or so there will likely be a small announcement from WB that's B5 related. Can't comment more than that, and it isn't anything major a la a new series or a movie or the like, but I suspect a certain sub-set of B5 fandom will be most pleased by the information.

[/quote]

I suspect this will be (at last) the official announcement of the DVDs, with specs.

P.S.

Kosh: Can you shrink that spreadsheet graphic or something? It distorts the whole screen and everyone who was interested in it has surely read it by now. I would also imagine it adds to the page load time for those still using dial-up connections. Thanks.

Joe

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
Kosh: Can you shrink that spreadsheet graphic or something? It distorts the whole screen and everyone who was interested in it has surely read it by now. I would also imagine it adds to the page load time for those still using dial-up connections. Thanks.

[/quote]

Sure. I'll shrink it down. Thought I had it 640 wide, but it was 697. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif It's a JPG "0" so between that and the shrink it ought to load pretty fast. I use dial-up and it loads pretty fast for me.

I for one will purchase each one of everything of Babylon 5 that comes out on dvd no matter if it's not my favorite.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back