• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

And shut the door when you leave!

GKarsEye

Regular
Perhaps those rooms without doors have some space between the entrance and the public area that we don't see.

I know, it's a stretch.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Oh yes, it bothered me.
smile.gif

Even if the offices are away from the public area, I would say there were plenty of occasions when the talk was not meant for anyone else but the persons in the room.

Anyone could get in, it seemed. Just like anyone could just walk into C&C and decide to spend the night there or something.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Dramatic license, I think they call it.
laugh.gif
I hate to compare B5 to something as cheesy as "Dark Shadows", but I thought many times "why haven't these people learned that EVERYONE seems to hear what goes on in the DRAWING ROOM?"
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

For the council chambers one of the races could have some cultural oddity that requires them to negotiate in open spaces. A stretch yes but possible.

G'Kar isn't just anyone. I imagine he could cajole any guards into letting him into C&C.

Your on your own for the rest.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

I never really gave the door issue any thought, but now that I think about it, you're right.

Another thing that bugged me was that when the doors automatically open for someone, sometimes they shut right away, or other times they wait for the person to get done talking before they close. Do the doors really know 'hey, this person's still having a conversation with someone so we can't shut yet', or 'this person isn't talking to anyone, so let's close'? Is it just me, or should all the doors close after about the same amount of time. The same is true with Star Trek too.

This is getting even nitpickier, but some things just need to be said.
crazy.gif

------------------
"I welcome you and present this place to you as a gift. I am called Valen, and we have much work ahead of us."
-Valen, War Without End Pt.2

The doors not shutting has bothered me, too. They don't always open automatically, either. I've seen characters walk up to doors, turn their head to talk to someone (door still closed), then face the door, which opens. I'd say it senses their intent to leave or not to leave, but if they'd meant to leave before being stopped by the other person . . . I think we just have to accept that it is how it is.

------------------

I've noticed the no-door thing before too. You're definitely on to something. I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks of these things.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to citizens of NY, DC, and to us all.

The absence of doors never occured to me! It is unusual, but the entry or hallway does work for me....

I just spend too much time wondering about
the effect of gravity on Londo's hair.

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

Or even more fun, back in The Pilot where G'Kar invoked privacy, he and Lyta were surrounded by a light show. (This scene was edited out of the second edition.)

The military can get so bothered about security that they brick up the windows in very secure areas. So, no doors is unbelievable.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

You know, the no doors in the office thing has bugged me too.

But, if you think about it, to get to the sector that Sheridan's office is in, you have to get past security. So, not just anyone can walk right into that sector and into Sheridan's office. Same for C & C. To get to that sector you'd have to have a certain security clearence.

Maybe there are security guards outside the office hallways that..well...guard

Now, you might think, "well how did the reverend get in there?" Well, the Council did have meetings with him, so perhaps he was given a certain security clearence?

As for reporters getting in, well they're reporters; they're pushy and probably talked there way in.

Anyway... point is is that you have to have certain clearences to get to certain sectors. Once you get to those sectors, going to Sheridan's office or C & C may just be a matter of getting past security guards (or maybe EarthGov is too cheap for that)

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Simple: the Psi Corps programmed the doors to have some kind of evil psi-spying thing going on.
wink.gif

Good question, BTW.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Hypatia's right, it's dramatic license. I often want to grab the command staff, shake them, and remind them of the old axioms, loose lips sink ships, and walls have ears. But the door thing is only one of many cinematic cliches. I saw a printed list of about 15 a few years ago. Two other common ones: no one ever says goodbye when they hang up the phone. And did you ever notice that most of the time when someone is carrying a bag of groceries, it usually has a baguette sticking out of it. Celery is also popular.

But if we want to come up with an explanation to cover for these oversights, at least as far as listening goes, we already have electronic sound cancellation equipment that would be able to prevent sound from going through an open door, so it could be used on B5, all the time, or just for privacy, leaving doors such as to the council room open for symbolic purposes. As for opening and closing, some cases do seem inexplicable, but many do make sense. Doors would have to be able to distinguish between someone just walking by, and someone wishing to enter. So they would likely be able to sense motion, direction, speed, proximity, and thus would not open if someone stopped nearby, or would not close until they were a ways away, incase they turn around.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

Let's not forget that the Babylon 5 computers are pretty advanced.
They recognize Voices and Faces.

Anyone Not programmed for clearance to secure areas would be noticed by the security protocols.
And, just because we have never Seen them closed, doesn't mean there Aren't any doors at these checkpoints.
The doors may be programmed to stay open all the time except in emergencies, in case of a security problem (i.e., the wrong person in the hallway) or if ordered closed by someone on the command staff.

As far as a door staying open while twe people finish a convesation, if the computer can recognize an order to Open in the first place, it can be programmed to wait until the room's occupant has finished talking to the departing visitor.

In fact, we have seen the doors Wait until told to close when someone leaves which would indicate that the Wait routine isn't quite sure if it should close.

Notice, however, the doors to people's quarters do not open via Voice command from Outside. They need a keycard or a keyed lockcode to guard against recorded voices and imposters.

A couple characters even get told by friends that they need to change their lockcodes more often.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
A couple characters even get told by friends that they need to change their lockcodes more often.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which leaves me wondering... how exactly did G'Kar get into Londo's quarters?? Was he an expert at lock-picking as well as a warrior, a diplomat and a writer??
tongue.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War

Does it bother anyone else that offices, conference rooms, and other sensitive places (excluding C&C and Medlab) on Babylon 5 don't have doors?

It does for me.

Now, honestly, without doors, we have such great scenes as Delenn storming the League of Non-Aligned Worlds in S5, and the late Season 3 exchange between Reverend Dexter and Sheridan, but... doesn't it just bother anyone else that they conduct Code 7R meetings with their voices able to be heard in the hallway?

I know, I'm nitpicking. But, hey. Without doors, the security implications are staggering.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Which leaves me wondering... how exactly did G'Kar get into Londo's quarters?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I seem to remember Vir opened the door from inside Londo's quarters when a "dusted"
shocked.gif
G'kar rang the door bell.
laugh.gif

------------------

Perhaps, like with Sheridan's office, you just can't see the door aroud the corner. With the other example you gave I cant come up with an explanation.
smile.gif

------------------

One thing I want to know is why Talia would take a 270 year old penny and "fling" it into a wall. It seems to me only an avid coin collector would have a mint condition 1990's era Lincoln head USA penny on an Earth Alliance Station light years from their home world.
wink.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kraig:
I seem to remember Vir opened the door from inside Londo's quarters when a "dusted"
shocked.gif
G'kar rang the door bell.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, yes - but I was referring to the season 1 episode when G'Kar was desperate to get the G'Quan Eth plant. He somehow managed to get into Londo's room (no Vir there).
smile.gif

------------------

Maybe he got in the same way he did to door to Garibaldi's quarters in the episode "The Hour Of The Wolf" (at least I think that's the episode). It looked like he opened the door with brute force.
cool.gif
The hinges on the doors probably aren't Narn proof.
laugh.gif

------------------

Back