• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Worries; young actors, no ads...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
In fact I believe that (with the exception of First Ones) characters of a certain age are best played by actors of the same age.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tell that to people running Buffy/Angel... The actress who plays Cordelia is 31 years old!

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know, you're starting to become the master of snippage to support your own
arguments, and in doing so, stepping on my last nerve.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:

Speaking of “snippage”, let’s look at your remarks in context:

Babylon5 had all old, mature adults with great deep voices for yelling and talking
seriousely. Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins? I loved B5 for that reason; no kids, no teens, all adults.
Same here! A bunch of young, virtually unknown actors as regulars? Seems kinda weak, but maybe they'll surprise us. -- emphasis added -- J.D.

So, you agreed with a very negative statement about the young actors, then added a very half-hearted “maybe” they’ll “surprise” us. (“Surprise” indicating that your expectation is that they’ll be bad, since you’ll be surprised if they’re good.) I dealt with the main thrust of what you said, not the afterthought.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the general sentiment of the original poster. Then, I toned it down with
"kinda weak" which is not "as weak" as the original poster hinted at. The "maybe
they'll surprise us" ties in with your comment about the B5 cast being not very well known. Since B5 turned out great, why not B5:LotR? Also, often the way a statement is left, is the most important thing, the meaning that's meant to be conveyed. I left it on a positive note. I guess I should have put a
smile.gif
after "surprise us."

When I first saw the B5 pilot, I knew Andreas from TNG, Next of Kin, and The Fugitive. … I knew Claudia from The Hidden, Bruce from Tron, Scarecrow, various westerns…
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

As with the basic cable question, you are using your own personal experience as the
“measure of all things.” For most viewers most of the B5 cast –especially for the
pilot and the first season – was virtually unknown. If you watched Dawson’s Creek or
lived in Canada you would likely have seen most of the Rangers actors.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. The original poster is probably from Canada (hence his "our Canadian Space Station"). Well, maybe he doesn't watch Dawson's Creek. No, I don't watch it either. I'm not in it's demographic. I suspect a majority of people in the US and Canada aren't in it's demographic either.

2. Some of the films and series I mentioned are fairly well known in the US and Canada. I'm reasonably sure that the B5 cast would be considered to be more well known right before the B5 pilot, compared to the B5:LotR cast right before their pilot, although the differences in popularity may be closer than I first suspected.

Oh, for crying out loud, there are people in this country (the U.S.A.) who could get
the Sci-Fi channel, i.e. it is available to them but they don't subscribe to it at the
moment. It is in their power to change that condition by subscribing to the channel.

WARNING: Argument may have shifted in flight. On the moderated newsgroup you argued that the whole problem with the Sci-Fi Channel is that it wasn’t a “basic cable”
channel (it is in many parts of the country), and that too many people who could get it didn’t because it cost too much. Now a couple of billboards are going to overcome
this reluctance. OK. But are enough of those people going to change their minds to
make a difference?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they don't know the show is there, how are they going to be tempted to pony up for
the channel to see it?

On the moderated group we were talking about ads. on the Sci-Fi channel, and I was
saying that's not enough, because some people do not have Sci-Fi in the channel
package they currently are paying for. If they saw ads. (not just TV ads.) for stuff that's going to be coming on Sci-Fi, they might be tempted to get the channel package that has it. You need ads. outside the channel, and preferrable outside TV entirely (print ads.) to lure them in.

Where did I say I know this? I suspect this.

OK, I’ll rephrase the question. Instead of “And you know this, how?” let’s try, “And
you suspect this, why?” I’m still waiting to see some kind of factual basis for your
assumption that Sci-Fi is going to ignore the movie.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say "ignore." I said I suspect they'll just run a few short ads. a few days
prior to the movie, and likely they'll only be on Sci-Fi, and it'll get lost amongst
the holiday stuff.

I've seen relatively few Sci-Fi channel ads. on other channels, except USA, the sister
station to Sci-Fi. However, I have seen lots of ads. from other stations on the
Sci-Fi channel, among them, regrettably those obnoxious "TNT Knows Drama" ads. If you watch Sci-Fi a lot, there's virtually no getting away from those things.
frown.gif

(By the way, I notice that you’ve switched your target from Warner Bros. to Sci-Fi
since you found out who is responsible for the advertising.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you said Sci-Fi was responsible for the advertising.

Your whole previous case – a shaky one – was against Warner Bros. and based on their
alleged “history” of not supporting the show.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Warner Brothers was really supporting B5, we'd already have season packs of DVDs. We'd probably be up to Season 3 by now. Where are we? We don't even have the pilot yet, and won't for almost three more months.

How did this “history” get transferred to Sci-Fi all of a sudden?)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How am I doing that? I'm just saying that Sci-Fi needs to advertise outside their
channel, and preferrably outside TV to reach new viewers, if they want to grow the B5
franchise, and their channel as a result.

Alright, now it's my turn. How do you know that this isn't an effective way to promote
TV shows? If it hasn't been done, how do you know that it won't work? You're assuming
that because you've never seen them, that it's never been done and/or it never worked.

I’m playing the percentages here. I think the likelihood of your coming up with an
effective marketing scheme that none of the professionals in the TV biz have hit on in
the past 50 years is statistically small, just as the likelihood of my coming up with
one is.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe so, but what does it cost to try? How much money would they be risking on such
a venture? Sure, they might be laughed at, and they might find it embarrassing, but
they could say the fans asked for it and they thought they'd try it as a lark. If it
worked, I'm sure nobody would be laughing.

This is how things get invented sometimes.
Somebody will see a need, and think up a solution that's obvious to him/her, but that
nobody else sees.

I don’t think either of us knows enough about marketing in general or TV marketing in particular to pull that off.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The money risked in the test case would be minimal. However, the conventional
thinking is that it'll never work. Sometimes, you have to try new things. Then you may be pleasantly surprised at the result. The risk is low. Why not try?

Sometimes it takes somebody who is not in the business to see something from an angle
that the pros have never really considered, or dismissed out of hand.

As bakana noted, a certain amount of this stuff is done at conventions and the like,
and all sorts of goodies like posters and coffee mugs are handed out to advertisers
and others to promote shows.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to the general convention attendees, the fans? Like I said, I'd pay Warner
Brothers or Sci-Fi for 'em. I just don't want to foot the bill for a bulk purchase
just to get my own. Wouldn't other fans like to see Warner Brothers or Sci-Fi back our efforts to support the B5 universe shows. Such promotional materials provided to fans would show such backing. Right now, I publicly back the show out in the real world, and it'd be nice to have something official looking (not homemade looking) to put on my rear bumper or rear window.

I made a design in Photoshop and printed it on transparancy film, but I have to stick it to the inside of the windows with tape. Boy does that look homemade (the adhesion method not the graphic). Sheesh! I'd never go to this trouble for any show but one in the B5 universe.

But a studio sending out bumper stickers to promote a TV movie? Doesn’t sound likely,
and I can’t recall it being done. I suspect that someone would have tried it, or done
a bit of market research to see if it is feasible, sometime between the advent of
television and today, though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not just to promote a TV movie. This TV movie is connected to the B5 universe. If
there was just the B5:LotR movie and there was nothing else in the B5 universe
available to watch, I'd say you're right. However, that is not the case. If people
watch the B5:LotR movie, it's likely that they'll want to watch the rest of the stuff
in the B5 universe. When you first saw B5 episode, didn't it make you want to watch
another? B5 is kind of like a Lay's Potato Chip, that way, unless the viewer is
determined not to like it.

That was TNT. I'm talking about, Sci-Fi, NOW, not TNT in the past. There's no reason
to suspect that Sci-Fi will do as TNT did.

And no reason to suspect that they won’t, especially if Rangers becomes a series.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "Rangers becomming a series" doesn't figure into it. We're talking about
promotional material for the pilot, not the series.

They’ve certainly put a serious promotional effort behind Farscape and Lexx. And
Sci-Fi isn’t doing anything now because the movie won’t air until next January.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. You've got to think ahead. It would take time for Sci-Fi to generate the commercials and promotional materials. Even if they started now, they'd have nothing for us fans before November.

2. If they did do stuff that we fans could buy from them (like bumperstickers or
window decals), it's best for us to have the materials well in advance of the air
date. The longer we have the stuff, the more people are going to see them. If we get the materials a few days before the airdate, it's a waste.

A smiley with a sarcastic remark, good one.

Glad you liked it. Look, the technique is called reductio ad absurdum – taking an
argument to its logical (and absurd) conclusion. They always tend to sound a bit
sarcastic. The smiley was there to indicate that I didn’t mean it maliciously. It was
an invitation for you to laugh along with me when you saw where your argument was
headed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, that wasn't how I took it. It looked like you were trying to be sarcastic to me,
but appear to the rest of the group like you weren't being sarcastic. That way it'd
look like I was unreasonable for being
mad.gif
about it.

Why, immediately?

Well, according to your argument, there won’t any advertising until late December. So in your scenario these billboards are going to go up only a few days before the movie airs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, no, no. The billboards should go up at least a month before the air date,
and stay up past the airdate of the last rerun (I hope they'll air it more than
once.). The promotional materials that we fans should be able to buy should be made
available immediately, for the most exposure days.

I was just saying that if a potential fan sees the billboard, they don't have to run
home and call their cable company immediately (unless they see the billboard a couple of days before the airdate of course. Then, they better get their butts moving.).

If I see an ad., out in the real world (i.e. not on the tube), often I make a note of
it, or just remember it (visually), and take care of it later. Sometimes, I put a
reminder (with alarm) in my PDA (I do this with trailers I see at the movies, a lot.)

See “measure of all things” above. You can’t assume that a large part of the potential
audience shares your personal habits. And Sci-Fi certainly can’t make that assumption.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I doubt I'm the only one who makes a note.

If you see the billboards, and/or other promotional materials repeatedly in your
everyday life, you're more likely to have it stick in your mind, than if there were no
billboards or other promotional material for you to see.

"one shot TV movies"? Sounds like you're assuming it's going to fail.

No, I’m trying to see this from Sci-Fi’s point of view. Until they make a decision to
go to series, a one-shot movie is all that Rangers is. If they really plan to wait
until the ratings are in before making that decision, then they will advertise and
promote as they would any other TV movie on their network.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think that Sci-Fi views it as a separete entity, and that advertising for it won't
bring increased viewership to B5 or the rest of it's shows? That might be the case
with TNT, but not with Sci-Fi. The person who tunes in and likes the B5:LotR movie is
likely to hang around and watch the other shows.

Only if they want people to find about it and watch it. If they want it to fail, and
slide into oblivion, they should continue on their present course.

What “present course”? The one that you’re imagining, where they don’t do any
advertising until December 30th?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one where all they do is put a few ads. on Sci-Fi, probably starting around 12/17 or 12/24.

Their “present course” is that they aren’t advertising in September a TV movie that
won’t air until January. You know what? Nobody else is advertising their January TV
movies now either.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not TV commercials, no. However, there's more to it than TV commercials, or at least
there should be. Some other stuff can be done more cheaply, further in advance.

And why would they want a TV movie that they’ve spent several million dollars on, from a producing team that they’ve been wanting to work with since 1998, to fail?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, you were the one who said they wouldn't be putting a lot of effort into
advertising a one-shot TV movie, that they wouldn't bother doing much beyond the TV
commercials.

Your words:

When and if Rangers becomes a series, Sci-Fi will promote it. They'll have a major
stake in the show's success and every reason in the world to want people to watch it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me that indicates that you think that Sci-Fi does not have a major stake in the
pilot movie, and wouldn't do a lot to promote it, that they'd only really get into
promoting it, after it becomes a series.

I've seen plenty of X-Files and Millenium promotion, off-network, in the past. e.g.
billboards and bus-side ads.

By “off-network” I meant, “on other TV channels.” If I’d meant “off-television”, I
would have said so.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, that's a nit-pick. If something is off television it is "off-network."

X-Files is a hit show on a broadcast network that reaches millions more homes than
Sci-Fi even can since most people don’t need cable to watch it. They also have many
times the advertising budget of Sci-Fi.
Millenium is a show that Fox had reason to hope would be hit, so it also made sense to
advertise it heavily. B5 has never been a hit by any stretch of the imagination.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't B5 get numbers similar to Farscape on Sci-Fi? Sci-Fi did billboards and bus
sides for Farscape (although only in the big metro areas, and I guess Pittsburgh isn't
big enough).

So you're saying with the pilot movie for B5:LotR, Sci-Fi has no major stake in it's
success, and really couldn't care less if people watch it???

NO, that’s not what I’m saying – as you know perfectly well because in the very next
line, which you quote in your own message, I say that they will promote the TV movie
for exactly the same reason. (Talk about selective “snippage”…)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See "Your words:" above.

I suspect they won't advertise the pilot much, especially outside of a couple of short TV ads. on Sci-Fi, a few days before 01/02/2002, and it'll be lost among the "holiday" stuff that is on at that time of year.

Again, based on what? Warner Bros.’s perceived “lack of support” for the show, now magically transferred to SFC? It certainly can’t be based on a look at the kind of promotion they’ve done for the other original TV movies and mini-series they’ve aired. Or on the initial airings of the B5 reruns, for that matter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, cut the "magically transferred to Sci-Fi" line will ya? You said it's Sci-Fi's
responsibility to take care of the advertising. I changed based upon what you said.

What I said means exactly what it says, that Sci-Fi won't do much beyond a few TV
commercials on their channel. You don't think they will (or should) do
billboards, or stuff for the fans as advertising for this TV movie. If they really wanted to promote the movie, they'd see that the fans are a resource that is on their side. Hell, we've been trying to get our friends to watch B5 for years.
There have been many threads about it. You'd think that Sci-Fi or Warner Brothers or somebody would realize that we're on their side and we want to see the show and the B5 universe succeed. We have faith in JMS that the show will be good, and we'd
like to bring in more viewers to watch it. What is so wrong with that?

Watch it, he'll start believing his own press, and have to invest in a whole new set
of hats.

Thank you for your concern. Actually, I almost never wear hats.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not your B5 or Crusade hats? You should be ashamed.
smile.gif

Until I got my B5 and Crusade hats, I didn't wear hats either (unless it was below -20F with a decent wind chill, and then I wore a hat).
smile.gif

Look, I’ve been out here for a long time. I’m recognizable because I use my real name
on every site rather than a different nick everywhere, so I’m easy to remember. I make
an effort to get my facts straight. When I’m proven wrong I acknowledge it. And I have
people like Alyson to keep me honest.
People tend to put stock in what I say on factual matters because I have a track
record. That is flattering, but it doesn’t make me over-estimate my importance in the
grand scheme of things.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear. However, you're getting treated like G'Kar. Soon, there will be statues.
smile.gif

I'm KoshN here and on Sci-Fi, macthevorlon on Yahoo Save-Crusade2X. I use my real name on the usenets.

On other groups he's already been credited with posting info. that I actually
provided.

I’m not aware of this, but I hope you corrected whoever made the mistake. It was
probably an innocent one. Anyway, I didn’t think this was a competitive game where we
try to “scoop” each other.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it was on Sci-Fi.com and like I said I didn't bother. I didn't care too much who
got thanked for the info, as long as the info. got "out there" to the fans in need.

It was that, and the fawning over there, and then the fawning over here, that finally
got me torqued.

Whoa, glad I could finally snip something.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for the new series
"Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2, 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited September 08, 2001).]

I have Been reading posts on this board since the iste first went on line, although I have not read nearly enough. I think it is sad that people can't have a discussion without resorting to this kind of behavior, and since when did posting info on boards, or having a discussion turn into a highly competive sport. JoeD is one of the main reasons that I come to this board. Being somewhat new to the franchise, having only started watching about a year ago, I find JoeD's posts to be reliable and informative. He knows more than I can ever hope to know about B5 and I value his insight. I do disagree with him on some points, but I recognize that his opinions are as valid as mind and most likly more valid.
smile.gif
I just felt that I had to add this even though it feeds in to the adversary paradigm nonsence that I am critiquing

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

Don't worry, they have simply found a rather long hair to split. I'm sure they'll get it done after a while... or agree to disagree.
smile.gif

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
Don't worry, they have simply found a rather long hair to split. I'm sure they'll get it done after a while... or agree to disagree.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any longer and that post will become a new life form. Too unwieldy to comment on anymore (and keep the formatting straight).
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2, 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Hello. I am new to this, but I have read many of your commentaries, and I found MOST of them quite informative, and intelligent. My two favorites shows are B5 and Farscape, and its nice to know that other people appreciate the level of care (acting, writing, directing) that go into these amazing shows.

It's funny how people can post something so amazingly intelligent, and then come back to post something both offending and moronic. My older brother just graduated NYU tisch acting school (one of the top twoin the US), and streight out found a job (Citizen Baines on CBS--he plays one of the sister's boyfriends). How would he have found a job if everyone only relied on older more experienced actors. Also, on your theory that older actors are "more talented", how do you think these famous actors started? Oh yes---They did start somewhere! Shock Shock. Prob. on some cheap show, or as a supporting actor maybe on a show like Citizen Baines? Experience doesn't equal talent, and if you look back on the greats--DeNiro, Redford, Nicholson, Coppola, Speilberg(both directing), Arnofsky(pi)--their first or breakout roles are sometimes their most powerful. Taxi Driver, Close Encounter of the Third Kind? Oh yeah those sucked. If you don't give these actors a chance--knock them down before they get a chance, we'll be left with a field of aging more "experienced" actors, who can't walk without a cane(think Mr. Connery). Please post more respectable comments.

tongue.gif

------------------
"There is no memory with less satisfaction in it than the memory of some temptation we resisted."
-Harlan Ellison quoting James Branch Cabell

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emfeeli:
If you don't give these actors a chance--knock them down before they get a chance, we'll be left with a field of aging more "experienced" actors, who can't walk without a cane(think Mr. Connery). Please post more respectable comments.

tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wanna see Sean as 007 in a walker!
laugh.gif

Hell, after that marathon posting session, I'm going to need one to get outta my chair!
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2, 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited September 08, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Watch it, he'll start believing his own press, and have to invest in a whole new set of hats. On other groups he's already been credited with posting info. that I actually provided.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to insist on seeing praise for someone else as insults to you, you'd better invest in a large umbrella.

It's gonna be rainin' all the time...

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:
Unfortunately, I dont have the current time to go on like KoshN did, but I agree 100% with him. As I said in my other post, Joe has lost alot of respect I had for him, after such comments that Star Wars is a hit by chance, by a fluke, by "luck".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is not what he said. What he said was that JMS was a better writer and producer and supported his statements with examples of what he meant. Something you apparently cannot be bothered with.

You never answered my questions above either.
Arguing by broad implication is not often persuasive, if that is your goal.

Ro

------------------

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited September 08, 2001).]

Pardon me, did I walk into a kindergarten class? Did Antony start a new "kid's korner" forum that I wasn't aware of?

Grow up. All of you.

"Oh, there are no bumper stickers. Boo-hoo-hoo. Joe D's being a meany, Wah! I'm gonna tell my mommy!."

You people are whining more than my little sister when I wouldn't buy her the new N-Sync poster.

I find it a little arrogant that people are judging on how a network is promoting its own show. Do you have people outside of your workplace telling you how to do your job?

It is not yet time to advertise. January is a while away. Quit judging things that haven't happened yet.

On the same token, quit judging the movie or potential series which you haven't seen yet.

Some of you know that I, the mighty GKarsEye, am highly critical, negative, and harsh, but I least I have the decency to wait until I see the damn thing I'm criticising.

And what's with all the Joe D praising/bashing? Since when is it his responsibility to be liked or 100% correct all the time? The fact is, he provides lots of info from his fervant (dare I say obsessive?) postings, readings, communications, whatever. So now you're pissed that he may have been off a few times? What is he, the fucking Encyclopedia Babylonica? He's as entitled to be a dick sometimes, or to be incorrectly perceived as one, as the rest of us.

Take this absurdity, multiply it by, like, a gazillion, and that's the kind of shit that JMS has to put up with? It's amazing he didn't just fold the whole operation up and get a nice quiet job at a 7-11.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

[This message has been edited by GKarsEye (edited September 08, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarrenGG:
Well, I DO think young actors are capable of deep performances. But they do NOT have experience. God what am I even doing? I never said they are bad or anything, I just said it was a little worry!

From your opening post on this thread:

Babylon5 had all old, mature adults with great deep voices for yelling and talking seriousely. Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins? I loved B5 for that reason; no kids, no teens, all adults.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins?"

This by you is not an insult? When similar questions are applied to you (which was the point of my post, btw) you certainly seemed insulted.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Here you are twisting my words to say that young actors are a doomsday device. I am simply worried because no matter how much schooling they had on acting, they dont have experience, and I enjoyed the B5 universie with older adults. It is a change, and Im simply wondering and worrying if itll be good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm expecting you to be accountable for what you write. I asked you questions designed to highlight and clarify what you implied, which was that younger actors = inferior performances.

I used you yourself as a starting point, because frankly, you do sound young. I think you should be willing to measure yourself with the same yardstick you apply to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Also, to go into the age question is simply pathetic. Nothing beats playing a game or chatting in a forum and somebody goes, "How old are you? 12? 18?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I mean, can I even HELP it if I am young? What do you want me to say? Think I can snap my fingers and get older? You were the same age too, so dont think being older makes you better. It isnt an aquired skill, it is something that you simply have because you have been alive longer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand why you think that was the point of my post, but it was not. You are justifiably angry at the implication that youth makes your opinion worth less than someone older. It is the same standard you're applying to the actors, which is why I considered it insulting to them.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Joe D., granted, you are informed about the B5 sitation with ratings, credit and everything of the sort that connects to the show and advertisement, etc. But the self praise isnt a great thing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to read for comprehension, Warren. Joe wasn't praising himself, I and a couple of others were praising him. As I have done with others on this and other boards, particularly Drakh and Bakana, who put a lot of time and thought into their posts. I get a lot out of reading them.

There are, of course, a lot of others to do the same, but I've had occasion to mention these three specifically.

A girl has to get her "fawning" muscles in practice, yanno...
wink.gif

And because Joe does have a track record, backs his opinions up with information, and is willing to admit when he's wrong I stand by what I said.

Ro

------------------

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited September 09, 2001).]

E-Gahd woman! I dont have the patience for all of this. For me to go back and check what everyone said takes long enough, let alone writing essays like KoshN and JoeD have. I dont know why they go through such lengths.

Let me clarify my current standing. I said, in not so many words, that I mixed up my original argument. Saying that young actors dont have experience, or callign them youngins is not an insult. They are youngins in comparison to the original cast. I dont see how any of that is an insult. An insult is disrespecting them directly, in my opinion. Not a question...."Will LR be good with a bunch of youngins..."

Back to my current standing. Young actors are NOT a doomsday device for a series. I love Buffy and Angel, as examples. Young actors do NOT have as much experience. This doesnt mean they are BAD actors, it just means that they dont know as much as others do....to an extent. They may know a TON. All Im saying, CURRENTLY, is that I prefer the older actors for the feel of, as I originally pointed out, their loud voices, ability to yell, look more intimidating, etc.

Joe was reapplying what others said about him over and over to his argument, constantly saying he has a track record and yadda yadda.

Times up, gotta get back to philosophy and history. ttyl in some new argument Roanna and the others.

------------------
It has been my observation that if someone cannot say what they mean, they can truly never mean what they say.

On the young vs old actors conflict. I don't see why it has to be one against the other. WOuld B5 have worked with 20-25 year old actors. Of cource not. 20 year olds do not command space stations or represent governments. It would have been absurd and taken away from the realism of the show. Rangers is a diffrent show however. If you look at who tends to join organizations like the rangers, ie Militaries, Peacecore, and simiolar institutions, they are aged 18-30. For Rangers it makes perfect sence to have young actors. Old actors would not make alot of sence in this case.

Just a Thought

------------------
Scott Gifford

Please pardon the spelling errors, grammer errors and various sarcastic overtures

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I prefer the older actors for the feel of, as I originally pointed out, their loud voices, ability to yell, look more intimidating, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For what it's worth, as people Age their vocal volume DECREASES.
An infant can scream at about the same decibal level as a 747 preparing for takeoff.
By Kindergarten, the same kid can barely manage half that.
It continues to decrease with age.

As far as Intimidating, you have obviously never known anyone Truly Dangerous.
Such people rarely raise their voices.
They don't Need to.

Size doesn't do it either.
The most dangerous person I've ever met was a Woman.
About 5 feet or thereabouts.
Doubt she went over 100 pounds.
But, if you ever got into a Fight with her, you'd better try to Kill her quickly.
Because she's sure as hell be trying to kill YOU.

Her name was Cleo.
She just didn't Care about whatever damage She might be taking, so long as the other person was getting hurt worse.
Only an Idiot messed with Cleo.
Nobody did it Twice.
Once you realized that she wasn't particularly sane, you could probably relax.
So long as you remembered not to get on her bad side, she was a perfectly Nice person.
And fun to drink a beer with.
She knew all the really ugly gossip about everyone.
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

The funny thing is that the only person I can actually remember yelling in B5 was Sheridan. And he didn't look all that intimidating to me.

Well, I suppose that Garibaldi yelled a little as well. And Delenn, a few times. I didn't particularly care for that. <shrugs>

I can certainly live without too much yelling. The more quiet and composed the anger, the more impressive it looks. I enjoyed the silence in B5 a lot more than the loudness - like the scene in No Surrender, No Retreat, when Londo came to G'Kar to try and make up.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "There's only one thing more dangerous than Mr. Garibaldi when he's loud. .. It's when he's dead silent."

Sheridan to Lochley in Babylon 5:"Phoenix Rising" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me.
If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Delenn and Captain Drake in Babylon 5:"Severed Dreams" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was said rather Quietly, too.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited September 10, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back