• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Bush not so dumb after all? <g>

If Hitler and I were vegetarians, I'd just deny it as well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Btw, thanks Ant!

Hypatia,

Suggest you reread the "corpwatch" article again. Like so much put out nowadays it is an agenda-based piece that doesn't say what it seems to say. In other words, it takes some facts, while not telling the complete story, and presents the selected "facts" so a reader will conclude this or that person/event was bad or good, depending on the writer's agenda. These pieces also always include at "punch line" conclusion that is not necessarily supported by fact. In this case,

"The oil interests began to look towards a post-Taliban Afghanistan, and so did their representatives in the US national security establishment."

There is nothing in the article to verify the "oil interests began to look towards a post-Taliban Afghanistan" or they, in fact, had representatives in the national security establishment."

In other words, 2+2=5

There is nothing in the article to verify the "oil interests began to look towards a post-Taliban Afghanistan" or they, in fact, had representatives in the national security establishment."

Why would they need to look into post-Taliban Afghanistan? It'll be an easy road from here on out. The way was set a long time ago. The Taliban didn't give them what they wanted. They now have another way to get what they want (oil).

We've done a lot of business with "regimes" we now find horrific. And yet Saudia Arabia is more likely harboring the criminals we seek than Iraq. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Pakistan, too, has a nice "not quite sure" status with us now, right?

I wonder where all of this will blow up in 10 years. Sorry, end up in 10 years.

And why was the USA actually supporting the Taliban in Afghanistan at first? Hmm, I don't suppose it would have anything to do with the oil, would it? Afghanistan and oil

The United States did not support the Taliban in Afghanistan.
What the United States did was support the Mujahideen against its Cold War enemy the USSR. The Red Army withdraw in 1989. Mullah Omar did not found the Taliban until 1994.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9610/05/taleban/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1569826.stm

Hypatia wrote; "Why would they need to look into post-Taliban Afghanistan? It'll be an easy road from here on out. The way was set a long time ago. The Taliban didn't give them what they wanted. They now have another way to get what they want (oil)."

Actually it was a "natuaral gas" pipeline that would cross Afghanistan, not oil in Afghanistan.

As for your question, "Why would they need to look into post-Taliban Afghanista?," the answer is, "They didn't." Instead they began building a pipeline across Georgia to carry the gas.

Bottom line to the article is: It is a typical agenda-based piece of disinformation.

During the Gulf War, we had to listen to myriad of pricks crying "No blood for oil". We handily beat the Iraqis, liberated Kuwait, and left Saddam in power.

Did we get any free oil out of it?

No.

Did oil prices even decrease in the aftermath of the Gulf War?

No.

All we got was the massive bill for a war to help out our allies and very little thanks in return. Where's the oil?

Now, a decade later, an increasingly cynical world community and American populace pull out the same bullshit argument.

It makes me sick.

Right, folks, part of this thread is better suited to off-topic... please take it there. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not moving this one because the subject hasn't changed topic - it's just veering. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just don't know how to copy the bits that she finds objectionable and translate them over to another forum.

Channe, I think you might have to do that one yourself. To start a new topic this deep in doesn't make sense.

I do believe they can move PART of a thread. In other words, leave the B5/White House visit comments here, and pull off and move the Iraq stuff to another forum...

If anyone's going to move a thread around here, it's going to be me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My tongue-in-cheek title for this thread probably invited some of the off-topic comments (although they were probably inevitable anyway, as has been seen on other boards and the newsgroup.) So I'm content to let the actual thread stay here provided the balance of the conversation focuses on B5. There are plenty of existing threads in "Off-Topic" where people can bash or defend President Bush.

Regards,

Joe

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Whoops!

I've been running through the forums so quickly trying to catch up that I lost track of where I was. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Honest, channe, I wasn't trying to take over. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Explanatory note: Back in September, I called the phone company to get the low-down on what I would need to do when it came time to move. For one thing, I wanted to keep my current phone number - which turned out not to be possible. They suggested that I go ahead and place all the move orders right then, so that they could issue my new numbers and get it into the system, and pick an arbitrary date in the future. That way when I got the actual move date I could just call and change it, which would give me a higher priority for the desired date than new orders. So we picked November 29th. When the deal to sell my house fell through a week before the closing, I called and changed the date to January 20th, because it usually takes about a month to close a real estate deal, and odds were I wouldn't find a buyer until December. I also had to call the electric company, the gas company, the water utility, the lawn service, etc. to make sure nothing else got turned off. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, somebody didn't get the word. When I tried to log in this morning, after being off the net most of the day yesterday, my DSL didn't connect. I spent about an hour fooling with the computer and the DSL modem before I gave up and decided to call tech support. That's when I found out my phones weren't working. Spent most of the morning on my cellphone talking to different departments. Got dialtone back fairly quickly, but only just got the internet working again a few minutes ago. And I have a lot of BBS messages and e-mail to wade through. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

My humblest apologies, channe. I just didn't know where I was. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

*looks moderately miffed for a while*

*grins*

'Sok. I'll let it be, as long as it has some sort of B5 content. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now Channe has to move 1/3 of this to "Off Topic" and 1/3 of "Questions and Suggestions" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back