• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who'd have died?

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
Who\'d have died?

Okay. Let's get down to the nitty gritty.

We know, full well, that the entire cast wouldn't have survived five years. Death of characters is needed to further the story, and you know that JMS would have plotted lots of things.

Who do you think may have gone. When, and why? And any ideas on who may have joined?

Re: Who\'d have died?

The problem with this great, great thread is that I can't get involved, because telling you who I think would have died would be giving away a great part of Redux, and those who read Redux will also be reading this thread.

Gah. How frustrating.

However, if you really value my opinion on this matter so much and want to know, fire off a PM in my general direction.

Hm, good question. Knowing JMS, no one would have been safe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David could have been killed, easily enough - not in a first season cliffhanger, probably, but maybe later down the road... and no Lorien to bring him back to life. I'd say that's a possibility, although at least in the pilot too much seemed to be hanging on David's charisma and actions and his past.

Dulann - a definite possibility. First officer and friend of David's - important enough to make his death a real shock. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Another quite obvious possibility - Malcolm. Getting into dangerous situations would have been in his job description. Although that would actually make him a too easy target... hm, have to think about that.

Sarah - again, why not? Did JMS kill off any female characters in B5?

Tirk - could have been smashed by something too heavy to carry... I don't know. He already got himself into a dangerous situation and got hurt in the pilot though.

Firell, Na'Feel and Kitaro - no idea, they didn't get enough screen time in the pilot for me to make any conclusions about their eventual fate. They could have all grown into key people though, so once again, any one of them could have been killed off later. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for new additions - no idea whatsoever.

Who would have died? The character played by the first actor to quit the show. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You forgot Tafeek, which is why I think he would have been the first. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

We all keep on forgetting Tafeek. I know JMS probably had a role for him, but his presence on the telemovie was just so negligible and so unnecessary... yeah, there was the need for a character to do political stuff, but Tafeek just seemed... extraneous.

I left Tafeek out on purpose. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Precisely because we didn't almost see him at all and thus I had no idea about what to expect either. It's one thing to speculate and another to speculate about someone whose very existence you've almost forgotten. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Who'd have died?

[/quote]

Several people in the Sci-Fi Channel programming department, if I'd had anything to say about it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That way they could be reunited with their brains in the next world.

Regards,

Joe

...and a few folks here, as well.

TNT Atlanta /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Oops, that's OT, since this is a Rangers thread. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Several people in the Sci-Fi Channel programming department, if I'd had anything to say about it. That way they could be reunited with their brains in the next world.

[/quote]
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif No kidding, Joe.

That way they could be reunited with their brains in the next world.

[/quote]

They have brains?

--mcn

I think Tafeek was the most expendable. The others were too important to the story.

Who the heck was "Markus"? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marcus Cole, OTOH, was important to the story, but only starting in S2 and he was primarily put there in order to die heroically in S4 and shape Susan Ivanova's arc in S5. Since we really have no idea about the shape of the Rangers arc, it is really hard go guess who'd be around at the end (barring real-life incidents.)

Even JMS didn't know at the outset exactly who would live and who would die. He as spoken more than once about coming to the end of a season and playing around with killing of most of the characters (a few, like Delenn, were off-limits for story reasons), trying to figure out which death would produce the most interesting effect on the series.

Regards,

Joe

There's no fun in killing off the most expendable characters. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Killing off someone not so expendable is a lot more dramatic. Therefore I'd actually guess, based on what little we know of Tafeek, that he'd stay alive for quite a while... after all, if he was killed, who'd miss him? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well, I was putting together this week's "From The Valhalla Sector" when I wrote that, so I had Jeremiah on the brain. That's a sign I've gone over the edge.

I honestly could see any one of them dying. Even a senseless death. They don't have to die *because* of something - and, in many ways, watching the Rangers deal with the death of someone who perished because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, rather than out of some altruistic self-sacrifice, would be VERY interesting.

I have always wanted to see the impact/aftermath of a major series character dying because of their own human/species frailty, arrogance, stupidity, whatever.

Or even better ... one of his colleagues human/species frailty, arrogance, stupidity etc. That could create all kind of personal and dramatic tension.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But if one of them did get killed off, I am sure JMS would have them say, "We live for The One. We die for The One" before they died. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But if one of them did get killed off, I am sure JMS would have them say, "We live for The One. We die for The One" before they died. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/quote]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that somebody would have said that one time too many and been beaten to death by the rest of the crew. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back