• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A REALLY stupid question

We've all agreed that there is no such thing as a Stupid Question.

But, if you'd like, we can try to dream up a few Stoopid Answers.
laugh.gif

Courtesy of the Jim Cary School of Not So Snappy Dialogue.
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
crazy.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited September 24, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ala:
Neither 2 January nor 19 January were rumors nor was the October/December date previously posted. They all came from SCI-FI in one way or another.

Sometimes networks change their minds based on newer data. This is no different than having the networks put back their new season premieres 1-2 weeks given the events of September 11.

The latest date is January 19. Whether this changes again is anyone's guess.

Best,
Alyson

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You wouldn't happen to have a URL and/or copy of the press release, would you?

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for the new series
"Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2, 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:

You wouldn't happen to have a URL and/or copy of the press release, would you?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think folks need to understand some of the reasons why we see different dates for shows. Remember, most folks won't see a show's proposed broadcast date until a public media plan results in a commercial or advertisement in print, radio, or other media. Even then, the date isn't guaranteed.

I remember, around upfront-time, when SCI-FI put out the initial date for the rerun of Crusade. It held so briefly that by the time we went to confirm it with SCI-FI (within a day or so) it had changed. That source was SCI-FI's own ad in an print industry magazine. It was so quick that I don't think it ever got formally reported in the B5 sites/newsgroup.

In the case of B5LR.COM and certain other sources, folks who work at SCI-FI or in related areas (e.g., advertising, magement consulting, media) that allow us access to information, such as upfronts or trade media do provide information formally or informally when they can. So, sometimes, Anthony gets given the information and reports it and, sometimes, it can be said more directly because it has been "publically" announced.

Normally a Network doesn't issue a press release with a scheduling change. They provide the information to those that need to know it ahead of time (e.g., potential sponsors). Since it's unclear that Rangers will be sold as a special unit (most advertising on cable is sold by block of time rather than show) that isn't even really necessary.

You may want to think about the sensitivity of this information when it is announced in any place. Personally, I won't provide anything in "public" unless it has already been made "public" because that's not my job to do. Others may not have that policy. If they are pushed too far about their sources, they may not be as forthcoming in the future.

So, no, I can't point you to a press release because there isn't one nor was there one for the previous two or three dates which SCI-FI announced.

OTOH, the 19th was "publically" stated by SCI-FI at Worldcon so it's not exactly private any more, either.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

[This message has been edited by ala (edited September 25, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ala (edited September 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ala (edited September 26, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ala:
I think folks need to understand some of the reasons why we see different dates for shows. Remember, most folks won't see a show's proposed broadcast date until a public media plan results in a commercial or advertisement in print, radio, or other media. Even then, the date isn't guaranteed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe we'll know more on 10/8, but probably not.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
You may want to think about the sensitivity of this information when it is announced in any place.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "sensitivity" ? As in they might not want to make the actual release date public too far in advance, because of what other networks might do to minimize the show's success on that date?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
So, no, I can't point you to a press release because there isn't one nor was there one for the previous two or three dates which SCI-FI announced.

OTOH, the 17th was "publically" stated by SCI-FI at Worldcon so it's not exactly private any more, either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so far we have 1/2, 1/17, 1/19, and 1/23. Seems like a bunch of feints.

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

Babylon 5 - Crusade marathon 10/8/2001 7AM-8PM on Sci-Fi

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited September 26, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The "sensitivity" ? As in they might not want to make the actual release date public too far in advance, because of what other networks might do to minimize the show's success on that date? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes it's just a matter of "Announcing Air Dates is MY JOB" for someone at the network.

That's why JMS never announces stuff like that even when he knows it.
Sometimes as much as two or three months ahead of the announcement.
It's a matter of not "Stepping on Toes".

The entertainment industry runs on EGO. Money is just how they keep score.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

It was pointed out to me that I typo'ed the latest schedule date for Rangers (though I got it right the first time I mentioned it here). It's 19 January not 17 January. That's a Saturday (which is part of why it's a better date).

Sorry if I caused any confusion and thanks for pointing out the typo.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>OK, so far we have 1/2, 1/17, 1/19, and 1/23. Seems like a bunch of feints.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sci-Fi has reported only two dates: 1/2 (a Wednesday) and 1/19 (a Saturday.) 1/23 came from Hypatia misremembering the date Alyson had mentioned. (It is a Wednesday, so the right date and the wrong weekday probably got conflated.) 1/17 was a typo for a date that had been given correctly in an earlier post.

Hardly a "bunch" of anything.

And networks change their minds about air dates all the time without "feinting" or conspiring to confuse fans. The fact is the final air date hasn't been formally announced to fans or anybody else. A couple of people in a couple of venues gave folks a heads-up about the current thinking at Sci-Fi, that's all. We'll see a definite airdate when they start advertising the movie. Given that we're still about four months away from that event any way you slice it, I wouldn't expect to see those ads anytime soon.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> We'll see a definite airdate when they start advertising the movie. Given that we're still about four months away from that event any way you slice it, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe, you're time warping.
laugh.gif

We're only Three months away from January now.
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Three months! Woo-hoo!

Alyson, may I ask where it is that you actually work?

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

I forgot - in TV ratings, what's a better date - a Wednesday, or a Saturday?

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire, the next JMS, neo-academic, President of the Unofficial Ladies' Society For The Appreciation Of Captain Martel, and keeper of the Sacred Flame Of The Madrecasa.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I forgot - in TV ratings, what's a better date - a Wednesday, or a Saturday?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what you mean by this. More folks watch TV on Wednesday. There is, also, greater competion. It's a place where the 6-networks put their heavy-hitters like West Wing. Competing against that is difficult, at best.

Friday and Saturday are the days with the smallest HUT. That's why genre shows and sf shows, in particular, tend to end up on those days.

Being on Saturday means it will have less competition from the 6-networks (which seem to be trying to compete on Friday this year, too). The less alternative good choices you have, the more likely a stray set of eyes sees your show and sticks or sees an ad and tunes in. For sf shows, this can help.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

Another newbie question for the board: has any Canadian station picked up the telemovie? Or more generally, what stations outside of Sci-Fi will be showing the movie?

Mostly likely, either Space or CITY will grab it here in Canada. Considering how long Space ran B5, I'd think Space.

Admiral Dave

------------------
- "Yes."
- "Fascinating."
Kosh and Spock have a meaningful discussion.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
Oh, and Solaris 5 if you're around... making all your subjects like this thread would help us spot your messages and avoid them more easily.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aw damn! I missed a comeback! When I saw the thread title, I just figured it was another question about your crazy avatars
laugh.gif

I mean, first with Kylie, and then the woman with the gun, I just never knew what was next.

May Valen be with you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back