• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

who feels sorry for jms ??

D

**DONOTDELETE**

i feel sorry for jms .....

after creating such a fantastic series as babylon 5 everything he will write now will be compared to babylon 5 , wich in essence is a writers nightmare the trouble about science fiction writers and actors its the kiss of death appearing in a b5/star trek type show because for some reason you will allways be remembered as that character except for colm meaney i love colm !!!! (o`brien ds9 / con air)
all the other actors are mostly bum actors that not bieng rude just stating it as a fact... i know evryone will probably bite my hand off for saying that so here goes ill hold my hand out

smile.gif
sph

------------------
sheridan knows ... but what remains to be seen is wether he knows that he knows ......
lorien -- into the fire

Simon,

I hate to say this, but - if you're in the creative arts, and you do something wonderful, everything you do after that time will be compared to that wonderful thing. It's the risk they take as artists.

In the writing world, it's a common adage, one spouted by my own friends - "Yeah, you have a bestseller, but what distinguishes you as a writer is what you do for an encore, and the encore after that."

Yes, JMS will be forever remembered for Babylon 5. That's the risk he ran for doing something that good.

The public will go, "Oh? Straczynski? The B5 guy?" A smaller amount of people will go, "Oh, Stracynzski? The guy who did B5, Jeremiah, Rangers, and all those comic books?" And a smaller amount of people will go (infintesimal): "Oh, Straczynski? Captain Power and He-Man, right?" (Just the sf bozos.)

You know, I don't feel sorry for JMS at all. There are some people out there that don't get to leave their legacy like that. When I die, people will say, "Channe, who - what'd she do?"

But, much more, for the opportunity to do something like that, to write every episode of a series and have that kind of creative control over a story - why, it's just - any writer's dream. Even if it's only five years out of my entire life (a five years spent sleeping three hours a night, writing eighteen hours a day, sacrificing my life to it - damn, my idea of a good time!)

Plus, if you're good enough, and he is definitely good enough, in writing you'll always get a job. If you can pull prose well like that, you will most likely be employed. You will most likely sell. Especially if you've proven to have the range of genres and outlets JMS has had.

And if you don't sell, there's always commercial writing (ads, pr, copy), which at times is far more lucrative!

And for my final point, see my signature.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 15, 2001).]

totally agree with you
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

just lucky im not in the arts such as writing !!!!!!!

------------------
sheridan knows ... but what remains to be seen is wether he knows that he knows ......
lorien -- into the fire

No, because he is not resting on his laurels and it does not seem to be preventing him from getting to tell new stories.

------------------
"I used to be known as Eric, the waiter with hands for hands." The waiter with stubs for hands in The Kids in the Hall

I wish I was talented enough to be as creative and articulate in writing as JMS.
frown.gif

------------------
May the light of the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha protect you.

May you all be well and happy, free from suffering, free from sickness.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Simon,

But, much more, for the opportunity to do something like that, to write every episode of a series

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He didn't write every episode, only about 90 or so, something aroundt there. And Simon, clean up your writing with some punctuation and capitalization please! Reading stuff without that is horrendous

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

JMS gets to do what he loves for a living. He not only survives, but succeeds triumphantly in a business where the vast majority of people. He's extremely talented and has the opportunity to express it. He has legions of fans all over the world who worship him. He is respected by his peers and adored by his audience.

I'm not going to lose any sleep pitying JMS.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back