• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why Babylon?

Nancy

Beyond the rim
I wonder why JMS used Babylon for the name of the station? I mean, ancient Babylon wasn't exactly a place of peace. Maybe he used it because the first written code of laws were from ancient Babylon. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Babylon 5 was not exactly a place of peace either - "by the end of the year 2259, it had failed..." which leads to the third season credits.

In the TNT "Guide to Babylon 5" special, it was noted that Babylon means "Gate of God."

I'm sure there are more meanings for using Babylon, but there's a start. ;-)

I think he used it for a number of reasons...

Firstly, Babylon was one of the crossroads of the ancient world, where travellers from many places would stop over when going elsewhere. This is also true of B5.

Secondly, Babylonian creation myth described the universe as being born out of the conflict between chaos and order - this was to prefigure the eventual revelation of the conflict between the Vorlons and Shadows.

I'm sure many others here can give both a fuller and more coherent account! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I thought it was more deep than that. Im sure someone will correct me on some of my smaller details:

Wasnt Babylon supposed to be a place and a kingdom of plotting, betrayls, and things of that nature?

Also, I thought according to some Babylonian myths, that the universe was created from the fires of Order and Chaos (which is the driving theme behind the whole series).

Anyone care to elaborate on that? I thought that was why the name was chosen...

I read someplace why he chose it, but I don't remember. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyone notice there are Tigris and Euphrates sectors mentioned in the show? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My knowledge of Babylonian myth is limited, but I think in one of the commentaries on S1 (Chrysalis I think) JMS did mention that it was to do with the Order vs Chaos aspect as mentioned above. Also, I beleive that there are other connections too such as the Vorlons taking the form of Angels etc.

Any experts on Babylonian myth out there???

Here is an interesting FAQ on the Babylonian Myth.
Have fun.

I also want to note the Babylon was the place where humanity spread to different cultures. Here GOD created the diversity of language so the people wont be able to keep up the construction of the Babylon tower.
It is poetic that the place where conflict and diversity started will be the place where unity will be found.

Ziv

I always had the "crossroads" notion, but I think everything above is pretty good.

And besides, "Constantinople 5" or "Rome 5" -- to pick some other crossroads places -- don't have quite the same ring to them.

I think God did a very sensible thing indeed when he confused tongues. Can you imagine what would have happened if, without the barrier of lingual diversity, we developed half of the technologies we see today? There would probably be no people of Earth by the time Jesus was supposed to get here (1st time around!)

Babel was a dream given form, but the timing was not right, perhaps the circle is complete with the Babylon project!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back