• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

And shut the door when you leave!

about the doors... they must be the easiest things to open without authorization. it doesn't even take the person long to break in. Just slip something into the whole and 2 seconds later brrrrrr door open. Of course we could say the thing about doors now.

------------------

Council Chamber -- just like a Parliament. You pass a security check upon entering the whole building (Green Sector, diplomatic area) and can move freely in the public spaces within. To enter specific non-public rooms, you would need to pass an additional check or have a key.

A random Vorlon disguised as a refrigerator would not rush into the Council Chamber without anyone trying to stop it. A rather annoyed Delenn would. Not only would she have authorization, but she would also walk past any guards (remember the Grey Council) or stare at them until they would step out of her way.
laugh.gif

---

Personal quarters are governed by personal preferences. You can program who your computer will let it, how the doorbell works, how fast (and under which conditions) the door closes. The door has a neat set of sensors for recognizing people and determining their intentions, you have full control over your own computer (which can, to some degree, understand spoken language).

Example: business quarters. If the owner is at home, anyone may enter. No authorisation is needed to enter a shop. The door will open if a person stops at the door and faces it (unless occupied with other activities like a conversation).

Example: a diplomat's office, most personal quarters. You ring a doorbell and answer three questions: who are you, what do you want, why are you here.
wink.gif
Some persons may get in more easily: if the computer recognizes Vir, he will get into Londo's quarters. You can recognize a person via various means: visual examination, fingerprint, DNA.

---

Reverend Dexter and Sheridan's quarters: dramatic license.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> But if we want to come up with an explanation to cover for these oversights, at least as far as listening goes, we already have electronic sound cancellation equipment that would be able to prevent sound from going through an open door, so it could be used on B5, all the time, or just for privacy, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact there was a sound cancellation device used in 'The Gathering' when G'Kar talks to Lyta about Narn telepath genes IIRC.

Regards

------------------
'I MA DARKE AND MYZSTERIOUS LIEK JaY C DENTAN!!1!' - Corn Hat

The C'n'C does have a door. They just forget to close it.

Sheridan's office. In the Whitehouse does the Oval office have a door? The US President has a private office as well as the ceremonial office.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The hinges on the doors probably aren't Narn proof. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think there are many things in the universe that are truly Narn proof
smile.gif
Tough SOBs
laugh.gif

------------------
Demon

Are ultra-secret things discussed in the ceremonial office while anyone can walk by? Or are those conversations held in the private office, checked for listening devices, behind closed doors?

I understand about security clearances and all that. But still, there are a whole lot of people who have been cleared to that part of the station - security guards, station personnel, diplomats.

Now, that is all nice and good as long as whatever is discussed in Sheridan's office has something to with the station, perhaps even diplomatic affairs... but I really don't think that they could afford letting everyone with that security clearance overhear e.g. the plotting against Clark!

Actually, I think there were several occasions when it was shown that people overheard discussions not really meant for their ears (can't recall any specific example right now) - but those were never really important things.

As for C&C - I've just always figured that this part of the station ought to be closed for even the diplomats. It's really not a good idea to have aliens running in and out of the control centre of the station.

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

FWIW, it's a Lot more difficult to bug a randomly selected Public Area than it is to bug someone's bedroom or office. After all, the station is, in effect, a small city. Too expensive to plant bugs everywhere.

So, if no one is close enough to listen and you don't see anyone lurking with a parabolic mike, you can be fairly certain you aren't being listened in on.

Plus, we did see Garibaldi Checking for bugs a few times. Just because we don't see it Every Time doesn't mean it isn't happening. He may have simply started carrying a bug detector in his pocket All The Time.

"Hey, big boy, are we being Bugged, or are you just glad to see me?"
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

I'd bet the hallway to Sheridan's office has several security cameras programmed to light up a warning whenever someone not supposed to be there shows up. The whole top of his desk is a computer display, after all. We just don't get to see it functioning much.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
As for C&C - I've just always figured that this part of the station ought to be closed for even the diplomats. It's really not a good idea to have aliens running in and out of the control centre of the station.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, remember the American sub and the Japanese fishing boat?

I actually don’t remember seeing a lot of aliens in C and C, though. G’kar once, maybe, I really mostly only remember Ivanova and Corwin being there (with some typical extras) and the occasional Capt. Sheridan.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Talia got into the C'n'C a couple of times. Although the station telepath may have been given a full security clearance. You never know what she may pick up.

Talia also walked into Sheridan's office and heard things that were not meant foe her.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
FWIW, it's a Lot more difficult to bug a randomly selected Public Area than it is to bug someone's bedroom or office. After all, the station is, in effect, a small city. Too expensive to plant bugs everywhere.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you're not a Technomage.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Maybe we see so few doors on B5 because JMS didn't want to have to use the obiligatory sound when the doors open and close as on TOS?
laugh.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Does it bother anyone else that offices, conference rooms, and other sensitive places (excluding C&C and Medlab) on Babylon 5 don't have doors?

It does for me.

Now, honestly, without doors, we have such great scenes as Delenn storming the League of Non-Aligned Worlds in S5, and the late Season 3 exchange between Reverend Dexter and Sheridan, but... doesn't it just bother anyone else that they conduct Code 7R meetings with their voices able to be heard in the hallway?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It bugs me most with regards to Sinclair's/Sheridan's office and the Council Chamber. Those two should have doors.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
... but I really don't think that they could afford letting everyone with that security clearance overhear e.g. the plotting against Clark!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, they did have some of those meetings in Sheridan's quarters, and that has a door.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 28, 2001).]

Then there was that middle-of-the-hallway incriminating discussion in last night's episode, where Garibaldi told some maintenance worker coming out of the elevator to take a hike...

That bothers me. ESPECIALLY if you're planning against your own government, you should have a door, and one of those nifty listening dampeners.

If I were planning against my own government I wouldn't do it in my office with the door wide open to the hallway.

Not that I am.

I don't even have a *real* office at the moment (I'm using the conference room until things are moved about...)

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

In Ceremonies of Light and Dark, Sheridan, Ivanova, and Garibaldi are in Garibaldi's office resetting the security codes. It should be pretty secure while they're doing so, and Delenn just walks in. Granted the door was closed, and maybe she's been given a lot of clearance, but you'd think she'd at least have to press a door chime and identify herself first.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to citizens of NY, DC, and to us all.

By "Ceremonies of Dark and Light", Delenn would have sufficient trust to get all the clearances you can get on Babylon 5.

There are several highly cooperative Minbari warcruisers outside -- which is why the station is still there.

Besides, it is quite useless to hide access codes from the Minbari. They also learn hacking in the temple.
laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited November 30, 2001).]

yea the DOORS! like when londo couldn't get into the meeting room of the league, cus the door was shut, but then theres no door any other time..so i thought the door was around the corner and down the hall..lol

and how does the computer know that they are talking to it? I mean if you have to say COMPUTER! then why don't you have to say COMPUTER all the time?

------------------
I am on the SHORT LIST OF the people G'kar's Eye can count on to give him hell. Is that a GOOD THING????

wink.gif
..I decided we, as viewers, have a key to the executive 'watch room'..
smile.gif

Gary

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sassy:
yea the DOORS! like when londo couldn't get into the meeting room of the league, cus the door was shut, but then theres no door any other time..so i thought the door was around the corner and down the hall..lol
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why Zack stopped Londo and Vir where he did, well away from the Council Chambers doorway. Still, sound, especially with all those hard walls (no curtains or other sound absorbing material), should carry. Maybe there was some kind of active sound cancellation going on outside council chambers, and it's only used for planned super-secret sessions?

Maybe, the Centauri only have great big eyes, ship sensors, and other ... 'er ... "attributes" but NOT great big EARS??
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sassy:

and how does the computer know that they are talking to it? I mean if you have to say COMPUTER! then why don't you have to say COMPUTER all the time?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe when they're out of range of a proximity sensor (like the electric eye at supermarket doors), they have to prefix the request with "Computer, ". e.g. You're wandering around the room, and suddenly decide that you want to watch ISN. You could say "Computer, find ISN." with your back turned, on the other side of the room from the display, or maybe from a different room, or you could walk over and stand directly in front of the display and probably say just "Find ISN." or maybe just "ISN."

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back