• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Worker Caste

No, I haven't played D&D for ages (nearly 12 years ago to be exact). I was also going on from what I could remember from The Babylon Project RPG.

IMHO the likely order for which a caste a healer belongs to would be - Worker, Religious, Warrior.

Why put Warrior after Religious? That is because their jobs are more like Fighter pilots, starship pilots, guards, ground pounders - and physical prowess seems to the a big thing among the Warrior caste. Even the few female Warrior Caste we have seen have been fairly butch!

On the other hand the Religious Caste, are teachers and carers, which is a more peaceful type of Minbari. Healers are first and foremost carers, which more likely fits the archtype of a Religious Caste over a Warrior Caste.

Ask any doctor or nurse (and see how Franklin is in B5), they dislike war and things that go with it - Warriors are used for war.

A healer's job is not just to help an injured warrior. They help heal the sick and the infirmed. They look after the elderly. Sure, during the time of war the needs of a healer changes, but so does the job of all. With a 1000 years of peace among the castes, and the fact that even at the height of the Centauri Republic, the Centauri left the Minbari alone, I really don't see a need a culture of the healer being of the Warrior caste. They are more likely to be assigned to Warrior Caste run ship, but similarly they would be needed on a Religious Caste run ship. They serve both the Warrior and Religious, therefore are more likely to be Worker than anything else.

------------------
'We live for The One, We die for The One, but we don't die stupidly' - David Martel B5LR: TLADIS

[This message has been edited by Belran (edited February 06, 2002).]

The abilities and roles of members of the castes are pretty fluid. At one point in the series, Delenn asked the Grey Council for ships to help Sheridan. The ones from the warrior caste refused, so she took ships from the other two castes. They were armed and ready to fight.

So, non-warriors fight. I'm sure non-religious pray, learn, meditate, etc. And everybody works all the time.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Thanks GKE, you hit is on the nail, but I think Healers are more likely to be Worker and Religious rather than Warrior - just from what we have seen of the Warrior caste and the archtypes healers fit into, it makes more sense

------------------
'We live for The One, We die for The One, but we don't die stupidly' - David Martel B5LR: TLADIS

Mack and Bo. They are about as Worker Caste as you can get.
laugh.gif

------------------
Remember dear readers, you heard it here first. Off the record, on the Q.T., and very hush-hush - Danny DeVito as Sid Hudgens in L.A. Confidential

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
So, non-warriors fight. I'm sure non-religious pray, learn, meditate, etc. And everybody works all the time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Worker Caste makes the war ships and probably designs them. I suspect that the Religious Caste manning them was a major change in role. It would explain why they needed Sinclair and Sheridan, to show how to command the ships.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It would explain why they needed Sinclair and Sheridan, to show how to command the ships.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, they would not. Firstly because Humans would be unfamiliar with Minbari technology, Minbari tactics, Minbari strengths and weaknesses.

Secondly all castes seem to have plenty of excellent captains. If even Delenn felt comfortable with commanding a battlegroup, so did many others. In the episode "Ceremonies of Dark and Light", we actually see some Minbari officers (probably of a rank equivalent to captain) from the warcruisers which saved Babylon 5 from destruction. No spiky armor, but more than adequate expertise for leading a ship. Either religious or worker caste.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back