• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

dr.who

Re: Missing Dr Who?

Check for a sticker on the underside or back with a Serial Number on it. At the very least, the Serial number is likely to be a set series for a model number (IE: A model TE180 might be 18AdXXXXXXXXX S/N)

Yea, that's true, it'll have to have a serial number. But how on earth will that tell me the model number? :confused:

Well, the model number is often near the S/N, but, if nothing else, you should be able to call a distributor/manufacturer and they could possibly tell from the serial #.

And if you still have the instruction booklet, it might help as well.

And if you still have the instruction booklet, it might help as well.

I was thinking the exact same thing, myself. :mad:

I need to put important things like that in my "important papers" file. :eek:

LOL, I have the exact opposite problem. I have so many of the booklets, I would have a mystery figuring out which was the correct one, LOL

Colonyearth posted

Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to sit at my computer and watch a highly compressed (read not best quality) vid of Dr. Who. I want to be able to sit at my widescreen TV with my 5.1 surround sound and enjoy it. Bit torrent is a nice emergency alternative from time to time, but for me, it is not a regular option.

Then get a TV that can play Bit torrent. Since starting next month the BBC will be experimenting with legal downloading of programmes I suspect that Bit torrent set top boxes will be coming onto the market in the next couple of years.

You may wish to write to the BBC's technical people saying that if you will be paying for downloads you want them in high definition. High definition is slow to download and takes up a lot of disk space but is doable. Providing someone asks.

How high a definition do you want? Recently Hollywood issued a standard for digitally downloading films to theatres over satellites. They do not actually say so but same format can be used for downloading to home equipment.

I suspect that top quality home equipment will end up using a medium level quality able to download programmes over ADSL2 in real time. AES encryption is already suitable for home use providing the broadcasters decide to use it.

As for Dr Who 2005, volume 3 went on sale yesterday.
http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/ebbcdvd1757

I wonder if the big US networks are having problems with Doctor Who 2005? Such as
<ul type="square"> [*]Is the BBC a supplier or a rival? [*]Where do we schedule a children's programme? [*]Do adults really watch it? (Yes. Men - that is why Rose is a blond. Women - that is why Rose has soap opera like relationships with her mother and boyfriend.) [*]NIH. (Not invented here.) [*]The BBC sales department is not giving the buyers perks like bribes/starlets/blowjobs. [*]”There is no money in science fiction.”[/list]

Where do they hide the model numbers? I can't find one on the front, it just says Panasonic and then kind of lists the featrues. The remote says Panasonic Tower. :confused:
Japanese models sometimes come with the Regional coding unlocked. They comply with US law by removing all Region 2 - 4 information from the documentation.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to sit at my computer and watch a highly compressed (read not best quality) vid of Dr. Who. I want to be able to sit at my widescreen TV with my 5.1 surround sound and enjoy it.

I couldn't agree more. I have seen the whole series to date, broadcast on CBC Windsor. Unfortunately, their signal is a bit grainy, and is only in mono. Blowing up the 4x3 aspect ratio broadcast so that the letter boxed picture fills a 56" TV makes it even grainier. So, if it becomes available on DVD in the US, I would gladly rent it. Is Dr. Who actually in stereo of any kind? I assume that UK TV does broadcast in stereo, if the program provides it.

Is Dr. Who actually in stereo of any kind? I assume that UK TV does broadcast in stereo, if the program provides it.

Some technical information from amazon.co.uk

* Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Anamorphic
* Available Audio Tracks: Dolby Digital Stereo

OOH, OOH! I have something to look forward to - anamorphic picture and Dolby Digital... I hope they release those DVDs here!

Colonyearth posted

Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to sit at my computer and watch a highly compressed (read not best quality) vid of Dr. Who. I want to be able to sit at my widescreen TV with my 5.1 surround sound and enjoy it. Bit torrent is a nice emergency alternative from time to time, but for me, it is not a regular option.

Then get a TV that can play Bit torrent. Since starting next month the BBC will be experimenting with legal downloading of programmes I suspect that Bit torrent set top boxes will be coming onto the market in the next couple of years.

You may wish to write to the BBC's technical people saying that if you will be paying for downloads you want them in high definition. High definition is slow to download and takes up a lot of disk space but is doable. Providing someone asks.

How high a definition do you want? Recently Hollywood issued a standard for digitally downloading films to theatres over satellites. They do not actually say so but same format can be used for downloading to home equipment.

I suspect that top quality home equipment will end up using a medium level quality able to download programmes over ADSL2 in real time. AES encryption is already suitable for home use providing the broadcasters decide to use it.

As for Dr Who 2005, volume 3 went on sale yesterday.
http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/ebbcdvd1757

I wonder if the big US networks are having problems with Doctor Who 2005? Such as
<ul type="square"> [*]Is the BBC a supplier or a rival? [*]Where do we schedule a children's programme? [*]Do adults really watch it? (Yes. Men - that is why Rose is a blond. Women - that is why Rose has soap opera like relationships with her mother and boyfriend.) [*]NIH. (Not invented here.) [*]The BBC sales department is not giving the buyers perks like bribes/starlets/blowjobs. [*]”There is no money in science fiction.”[/list]

First of all, don't want to do that!!! I want DVD eventually, own a region free player and will wait if needs be. But I want to see it shown in the US because it will not only allow me to see in a good quality broadcast, but will allow the millions of Dr. Who fans and others in the US that want to see it but can't for many reasons (like hypatia) to be able to see it and show their support for it and do our part to keep it on the air as fans who watch and support. The technology you are referring to is either not for public consumption (at least not now) or is years away...I'm talking now. Why should I bug the shit out of the BBC over some download quality when I'd rather let them know that as fan I want to see it aired in the US?

A lot of your speculation on why it's not showing here is purely that...speculation. None of that would matter here or anywhere considering how well the show is doing in the other world markets in which it's showing. It has been publicly and critically acclaimed...any network that might show SF would want the show. You in the UK see it as a children's show. Yet, for years (and really with the new one) it has a universal appeal across the age barrier and always has. In the US it has tended to be very popular among key demographics, reading late teens to 30's because it's always been (though campy in the original show) a fun, well written SF show that's rarely fails to entertain. (The JNT years fell far short of the early years in all departments.)

You speak from the UK perspective on it all...I view it from the perspective of a US fan. Believe it or not, the attitude it different and the new and old Dr. Who would go over wonderfully on a channel like Sci-Fi. Which is why I don't understand why they haven't grabbed it, unless the Beeb is asking an astronomical amount for it in the US...which is most likely a part of the problem. Which is also why I cannot see them authorizing illegal downloads which take money from their pockets.

(BTW, since my computer is also my editing system, it has wonderful surround speakers and top notch monitors...but I still don't want to watch shows on it! I want to sit comfortably in my living room, not in my office. And the quality is still not as good, no matter what you say.)

Next, it's not the the new series was too expensive. That was a part of a rumor that was spread around about Sci-Fi, which was later proven to be false.

The BBC has continually stated that they have a plan (like the Cylons) for the US (and like the Cylons' plans, no one can figure out exactly what it is).

Hyp...go to Amazon.com and you can buy a region free player via a link there for a good price, the Phillips being rated the best. If you want more info, PM me and I'll help all I can. It's worth it.

Returning to the bit torrent thing...it is still ILLEGAL to download shows from there, where you think a network has authorized it or not. It is still taking money from actors and studios (even the BBC's) pocket to do so. I cannot see anyone making a show, openly saying, "Hey, download it and steal it...I don't care if I don't see any money from it."

They might eventually plan on some form of internet broadcast of a show, but it will be such that they will see some return on it in some way...controlled by them.

The only time I can see someone doing it, is like Chili...where he's got no other way to see it and he's still planning on buying the DVD's. Me...I'll wait for the DVD's if I need to. I still, firmly believe that the BBC is hurting itself by not at least making some statement on the US airing of the show. It is a vast, untapped market that could bring about a huge new following as well, which would only serve to help the show and the BBC. That is from a purely business aspect. And ultimately, that's the bottom line, folks....money.

I just don't understand their thinking. I can and will eventually get the series and enjoy it. But I do not understand why they're cutting off so many millions of fans in the US that have been loyal for decades who don't have the abilities that I do (for whatever reason, be it money reasons or so on). As someone in the industry...I am perplexed...not for me personally, but in general as to their actions.

So...anyway....Sara Jane!!!! Wooohoo!!!

CE

My DVD player is relatively new and working perfectly. I have no intention of buying a new DVD player so I can buy region 2 DVD's.

So, I'll just wait. :)

Which is also why I cannot see them authorizing illegal downloads which take money from their pockets.

(BTW, since my computer is also my editing system, it has wonderful surround speakers and top notch monitors...but I still don't want to watch shows on it! I want to sit comfortably in my living room, not in my office. And the quality is still not as good, no matter what you say.)

The BBC is experimenting with several different technologies at the moment. It will find out what works and pick that. Until then not even the BBC knows what the BBC will do.

We have several different conversations going on in the same thread. I will reduce confusion by separating them out.

I mentioned set top boxes. Set top boxes output sound and vision via TV sets, as Colonyearth requested. The obvious examples are VCRs and DVD players. Others are satellite boxes, cable boxes and the one I have Freeview set top boxes.

Currently in the UK electronics manufactures are advertising for set top box designers with TCP/IP (internet) and MPEG (digital TV protocol) experience. Since they are private sector these boxes will be on sale within 2 years. I have already given my views about what the boxes will be used for.

The BBC has continually stated that they have a plan (like the Cylons) for the US (and like the Cylons' plans, no one can figure out exactly what it is).

Experimental downloading of TV programmes within the UK starts next month.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4552635.stm
This suggests that next year internet downloading of TV will be running UK nationwide.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/askbruce/articles/bbc.co.uk/imp_1.shtml

The internet is intrinsically worldwide. The BBC is trying to limit the service to the UK through encryption. However by simply selling the key variables the BBC would become a major world internet pay-to-view broadcaster with at least 90% coverage of the USA, Germany, Japan, and Italy etc. The artists will simply have to charge royalties on each download – job for the unions.

When the BBC’s charter is replaced in 2007 there are going to be major changes in the way the BBC’s commercial activities are regulated, the details are still being discussed. Consequently what BBC Worldwide Ltd and BBC America Inc will do with this freedom may not been thought through.

Why should I bug the shit out of the BBC over some download quality when I'd rather let them know that as fan I want to see it aired in the US?
It is not the BBC you need to bug but your employer.

Britain thinks of Doctor Who as a family show; its Hollywood that thinks Sci-Fi is for children.

@Colonyearth; I still don't think it's right that you seem to percieve the situation as the BBC are witholding the new Who from American fans. Surely there's a chance that (as we've heard) the American TV Networks (renowned bastions of mediocrity and moronity that they are) are the ones at fault?

Perhaps they're unwilling to pay a reasonable price for some or all of the reasons suggested by A_M_Swallow?

VB

@Colonyearth; I still don't think it's right that you seem to percieve the situation as the BBC are witholding the new Who from American fans. Surely there's a chance that (as we've heard) the American TV Networks (renowned bastions of mediocrity and moronity that they are) are the ones at fault?

Perhaps they're unwilling to pay a reasonable price for some or all of the reasons suggested by A_M_Swallow?

VB

I don't want to get all defensive and pissy here, but has everyone gone braindead?

Not meaning to seem attacking here, but I'm feeling attacked and have no idea why I'm being attacked for stating simple thoughts and posing some logical questions.

Did you actually read what I wrote? All of the words not just some of them?

I never said:

1) That I wasn't willing to gladly wait on any DVD's to be released. I've said I am willing (this includes your settop box thing...and see...it's still a ways off and all of this internet stuff is still way early and filled with industry and insider speculation...I'm talking in the here and now).

2) I'm not wanting to "bug" anyone...and it's always been folks in the UK, not here, that have referred to Dr. Who as a children's show. Believe me (and you don't live here, Andrew, so don't say it's our folks doing this or that...you only see the UK side of things) I found it a shock watching commentaries and featurettes on the Dr. Who DVD's where everyone was talking and talking about it being a children's show. My roommate and I never thought of that way, nor has anyone I've ever known here who loves the show. It was old cast members and producers and such referring to it that way. So...yes, at least the old Dr. Who was most often referred to as a show for kids. It would NEVER be considered for kids here because it's frankly too violent (there's some irony for ya) and quite honestly most of the series would talk over the kids heads here (that I will admitt freely -- our kids ain't very bright, scarecrow). I've always seen the show as non-age specific. Something anyone of any age should be able to enjoy and have a ball with. So. yes, in all of the literature and behind the scenes material, the UK production and acting folk have always referred to Dr. Who as a children's show...no one in the US has. I was surprised it was categorized as such by those in the UK.

3) I NEVER said the BBC was withholding the show to anger americans and that that's just wrong. You've completely missed my point. From a business aspect, given things I've read that BBC people, themselves, have said about the US market and what they needed to make this show a success financially, etc., it seems to me to be a misstep not to sell the show to the US market by now....or at least have made some form of announcement. The last official word from the BBC about it was that they a) saw the US as a crucial and important market for the show and knew that the US held millions of fans and b) had a plan in the works for airing the show in the US but were not ready to announce as of yet.

That was all prior to the first season airing, however, and they've been mum ever since.

Could something have gone wrong? Yes. Could they have altered their plans? Yes.

My point is this...if you know a market is lucrative and you need to break into it, especially to help in the cost of your show, then why stay mum for so long?

I can get around this problem, but most americans who are fans can't...at least, not without doing it illegally and taking money from the pockets of those who are deserving of it. (Something I, like JMS, am against.) I would rather see the BBC find a way to air it here in some way, so everyone is getting their fair share. My way, at least someone there is watching and recording for me...being counted as at least one ratings point.

It baffles me that they have not only seemingly drug their heals on the US marketing of Dr. Who, but that they have been so quiet about it. All any fan would like to hear is that they are on the situation and still fully plan to bring the new Dr. Who to the US market. Which is, as I've said all along...smart business, as it is a very large market that could give them some considerable income.

You can read that as me being some arrogant american. In such a case, then I'd say you don't know me very well and have never really read my posts on this forum. I am by no means a snobbish american...but am, in fact, quite the opposite.

I am merely stating a fact. The US is a very large country with lots of expendable cashflow that has one of the largest Who fanbases in the world. Why would anyone not take advantage of that?

Let's take the patriotic dren out of this conversation, please...no one here is trying to put themselves or their country above the other (at least, I'm not). If you think I am, I'm sorry, that's not what I'm saying...thus returning us to my first thoughts...have you actually read my posts? Did you read this one?

If other countries have coughed up the cash for Dr. Who, I don't see why, out of 100's of cable stations, no one here would do the same. Is the Beeb asking a larger price for the US market? Maybe. But given the overwhelming success of the show in the worldwide markets in which it's playing, I find it very hard to buy that there is no one in the US willing or wanting to get in on such ratings.

Let's face it, the show's a hit...and it deserves to be one...it's wonderful. Which is why I find it baffling that it's not here yet. It's win-win all around.

Finally, allow me state ONE MORE TIME for everyone. I'm not talking in reference to myself or my needs as I do have a region free player and can buy the DVD's. I have a friend (at least probably through series two) who lives in the UK and is recording it to DVD for us (though I still plan to buy the DVD boxed set once it's out). If it were on here, I'd support it fully and watch it (that way my voice and viewership would be counted and I want it to be counted).

No one is saying it's animocity on anyone's part, whether here or there. I'm simply lost as to why no one has even acknowledged the situation for months and at least let folks know what's going on. That some decision is pending, be patient. Again, not for me. For the hope and future of keeping Who popular worldwide, including the US, and on the air for years to come.

If you have anymore questions or misunderstandings as to what I'm trying to say or mean...please, ask me for clarification in the future...don't jump my shit. I was never trying to jump anyone else's, just trying to query and question and see what folks thought.

That is all....

CE

Which is also why I cannot see them authorizing illegal downloads which take money from their pockets.

Have you tried a video output card? I have one of those (though mine has been acting wonky lately), have it connected to the TV as well as the auxillary output of my soundcard to the TV, the result is quite satisfying for me, don't really enjoy watching stuff on my computer :D .. though it's possible that the lack of quality might be more noticable on better TVs / systems than the one I use, a 28 inch 4:3 CRT TV without a 5.1 system or anything comparable to that - though in general, I have experienced that Video files played over TV out look better on the TV than on the monitor, not vice versa, just due to TVs having a much lower resolution if we're not talking HDTV. Also, TVs usually do much better with contrast, brightness, white balance and all those other nice things without being given specific instructions :D

There is of course the question of cable, which luckily is possible for me due to having manifactured a small hole in the wall between this room and the room with the TV :D

This is what the FAQ on the Dr Who website says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/
America and Overseas
So far, the new series has been bought by Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.
No American broadcaster has purchased the show. BBC America is unlikely to show it - because the BBC is paid for by a licence fee paid by British TV-owning citizens, and we have a duty to get the best value for their money. Please don't email us about this - we're just a UK-based website.

also

I'm outside the UK - why can I only get narrowband video?
Currently, the BBC only sends broadband video to license payers within the UK.

I don't like RealPlayer. Why do you use it?
For rights reasons, the BBC is limited to offering only streaming video - mostly through Real Player, but we're also experiment with Windows Media. We know neither is ideal, but no piece of software is. There are no plans to adopt streaming Quicktime or MPEGs.

@Colony Earth - wowza, must have hit a nerve, sorry.

Thing is, points 1 and 2 of your response have zip to do with what I said, but anyway...

My point is simply this; your posts seem to suggest that the only reason Dr Who isn't being aired in America, is because the BBC hasn't sold it to anyone there. My position is that maybe (and it is just a maybe...) the problem is rather that no-one in America has *bought* it. I.e. the problem might *not* lie with the BBC, and perhaps another course of action might be to put pressure on American networks to pick it up.

I don't see any of that as unreasonable? If you do...then we'll have to agree to disagree.

VB

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back