• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

dr.who

Re: Missing Dr Who?

I have seen the whole season 1 .
and i could understand why infact american networks
havent picked it up- if that is the case , doctor who , specifically this series is very "suggestive" and
quite a few homosexual inferences and jokes appear
wich i think is why that most americans networks would object to .they seem a bit homophobic .
also i have heard you can be quite funny about black cast going out with white cast members (in the context of the show) sounds a bit racist to me ...

@Colony Earth - wowza, must have hit a nerve, sorry.

Thinking about it, I suspect that Colony Earth is not actually talking about Doctor Who but is using it as some form of weird metaphor.

So what is he actually talking about?
Terrorist attacks on London?
The War on Terror?
BBC news/the British refusing to put on a highly entertaining display of emotion over the tube bombs?
Sky News refusing to fund one of his projects?
British TV has been showing many documentaries about Al Qaeda recently. Have they been refusing to sell them?

Failing to sell some other drama programme?
Not funding his next drama?

Something else?

Perhaps the networks most likely to want Dr. Who think it's crap. And having an automatically guaranteed small, cult following won't pay the bills if the show has too high a price tag.

My DVD player is relatively new and working perfectly. I have no intention of buying a new DVD player so I can buy region 2 DVD's.

So, I'll just wait. :)

You probably don't have to wait. Most any DVD player can be made region free by simply entering the codes with the remote. Exactly how to do this can be found on web sites that list hacks for many DVD players, by brand and model. So, have you figured out what model you have yet? :D Kribu found such a site for me, and posted it here, almost two years ago.

As to why the Dr. isn't on in the US yet, I can only speculate, but I will do so... The BBC has a hit, and justly considers it a valuable property. The US is probably the biggest, richest, potential market. So, the Beeb wants a pretty penny for the broadcast rights. But, the US cable channels, and networks, that should be interested consider it a British, cult thing that used to play on PBS a couple of decades ago. So, they think it has limited appeal, and isn't worth anything like what the BBC wants for it, and probably don't want to program it anyway. The exception to this is PBS, but they have had lots of funding problems lately, and probably can't afford it. As I said, just my guesses.

The comment made in the "hack" section refers to the pounds required to buy the special remote. :LOL:

Ah, well, I found an unlucky brand.

I also checked out where I could find the 'special remote' and the first places that came up were all in the U.K. If I really ever want to see "Blake's 7" I guess I'll just have to order an English remote. :)

"This remote will upgrade one recorder only . Orders will be taken via Credit or Debit card at a price of £20.00 + VAT ( £23.50 ) including worldwide shipping , please read our Remote Recycling Policy HERE.

Please read the instructions for the remote before ordering , they are in PDF format so you may need to download acrobat reader to view them. "

Well, the site Kribu found didn't say anything about special remote controls. My Three year old Philips required burning a disc from the website, and playing it. Buy the 2 year old Philips only needed the same remote that came with it. It is my understanding that most DVD players made today only need their remotes, and the proper sequence, to code to region 0. Sometimes you have to do this with the disc drawer open, sometimes with the player turned off. Depends on the player.

That's the exact site I used to get the information on mine. :)

Eh, I'd watch "Blake's 7" on the computer, if needed, how do you make computer DVD drives region free? :confused:

And it said you need to buy a special remote? :rolleyes: That wasn't necessary for other DVD players I've looked up there.
What brand of DVD player do you have? I will try and avoid buying one...

Well, I don't think Panasonic is a bad brand. Well, not a great one, either, but decent. But, it is inconvenient, at least in this case. I hope making them difficult to hack isn't a trend. At least I could help you out with a new sig... ;)

Ooo, sorry. Sleepy wasn't all that thrilled when I tried to use his post as a signature, either. I'm afraid I'm rude and don't think to ask.

So, do you want me to remove it? :eek:

I don't mind at all. You have used a quote from me in the past. "Inanity is where you find it." :D I meant that since the link didn't help you make your DVD player region free, at least I had helped out in some other way...

There is undeniably something truly surreal about a website with the title ...

A history of Tom Baker's Scarves

:D

But it stops a rival scarf seller dead in her tracks when she writes in her listing something like, 'Tom's scarf was only ever *** feet long. Do not accept anything shorter.'

I just happen to knit the shorter season 14 scarf, which is a nice wearable length of nine feet.

2) I'm not wanting to "bug" anyone...and it's always been folks in the UK, not here, that have referred to Dr. Who as a children's show. Believe me (and you don't live here, Andrew, so don't say it's our folks doing this or that...you only see the UK side of things) I found it a shock watching commentaries and featurettes on the Dr. Who DVD's where everyone was talking and talking about it being a children's show. My roommate and I never thought of that way, nor has anyone I've ever known here who loves the show. It was old cast members and producers and such referring to it that way. So...yes, at least the old Dr. Who was most often referred to as a show for kids. It would NEVER be considered for kids here because it's frankly too violent (there's some irony for ya) and quite honestly most of the series would talk over the kids heads here (that I will admitt freely -- our kids ain't very bright, scarecrow). I've always seen the show as non-age specific. Something anyone of any age should be able to enjoy and have a ball with. So. yes, in all of the literature and behind the scenes material, the UK production and acting folk have always referred to Dr. Who as a children's show...no one in the US has. I was surprised it was categorized as such by those in the UK.

SciFi = children's entertainment. I will put it this way; Hollywood is very good at blasting its views across the world.

As for Doctor Who being a children's programme - although it is a drama, the Children’s Department at the BBC made the original series. Adults watching significantly improved the viewing figures.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back