• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why are there no VCD's in U.S.?

Elizar

Beyond the rim
Why are there no VCD\'s in U.S.?

I've seen Crusade VCD's on ebay, but only from Malaysia, and other little islands. Why weren't they in the United States? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Re: Why are there no VCD\'s in U.S.?

Because Warner Home Video thinks there's no market for them in the USA?

Because everything has to be like pulling teeth?
What? You want something to be easy??? /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

A better question would be:

Why does Warner Home Video refuse to sell them to anybody in the USA?

I went through tons of red tape, and people who like Shultz on Hogan's Heroes "Knew Nothing." on Tueday before I gave up. I got a phone number from a WHV manager. I called it (toll call to Burbank CA) and they said they didn't know why he gave me that number, and that they'd never heard of "Crusade" or "Babylon 5 Crusade", and didn't know what VCDs were. They talked to their supervision, and ended up giving me another number. I called the second number and they also knew nothing. They had no phone numbers or any other leads and said my best bet would be to contact my local retailer. I told them the whole tale of how the VCDs are sold in Malaysia, and they said I should contact stores there.

Trying to get 'em from Warner in any of it's permutations, is hopeless. /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Crusade has to be put on DVD, or something, or it will die. VHS are going extinct. Heck, there aren't even proper Crusade VHS, only taping from the Scifi Channel with a blank tape. Same goes for B5, It has to go DVD.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Elizar:
<font color=yellow> Crusade has to be put on DVD, or something, or it will die. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

You don't seriously think that Warner Home Video or any other Warner company gives a damn about it, do you?

<font color=yellow> VHS are going extinct. Heck, there aren't even proper Crusade VHS, </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Not in the USA. There's only PAL VHS, no NTSC VHS.

<font color=yellow> only taping from the Scifi Channel with a blank tape. Same goes for B5,
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Crusade is not available to buy here in the USA on anything. Babylon 5 is still available on tape (the Warner tapes, VHS NTSC). Suncoast still has some, but who wants tape? Not me.

<font color=yellow> It has to go DVD.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

True, if it's not going to die out.

If you want an exercise in frustration, call WHV. They're nice, but completely unhelpful. It's like talking to Georgette from the old Mary Tyler Moore show <a target="_blank" href=http://amazon.imdb.com/Title?0065314>http://amazon.imdb.com/Title?0065314</a>

yeah, I've seen some of the Suncoast videos, but they're $45.00 for two episodes. It's maddness! VHS is downright horid, and that price is robbery!/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif

I don't want to sound stupid, but who are WHV?

<font color=yellow>yeah, I've seen some of the Suncoast videos, but they're $45.00 for two episodes. It's maddness! VHS is downright horrid, and that price is robbery!/ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Uh, that's for three tapes (six episodes), IIRC, but it's of B5, not Crusade. But you're right, the pricing is ridiculous, and who wants VHS tapes these days? Certainly not me.

<font color=yellow> I don't want to sound stupid, but who are WHV? </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

No such thing as a stupid question.

Warner Home Video

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Because Warner Home Video thinks there's no market for them in the USA?<hr></blockquote>

No, because the entire industry knows there is no commercial market for VCD in this country. Nobody was interested in it when it was introduced over here (we already had laserdisc and VHS, thank you very much, and it offered no compelling improvement over either.) Now it has been utterly overshadowed by DVD.

As for not allowing them to be commercially imported into the U.S. - that may have much to do with the deals under which they are made overseas. The Malaysians probably don't want Hong Kong VCDs flooding their market (or vice versa) so whatever Warner Bros. produces in each country probably can't be exported elsewhere. This isn't a deliberate plot aimed at B5 fans.

If you can find someone to buy them over there and ship them to you, you're OK. You may even be able to find an on-line VCD dealer who will let you buy them direct. The restriction probably only strictly applies to commercial transactions in quantity. I doubt anybody would care if you decided to buy a single set for personal use.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow> No, because the entire industry knows there is no commercial market for VCD in this country. Nobody was interested in it when it was introduced over here (we already had laserdisc and VHS,

Not for Crusade we haven't, at least in the USA.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
<font color=yellow> thank you very much, and it offered no compelling improvement over either.) Now it has been utterly overshadowed by DVD.

I find VCD to have one very compelling improvement over VHS. They're less likely to wear out or get damaged by the playing device. I can also take them over to friends houses to play on their DVD players. That beats taking over 2nd generation VHS tapes (so I could cut commercials and not be taking the Crusade masters) of the Sci-Fi Channel broadcast. Those reasons are why I got on the computer at 5:30AM today to bid on an eBay auction of the 7 Crusade VCDs (I won the auction /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif ).

<font color=yellow> As for not allowing them to be commercially imported into the U.S. - that may have much to do with the deals under which they are made overseas. The Malaysians probably don't want Hong Kong VCDs flooding their market (or vice versa) so whatever Warner Bros. produces in each country probably can't be exported elsewhere. This isn't a deliberate plot aimed at B5 fans.

Nevertheless, it finds a way to bite us in the a**.

<font color=yellow> If you can find someone to buy them over there and ship them to you, you're OK.

I did, I did! <Does a little Vorlon Dance> /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color=yellow> You may even be able to find an on-line VCD dealer who will let you buy them direct. The restriction probably only strictly applies to commercial transactions in quantity. I doubt anybody would care if you decided to buy a single set for personal use.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Tried with no luck.

There was only one set on eBay, but I was lucky enough to win the auction. Seller has only praise in the feedback file. Hope they actually arrive. <fingers crossed>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>There was only one set on eBay, but I was lucky enough to win the auction. Seller has only praise in the feedback file. Hope they actually arrive. <fingers crossed></font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Best of luck to ya./ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

in the mean time, all we have is hope that some high-ups in WHV get replaced by younger people who actually liked B5, Crusade, and maybe even B5LR <font color=red>(I know, I know, to much to ask for, right?)</font color=red>

<font color=yellow>If you can find someone to buy them over there and ship them to you, you're OK. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Not necessarily /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif My set got confiscated by Customs and Excise, because they thought they were counterfeit. They've now admitted they were wrong, and are struggling to find a set to replace the ones they destroyed, but even the Federation Against Copyright Theft are having problems getting Warners to deliver!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Those reasons are why I got on the computer at 5:30AM today to bid on an eBay auction of the 7 Crusade VCDs (I won the auction /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif ).<hr></blockquote>

You did???!!! Congratulations!!!!! Remember what I said though, make sure they label them as anything other than VCDs. You want to avoid the problems I've had!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>There was only one set on eBay, but I was lucky enough to win the auction. Seller has only praise in the feedback file. Hope they actually arrive. <fingers crossed></font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Hope so! Let us know when you get them /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Demon:
<font color=yellow>Not necessarily /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif My set got confiscated by Customs and Excise, because they thought they were counterfeit. They've now admitted they were wrong, and are struggling to find a set to replace the ones they destroyed, but even the Federation Against Copyright Theft are having problems getting Warners to deliver!</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the "red tape" at Warner Home Video is really Technomage "shadow skin." /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

No, I'm not going to explain that. Read the Technomage trilogy to find out what the reference means.

<font color=yellow>You did???!!! Congratulations!!!!! Remember what I said though, make sure they label them as anything other than VCDs. You want to avoid the problems I've had!</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Good idea! I just emailed them about it.

<font color=yellow>Let us know when you get them /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Will do! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>I'm becoming more and more convinced that the "red tape" at Warner Home Video is really Technomage "shadow skin." /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

haa, funny, anyway, the best of luck in getting them. really accurate description of Warner.

<font color=yellow>No, I'm not going to explain that. Read the Technomage trilogy to find out what the reference means.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Now you know I don't like Galen, why would you make me suffer like that? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=yellow>Now you know I don't like Galen, why would you make me suffer like that? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

You don't like Galen? What, were you dropped on your head as a child? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

<font color=yellow>You don't like Galen? What, were you dropped on your head as a child? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

You know, that's a really strange comment, coming from Elizar. /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif

Yes, Demon I "got" the wink.

<font color=yellow>I've seen Crusade VCD's on ebay, but only from Malaysia, and other little islands. Why weren't they in the United States? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

They won't play on my 8 track player. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=yellow>You don't like Galen? What, were you dropped on your head as a child? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Don't get me started /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Actually, it's not the character I dislike so much as the actor. I think he's a ham who gives British actors a bad name. There, you had to get me started, didn't you? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color=yellow>Yes, Demon I "got" the wink.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Given the discussion going on in a thread on the B5 forum, one has to be careful /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

And I just got my fourth star! It'll probably take me another year to get the fifth /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back