• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

dr.who

Re: BADWOLF

The one thing I didn't like about the new series, was Davies lack of understanding of the temporal physics of the original Dr Who. The one exception to this was in Father's Day, that was handled quite well.

But RTD has completely ignored the fact that the TARDIS can travel sideways in time as well. There is not just one timeline, there are many. There will always be daleks and timelords beecause, it's unlikely they've been wiped out in every eventuality.

Don't get me wrong, on the whole I really enjoyed the series. My initial concerns over Ecclestone proved completely unfounded, and now I find myself missing his presence and worrying about Tennant's gravitas.

I felt the final twist of "Bad Wolf" seemed quite forced. There wasn't sufficient explanation as to how Rose figured it out. It just seemed like a surprise for the sake of surprise, which in my opinion would make it a "bum note" in the overrall good writing in the series.

It will also be interesting to see just what Rose's power did. She wiped out the daleks, she resurrected Captain Jack... presumably she used her willpower to influence various people in time to leave the "Bad Wolf" message. Did she have the power to bring back Gallifrey? If so, does this mean the Doc is back on the run again?

Re: Missing Dr Who?

Bumping this thread back up with an advertisement.

Are you having Dr Who withdrawal symptoms?

If you are, then you need a scarf to wrap yourself up in and keep the Daleks away until the next season. I have one such scarf for sale on Ebay. Click Here.

I also have a season 14 scarf needing a good home if anyone wishes to make a donation to the organ fund on about £30 plus postage.

Though I have a friend in the UK recording them to DVD and own a region free player, and have therefore seen the first season (WONDERFUL, by the way!!!), I am still waiting on an announcement as to when and where they will be showing the new WHO in the US.

This show will go over very well here, and I cannot understand the delay. Everywhere else has it now, except us. The US is known to be a huge market for WHO, so I don't undertand what the Beeb is thinking, especially since they're counting on sales of the series to help pay for it.

They should at least make some announcement that they're close to a deal or something. The US fans are going to begin to feel snubbed.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything on this? Last I checked around the web, there was still no announcement.

CE

Sounds like either there are several companies competing for the series or the Public Broadcasters cannot afford it. Since it has consistently been in the top ten for all programmes it is unlikely to be cheap.

Everywhere else has it now, except us.

UK, Canada, Australia & New Zealand = Everywhere, yes :p

I have tried getting access to anything Doctor Who at home in Austria .. it's simply impossible. Went to the local british video store to check out .. got to talk to a Yankee that had never heard of such a thing of Doctor Who, yay :rolleyes: .. yes, great way to advertise the "british video store" thingy :p

Yea, I remember going into a Hollywood Video once and asking where "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" or "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" (Don't remember which one for sure) would be at, and they gave me a blank stare and acted as if I was speaking a foreign language. Then I said something like "You know, classic movie, starring Bette Davis", same reaction. Honestly, I thought those two movies were such "Big classics", that no matter how old you are, and wether you've seen them or not, anyone would at least recognize the name?

I think I remember that it was supposed to appear on BBC America, eventually. Maybe that means a year late.

Actually, BBC America, they're saying will not show it, due to the BBC rules and something about selling their show to themselves.

Therefore, the future of the Doctor in the US is up in the air.

Sorry Chili...didn't mean to exclude you, though apparently Sweden now has it. It seems that most of the "Western World" has it now. The way the BBC was talking, in acknowledging the massive WHO fanbase in the US, one would think they would be moving quickly to get it on the air here.

I can't rely on my friend in the UK much longer, as she and her British hubby are talking about a move to the US. :rolleyes:

Anyone else across the pond with a DVD recorder? :D

CE

Canada, the UK and Sweden (and the very western Australia and New Zealand :eek: ) really aren't "most of the western world" .. though AFAIK, Finnish national television has at least bought it. There is NO sign though of it ever coming to local television in Austria, or to television channels of any of the countries one can receive channels from in Austria - Germany, Italy, France and Spain. Though considering that all these countries dub, no real problem for me :D .. things are still grossly unavailable though. The only means of getting anything really is ebay. amazon.de only has a few HORRIDLY expensive UK imports that aren't really much of an option for common mortals .. options that remain are foreign amazons. Which puts us on par with the US, Amazon UK ships cheaper to the US than it does to most of continental Europe (the advantage being that all European sets will be able to read PAL, other than american sets)

Don't mean to go too whiny :D .. but this is the kind of thing people all over the world have to put up with all the time, just due to not living in the US. Just a bit annoying how it only becomes drama when the US is hit for once, as it was with the delayed broadcast of Battlestar Galactica (which still isn't even on the horizon in most of continental Europe) .. oh well. Thank god for bittorrent :D .. though I don't really appreciate that the only way to watch normal TV is well .. illegal.

That being said, hope the US will get Doctor Who soon enough :D

Actually, BBC America, they're saying will not show it, due to the BBC rules and something about selling their show to themselves.

Translation BBC America is a commercial company and has to make a profit. Even the civil servants at the real BBC have noticed that the commercial managers only pay peanuts.

I (they) suspect that the main US Networks can pay 10 times as much.

Therefore, the future of the Doctor in the US is up in the air.
{snip}

I can't rely on my friend in the UK much longer, as she and her British hubby are talking about a move to the US. :rolleyes:

Anyone else across the pond with a DVD recorder? :D

CE
If you are willing to wait all BBC drama is being sent to DVD within 6 months. You will need a Region 2 player or unlock instructions for your current player.

The first 6 episodes of Doctor Who are already out and the rest is planned.

When it comes out, do not forget to subscribe to broadband TV; possibly called an interactive media player (iMP) service

Currently the BBC is running a trial of radio programmes that can be downloaded using broadband.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/04_april/14/pod.shtml

Work is being done on TV downloads. Particularly if the ISP can be persuaded to implement multi-drop.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4110720.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4110302.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4552635.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4332337.stm
"The BBC is also trialing a service to play programmes over the net and has not ruled out offering it to non-licence fee payers overseas.

The corporation's Interactive Media Player (iMP) is its first foray into broadband TV - known as IPTV (Internet Protocol TV). "

As for person with DVD recorders .. unfortunately not :D .. but I have found bittorrent very reliable for Doctor Who - anything old is gettable too really. I can personally get over the whole illegal thing since it's not like I am stealing from anyone, I am getting the DVDs I can whenever I can (downloaded B5 as a whole in the olddays .. and got it on DVD when it was released. Only "stealing" because it's the only option) .. if you would and could use bittorrent in principle but lack the sources, just drop me a PM :D

Gee, I guess you'll just have to mave to Canada, or a US border town. They make lots of films in Vancouver. How about there? :eek: ;)

A friend told me she'd read somewhere that BBC is not that unhappy with people downloading episodes. They think it's good for business, I guess, with 30 % of the dvd sales going to countries that are not even showing the new series. (Situation is different though than in the US obviously as there are no ad breaks).

Anyway - something silly. I don't know if anybody knows the
Llama Song (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama.php) or the
Sawyer song (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/sawyer.php). Now there's a new version - the Dalek Song (spoilers for entire new series!) - http://artistic-insanity.net/song/daleksong.html
Enjoy :D

Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to sit at my computer and watch a highly compressed (read not best quality) vid of Dr. Who. I want to be able to sit at my widescreen TV with my 5.1 surround sound and enjoy it. Bit torrent is a nice emergency alternative from time to time, but for me, it is not a regular option.

Perhaps it's the filmmaker in me that wants to see it with a certain quality, etc.

As for the DVD option, yes, I do own a region free player and have been known to order DVD's from region 2 (Blake's 7, for instance), when it appears they're not coming out in region one anytime soon, if at all.

I'm assuming, though that since it's showing in Canada, which is region one, that they will be releasing a region one DVD set of Dr. Who.

I do know that amazon.com in the US now has a "click here if you want to be added to the list of names asking for this product" option for "Doctor Who: The new series (2005)." This means that tons of people in the US are wanting it.

Perhaps the BBC has decided to take the US for some dough and only eventually offer it here on DVD, but after demand has risen quite high from people not being able to get it. I just hope that such a tact doesn't blow up in their faces...not that it will, but it is playing a risk..since if you make folks wait too long, they will end up either pissed, or over it..which helps no one.

I can get it from the UK, yes, but that means waiting longer. Yes, yes, I know...we PPPOOOOOORRRRRR americans...god forbid we should have to wait for anything. Please don't lump me in with the "americans are arrogant and bloody greedy bastards" group. I can and will wait if I have to. And BTW, I wasn't upset that the UK got BSG first, not one bit.

I am, like any fan, excited and want to see it as quickly as possible...that I'm certain you can understand. As a fan and one who works within this frelled and fracked industry...I do admit a deep perplexity of mind in not being able to understand why the BBC has not only not set a US venue for the new series, but hasn't even appeared to respond to the clamor of fans screaming for answers.

Even the Beeb stated that the US was a massive and lucrative market for Dr. Who. One would think, financially, given that the new series is reported to be the most expensive series ever in the history of the BBC, that they would be taking the most advantage of those places where they could stand to benifit most. It's simply called, good business.

To practically ignore the US fans, is very bad business, since eventually they will either get it illegally and be done with it (no profit for anyone there), or they'll piss off the US fans who will just decide they don't want it any more if that's how the BBC is going to be. (Those are the arrogant asshole ones.)

I fit in neither of those categories as I love Dr. Who and have nothing but respect for my British friends across the big pond. Hell, I would love to work in films over there, working with such great actors as Sir Ian McKellan and Dame Judi Dench...it would be the honor of a lifetime.

I will eventually get the entire new series (as long as it lasts and let's hope it has another 30 year run!). I do wish they would release the old series a bit faster as well...it seems as if they're dragging on it.

I'm also waiting for someone at the Beeb to realize that they still have the full soundtracks to most of the missing/lost episodes and that they should hire a great animation firm to animate them and thus return the old episodes, thought lost forever, to the eager and awaiting public.

Ok...Dr. Who rant over.

BTW, did you all see...Sara Jane is coming baccckkkkk! I can't wait! They're going to finally acknowledge the previous Dr.'s and with the most favored sidekick in Dr. Who history. Wooohooo!

Eager, eager, eager!

CE :D

I could be wrong, but last I heard the problem was the American networks didn't want to buy Who, as it was "too British" or something.

I think if my Transatlantic pals are after getting the new Who on TV, the best people to harass would be American Networks, no?

VB

Is it too expensive for the SciFi Channel (Both new and Classic Who)? Stargate Monday Marathon Night seems like it's probably been milked about as long as it can be. Not sure if a night of Dr. Who would work well for them for Mondays, but, they could certainly move something else to Monday, and make it Saturday Night Who (Maybe a classic story followed by a new story or something). Stargate Mondays has already been through the whole series at least 3 times, I can't imagine there's much market left there for Stargate MOndays, and there's been no Dr. Who that I am aware of in several years. My PBS stations has probably been at least 10 years, and I think they were some of the last to carry it.

Eh, I am having trouble with the region-free instructions. I see a site someone sent me to says I'd have to buy a special remote control to unlock my DVD player. O.K. might be worth considering, but I can't find the model number on my DVD player, and I don't want to order something (especially if it's from overseas) if I'm not sure what model I have.

Where do they hide the model numbers? I can't find one on the front, it just says Panasonic and then kind of lists the featrues. The remote says Panasonic Tower. :confused:

I may have to unhook it to find the stupid model number. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back