• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Would SFC need to add more hours of original programming to pick up RANGERS?

Maybe someone who watches the Sci-Fi Channel more than I do could help me out with this question. My understanding is that the SFC generally has six hours of original programming a week--Invisible Man, Farscape, and Lexx on Friday and First Wave, The Chronicle, and Outer Limits on Saturday. Has the fate of each of those shows for next year been determined yet? SFC is also picking up Stargate SG1. In order to also add Rangers for Summer 2002 would it need to add more hours for original programming, or might some of the aforementioned shows be cancelled by then?

------------------

Firs Wave is cancelled, and neither Lexx or Outer Limits are supposed to last beyond their current season. However, the SciFi channel has been growing a lot lately, and I don't think it unlikely that they'll try increasing their amount of original programing.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

I agree with drakh. They're trying to grow a real network, not a graveyard where old SF series go when they die.

The real question comes down to how much money they have to fund new shows. They just picked up Stargate SG-1, which carries a fairly hefty price tag. I think I read 1.3 million per ep. Or am I misremembering?

As much as I like it, I'd hate to have one or two more seasons of SG-1 and not have five years of Rangers. (or seven. Who said it had to be a five year arc?)

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

If Sci-fi currently runs six hours of original programming and Lexx, The Outer Limits and First Wave are not up for new seasons, that leaves three hours open in their current schedule.

Sci-fi is picking up Star Gate, and I heard that they would be showing the new Battlestar Galatica. So, that accounts for two of the three hours.

That leaves me with three questions. What will they fill the remaining slot in their current schedule with? That is assuming that they keep the format they are using now. Will they try to launch another night of original programming, bringing their count up to nine hours? How many of these shows would they be buying off the shelf, if any?

------------------
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."
-Jonathan Swift

"Good in theory...
Lousy in practice...
It implies that I am expendable. I am many things. I am bright, personable, charismatic and not a bad dancer but expendable? No."

"What you regard as inconsequential dental forms are in fact more, much more. They are in fact symbols, symbols of America.
Although the world will little note nor long remember what we do today in these hallowed halls. I tell you this with no degree of uncertainty. That forms filed in triplicate are the very foundation of democracy.
Why do we file Robert?
Why?
One word. Freedom..."

"I love the smell of toner in the morning."

[This message has been edited by Frizzell (edited August 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Frizzell (edited August 17, 2001).]

I heard that they will still have the syndication deal going with Stargate, too. This means that the new eps. will air in syndication a few weeks or months (not sure which one) after they air on SFC.

Do you know anything about this Joe DM, the Man Who Knows All?
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Sci-fi is picking up Star Gate, and I heard that they would be showing the new Battlestar Galatica. So, that accounts for two of the three hours.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Galactica is one of those hybrid network-cable co-production deals like Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Fox gets to air the Galactica episodes first, and Sci-Fi airs the same episode either later the same week or early the following week. The few such deals that I've read about all require that the cable channel air their episodes outside of primetime. (USA Network runs L&O: SVU at 11 PM on Sundays, as I recall.)

So Galactica may not take a primetime slot on Sci-Fi. There is also the possibility that they're building toward adding another night of original programming, an idea that Bonnie Hammer has mentioned as being one of her mid- to long-range goals for a couple of years now.

Sorry, have no idea what is up with Stargate or what affect the network change might have on the existing syndication deal.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Another thing to consider is that Sci-fi likes to rotate their original airing programs around so that for a few months Lexx will air and then they'll switch to showing another show like 'Black Scorpion' or 'Adventures of Jules Verne.' Then after those shows go through their run they switch to something else. I honestly can't remember how many shows they have had made over the past year or two trying to find something that clicks with audiences.

------------------
"It taught us you have to create the future...
Or someone will do it for us...."
-Ivanova (SiL)

the new Battlestar Gallactica show also won't be out till like 2003 (according to Cinescape that is).

------------------
Noone here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Well, if Scifi.com can be any indicator, they've bought a whole slug of novels to be adapted to the small screen. The Earthsea saga and The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGwyn (spelling?) they bought the recent Mars trilogy, they bought Riverworld with Alex Proyaz, (aka Dark City, The Crow, writer-director) set to produce(that's the one I'm looking forward to), and they got the "A Tale of Two Cities" scifi adaptation they're working on just recently.
Even if, they space these suckers out over a few years and skim the budget by using CGI, it'll still cost them a pretty penny.

Then let's not forget Children of Dune, their cinematic jewel, which they'll definitly binge in cost so they can make it.

So I say, they got a full billing. I think they could afford dumping a few mediocre series here or there... But if they touch Farscape, I-Man, SG-1, or Rangers, I swear to God!!!......... OOOGGHH! They'd get me so MAD!

------------------
"A plan is just a list of things that don't happen."
-'Parker' (Way of the Gun)

What about Earth:Final conflict?
I thought I read somewhere that scifi was going to air future seasons?
or, am I just a little odd
smile.gif

------------------
"I am the state"
Napoleon

I watch the sci-fi channel a lot since i like most of the shows on it. This is the story of there lineup at the moment

Invisible Man-I havent heared anything but im sure it will go on since it gets pretty good ratings

Farscape-Will keep going for at least 1 more year. The plan from the start was 5 seasons and they are only on 3, then they said they may want to do a movie. Not to mention Starting August 27th they are going to re-air every episode from the start Monday-Thurs at 8 PM EST

Outer Limits-Not supposed to go past this season, but they are going to reair episodes Monday-Thur at 9 PM EST

First Wave-Only a few episodes left. They could re-air the series from the start in its slot until next year

The Chronicle-Im sure this will be around for a while. After good ratings sci-fi just completed a order for a full season. not to mention i love this show :)I hope it last a long long long time

Lexx-Not supposed to last much longer

Earth Final Conflict-Airing from Start Mon-Thurs at 10 PM EST

So at least until sometime next year there awesome Mon-Thur Line up is

7 PM-Babylon 5
8 PM-Farscape
9 PM-Outer Limits
10 PM-Earth Final Conflict

Stargate SG-1They picked up a new season, plus they are going to re-air every episode from the start

As mentioned 3 spots on Friday and Sat need to be filled. One of them of course will be Stargate SG-1 new season which i would guess going on Saturday since friday already has 2 shows which are prooven. Which leaves 1 friday and 1 saturday slot to new original shows.

There are a few possibilities i can see happening.
Witchblade could make a movie from TNT if they dont pick it up since its a good show

If i get any more info ill post it

------------------
DS9 and B5. Who would have thought 2 of my fav shows would take place on stations in the middle of nowhere :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckna:
Another thing to consider is that Sci-fi likes to rotate their original airing programs around so that for a few months Lexx will air and then they'll switch to showing another show like 'Black Scorpion' or 'Adventures of Jules Verne.' Then after those shows go through their run they switch to something else. I honestly can't remember how many shows they have had made over the past year or two trying to find something that clicks with audiences.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not that SCI-FI likes to rotate shows around. It's that SCI-FI likes high ratings. Both Jules Verne and Black Scorpion were ratings disasters. They were moved to a spot where they could do least harm and then taken off as quickly as possible. This is the same as any other network would handle such a show.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
I heard that they will still have the syndication deal going with Stargate, too. This means that the new eps. will air in syndication a few weeks or months (not sure which one) after they air on SFC.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first-run rights to Stargate were picked up by SCI-FI channel. Additionally, SCI-FI picked up the rights to rerun the old shows from it's first year beginning in the first quarter of 2002. This does not affect the preexisting syndication deals MGM may have.

Note that syndication comes through MGM not SCI-FI channel. SCI-FI simply picked up broadcast rights. They don't own the show.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Myrl:
they've bought a whole slug of novels to be adapted to the small screen.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These novels are being made into mini-series based on their success with other mini-series like Dune. They don't affect the prime time weekend schedules except in so much as there is only so much money to invest in new shows of any sort and they cost a fair amount to produce. OTOH, if their results are like Dune, they may be able to charge more for the ads. Dune had ratings almost 3 times larger than Farscape in its first run.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

[This message has been edited by ala (edited August 20, 2001).]

The Question itself is, in some ways, the wrong question.

For SciFi, having it's own original series is the prime goal. Because that's where the real money is. Re-running other people's shows is just a bit cheaper, though.

Like most cable channels, they don't have a lot of money to toss around, so they have to build up their war chest slowly. The original stuff they do is all they can Afford to do.

So, the questions should be:
When will they have the Money for more original series.
And How Much money will they have?
One new show? Two? Three?

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Someone else on this board put it nicely: I forget who (please credit yourself)

'They don't want to be the channel where old sci-fi shows go when they die...'

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Channe
That was me (& thanks!).
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>They're trying to grow a real network, not a graveyard where old SF series go when they die. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was refering to shows whose time is past: Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, etc. But after thinking about it, it could easily apply to shows like Sliders and Stargate SG-1, which Sci-Fi snatches from oblivion. Even though are nearing the end of their life cycle, they can still get a couple of seasons out of them before the Long Night falls...

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The real question comes down to how much money they have to fund new shows. They just picked up Stargate SG-1, which carries a fairly hefty price tag. I think I read 1.3 million per ep. Or am I misremembering?

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If B5 and Crusade were anything to go by, Rangers eps will be quite a bit cheaper... what's previously been done in the B5 universe came out at $500,000 per ep or so.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarpPig:
If B5 and Crusade were anything to go by, Rangers eps will be quite a bit cheaper... what's previously been done in the B5 universe came out at $500,000 per ep or so.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Babylon 5 was $800 000 per episode
Crusade was $850 000 per episode

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

I really, really like what Sci-Fi does for failing shows, shows that are really quite good but don't have the chutzpah to stand in the secular media.

Without Sci-Fi, we'd never see those shows again.

But at the same time, that's not all they can do... I'd love for them to keep a healthy balance.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Back