• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why are there no VCD's in U.S.?

Re: Why are there no VCD\'s in U.S.?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Demon:
<font color=yellow>Don't get me started /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Actually, it's not the character I dislike so much as the actor. I think he's a ham who gives British actors a bad name. There, you had to get me started, didn't you? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Oh, you're being too hard on him. I can see a young mage like Galen being exactly as portrayed by Peter. The characterization of Galen in the Technomage trilogy fits in with Peter's portrayal as well.

What do you want Hugh Grant, or somebody like that? /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif Too wimpy, if you ask me.

If Crusade ever gets restarted, I hope they get Peter back. That intensity and enunciation/clarity of speech define Galen, to me. Peter is Galen. No doubt, that's why JMS picked him.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by KoshN:
<font color=yellow>What do you want Hugh Grant, or somebody like that? /ubbthreads/images/icons/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif Too wimpy, if you ask me.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
*Reaches for bucket and starts to throw up* Why do you keep mentioning bad British actors? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

If I said 'there's no accounting for taste', will I be misinterpreted? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>Don't get me started /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Actually, it's not the character I dislike so much as the actor. I think he's a ham who gives British actors a bad name. There, you had to get me started, didn't you? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Didn't think that Peter Woodward was that bad certainly when compared to his dad in 'The Long Road.'

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Nukemall:
<font color=yellow>Didn't think that Peter Woodward was that bad certainly when compared to his dad in 'The Long Road.'</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Now I thought it was the other way around. Liked Edward W as Alwyn, hated PW as Galen. Life would be dull if we all agreed /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>*Reaches for bucket and starts to throw up* Why do you keep mentioning bad British actors? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

OK, list some good ones then, who could play Galen.

<font color=yellow>Now I thought it was the other way around. Liked Edward W as Alwyn, hated PW as Galen. Life would be dull if we all agreed /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I liked them both.

Let me put it this way. Off the top of my head, in Crusade, when I think of whose acting I didn't like, the only regulars I can come up with are Tracy Scoggins and Marjean Holden, and I don't even "hate" what they did in their roles.

I thought Peter was easily 10 times the better actor compared to either of them.

<font color=yellow>OK, list some good ones then, who could play Galen.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

There's Kribu and Antony's favourite, Alan Rickman /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>There's Kribu and Antony's favourite, Alan Rickman /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Too old. Galen's in his mid-twenties.

**Grins to Demon** /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color=yellow>Too old. Galen's in his mid-twenties.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Eh, who cares about the right age, as long as we get to drool? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Seriously though - while I didn't mind PW too much, I didn't particularly care about Galen either, and mainly because of Peter Woodward's acting style. I agree that it fits in nicely with the way Galen is described in the Technomage trilogy - but then, wasn't Galen in the books based heavily on the Galen in Crusade?

Had he been portrayed in a different manner, by a different actor, in the show, I bet he'd have been a bit different in the books as well.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kribu:
<font color=yellow>**Grins to Demon** /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
So do you like the idea of AR as Galen? I think he has the right balance of humour and drama for the role, as well as that voice... *whimper*

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Seriously though - while I didn't mind PW too much, I didn't particularly care about Galen either, and mainly because of Peter Woodward's acting style. I agree that it fits in nicely with the way Galen is described in the Technomage trilogy - but then, wasn't Galen in the books based heavily on the Galen in Crusade?

Had he been portrayed in a different manner, by a different actor, in the show, I bet he'd have been a bit different in the books as well.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

ICAM! Cause and effect to some degree. And is PW supposed to be in his mid twenties?! I thought he looked late thirties.

<font color=yellow>So do you like the idea of AR as Galen? I think he has the right balance of humour and drama for the role, as well as that voice... *whimper*</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I like the idea of AR as anyone, he could play Snow White for all I care... /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
That voice.... indeed! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>And is PW supposed to be in his mid twenties?! I thought he looked late thirties.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Actually, I thought so too. Maybe *late* twenties...? Going by the technomage trilogy, that is, Crusade took place quite a bit later than the last events in the books, and while young, he was still already a grownup in the books. But PW really didn't look mid-twenties to me.

<font color=yellow>You know, that's a really strange comment, coming from Elizar. /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif
.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Ok, I like Elizar better, and Elizar hated Galen, but Galen is still a good charactor. Not as good as Elizar... /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color=yellow>I
Actually, I thought so too. Maybe *late* twenties...? Going by the technomage trilogy, that is, Crusade took place quite a bit later than the last events in the books, and while young, he was still already a grownup in the books. But PW really didn't look mid-twenties to me.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Also, wouldn't that have made him a teenager when he rescued Gideon? Seems a bit odd. I always thought he was older than Gideon, who we know was 41 at the time of Crusade.

No, I think he was somewhat younger. He was quite young when he became a mage (I've loaned out my copy of the trilogy, can't check) so he'd have been ... early twenties when he rescued Gideon? Around ... 2259, when the mages went into hiding? That would make him around 30 in 2267.

But as I said, he looked older. Probably because Peter Woodward *is* older than that, he was in his early forties at the time Crusade was made. *LOL*

<font color=yellow>But as I said, he looked older. Probably because Peter Woodward *is* older than that, he was in his early forties at the time Crusade was made. *LOL*</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Which would make him much the same age as Gary Cole, but I guess it's the lack of hair that makes PW look older.

Technomages are supposed to be a bit over the top and theatrical. When you work at acting that way all the time it probably becomes second nature.

<font color=yellow>So do you like the idea of AR as Galen? I think he has the right balance of humour and drama for the role, as well as that voice... *whimper*

No. It would invalidate the Technomage trilogy and what we have of Crusade.

<font color=yellow>
ICAM! Cause and effect to some degree.

Probably. Too late for AR now, though. I see him more as the villain from Die Hard.

<font color=yellow> And is PW supposed to be in his mid twenties?! I thought he looked late thirties.

Better than AR's mid-fifties. No way AR could play Galen. PW's got 10 years (9.92 if you want to be really picky) on AR. Mid-fifties can't play mid-twenties.

*Sighs* KoshN, darling, this was just wishful thinking. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Let us girls dream! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif No need to destroy this with cold, hard facts. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<font color=yellow>
Actually, I thought so too. Maybe *late* twenties...? Going by the technomage trilogy, that is, Crusade took place quite a bit later than the last events in the books, and while young, he was still already a grownup in the books. But PW really didn't look mid-twenties to me.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Galen was 21 in November 2258, so he was born in 2237, and would have been 29 or 30 when we see him in Crusade in 2267. [Casting Shadows, page 13 bottom]

Galen rescued Gideon in February 2259, when Galen would have been 21 or 22.

Peter Woodward was 42 when the episodes of Crusade were filmed. Now he's 46.

<font color=yellow>*Sighs* KoshN, darling, this was just wishful thinking. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Let us girls dream! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif No need to destroy this with cold, hard facts. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Absolutely! They could never have afforded AR anyway /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Back