• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Least favorite episode?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cartagia_II:
What is the name of the episode with Michael York where he thinks he's King Arthor? That would be my least favorite episode with "Grail" being a close second. The whole idea of a guy dedicating his life to finding a cup is just stupid.
Thanks
Car

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing a "Find" in the Lurker's Guide reveals A Late Delivery from Avalon.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Originally posted by KoshN

To me, it made the "experts" look empty. They were each willing to overlook the truth in order to further their own hypothesis. Maybe through all the flapping of their gums, they'd actually convinced themselves that the crap they were spouting was "the truth" ??? Naah, I don't think so. Even they weren't that deluded.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In response to a lot of people's comments about truth. There is no such thing. 20 people can witness the same thing but all will have a different interpretation or memory. They all believe that their own interpretation is the "truth", But for one person to be telling the truth everyone else must be lying. Often when people talk about events they end up agreeing, even if they didn't see the same thing. Pschological experiments have shown that people, when presented with evidence of things they did as a child (which they never did of course) such as a hot air balloon ride, after time they began to recall events such as the feel of the balloon as it took off.

Also, in Bosnia, school children are being taught history which excludes recent atrocities. They will grow up to believe that these things didn't happen. This happens all the time. Truth is made of belief and opinion. For those people who were commenting on Sheridan, they absolutely believed what they were saying. We as viewers of the series had an insight into the characters that no-one else could possibly have. When looking at history, you take what records you have and put your own interpretation on them to form a conclusion.

If there were only one truth then there would be no war or disagreement, but everybody believes they know the truth. Remember the interrogator who took in Sheridan during the civil war? He said, "truth is fluid, truth is transitory". He was right. There's a lot of important information in his words, even thoug he's the enemy. 60 years ago, Germans were the enemy of Britain, the US, etc. Are they still? No, because the truth is fluid, transitory. 100 years ago, black people were slaves, or considered animals. Is this stll the truth? The vorlons were good and the shadows were bad in the first couple of seasons of B5. We based this on what we knew, but we were wrong, they were no better or worse than one another (at least in my opinion). Is this any different from what the two historians did? Is it any different from what any historian does?

The world remakes itself around our eyes everyday.

George Orwell's 1984, is an amazing book to see how truth can be changed, and easily. jms has definitely read it and has definitely been inspired by it. If you read it (or reread it as the case may be) I think you'll understand just how complicated "truth" is.

Is everything I've said the truth, well, I believe it is....

------------------

Newstarinthesky, I was just about to post a reply to people's commments on Deconstruction, but you said it perfectly. I love that episode. You'd never see stuff like this on any other show. Gotta love B5: both happy and bad stuff, in equal measure
smile.gif

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
While the truth may be subjective, there are actual facts. The panel was conveniently ignoring all the facts that didn't agree with their argument, and making up stuff to support their arguments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me pt it this way...

There are "facts" which we the audience know, but those on the panel do not. "We" know that Sheridan's motives were good, and that he was willing to die to uphold his beliefs. When you look at anyone who has come to power, be it president or prime minister, do you instantly think "HE's a good man with good intensions who has fought hard to get what he deserves."

I would wager that most people would say no, as there is usually distrust aimed squarely at politicians. Sheridan was the head of a major political alliance, and I'm sure people had their doubts at the time, let alone 100 years later.

The panel can no more look into Sheridan's mind than I could look into George Bush's (not that I'd find much). Sheridan led a fleet which killed significant numbers of his own people. After this he took control of a major alliance, and had some substantial cock-ups during his term, e.g. the telepath war, the drakh war, etc, etc.

I know that he did his upmost to prevent this from happening. I know that he wanted peace, but "they" (the panel) don't. All the above statements about Sheridan are "facts" but without knowing his motives, they can be pieced together to form any "truth". Facts aren't really possible, except to the individual. There is always belief, agenda, personal experience, emotion, etc which stand in the way.

Historians basically sit down and try to assemble a jig-saw of which they have no idea what the final picture is. Most of the time half the pieces are missing, or are the wrong pieces, or they are fitted together wrong. Then they guess at what it might be.

Same thing here...

------------------

I have a feeling that the people who are posting in this thread have read 1984 several times.

------------------
If I tell you that everything I say is a lie, am I telling the truth?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newstarinthesky:
In response to a lot of people's comments about truth. There is no such thing. 20 people can witness the same thing but all will have a different interpretation or memory.

*snip*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While the truth may be subjective, there are actual facts. The panel was conveniently ignoring all the facts that didn't agree with their argument, and making up stuff to support their arguments.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back