• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

When will we know?

Londonium

Beyond the rim
How long after Jan 19 will we know what kind of ratings the movie got. And has SF channel said any specific number that must be reached to go series? Or are they just being vague, saying the ratings have to be "good"?

------------------

Good questions. I don't think anyone I've heard from knows any dates or numbers. But I get the feeling (not very reliable, I HOPE) that they will be pleased with nothing less than near-"Dune" ratings. They want big ratings, but I don't know if anyone knows just HOW big.

------------------
Galileo:
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

My guess (shooting in the dark here)...

Two weeks for collecting ratings, verifying, cross veryfing, double-cross veryfing and seeing the ratings on a rerun or two.

Then 3-4 weeks for board sessions, arguments, accusasions and mutual recriminations.

One week for authorizing and signing all the necessary paperwork.

Two additional weeks yanking our chain with romurs...

Figure between 2.5 to 3 months waiting.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hostile17 (edited December 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Hostile17 (edited December 18, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hostile17:
....singing all the necessary paperwork.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given your Username, I have to wonder if you really meant it ("singing").
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ps. I liked the Buffy Musical.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Do'h!

It was supposed to be "signing!" "SIGNING!!!"

Much apologizing, Zathras very tired... a long day, Zathras had... a cog in the Great Machine...

------------------

Well, I hope the ratings are big enough to knock Sci Fi's socks off so to speak and that they jump to start filming a series!
cool.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

Nielsen overnight ratings for cable are normally available by about 3:15PM ET the next day. However, weekend ratings have a longer delay. Saturday night ratings are available for downloading by Nielsen customers by 9AM ET Tuesday morning.

I suspect that Sci-Fi won't only look at the *average* rating, but will examine the ratings on a quarter-hour-by-quarter-hour basis to determine if there was any tune-out during the movie.

Promotion and interest in the subject matter will get people to watch, but then the movie has to deliver and keep their interest throughout its duration.

As for when a layperson will hear about the ratings, that may depend on whether anyone with access leaks them out or whether JMS is told what they are and spreads the word.

In cases of particularly good ratings, Sci-Fi has been known to make a celebratory announcement on the SciFiwire and issue a press release.

------------------

We'll have the ratings Monday morning. Ratings (initially called "the overnights") are available from the largest markets the morning after a broadcast. On the second day you get the final full tally which is basically the same as the overnights.

I expect Sci Fi to make a decision within two to three weeks at the latest. Of course if the numbers suck, we'll have our answer Monday morning. I think we need a strong second behind Dune, no one is expecting to match those numbers.

If we do get a greenlight, I expect a quick turn around. Doug says we can get the show up and running in three months. That would allow Sci Fi to start airing episodes sometime in the summer which they seem to prefer.

By the way, I'll be going to Graumann's Chinese Theater here in Hollywood tomorrow to see Lord of the Rings and of course the Rangers trailer. Graumann's is the premiere movie theater in the world and trailers are treated in a very special way in this theater, akin to an audience at the Apollo Theater in New York if that means anything to you. I'm sure we will be heckled, but I'll explain that when I report back on the experience, it should be memorable...

Cheers,

Dylan

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>akin to an audience at the Apollo Theater in New York if that means anything to you <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a New Yorker, all I can say is, good luck, and come back to us alive.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
We'll have the ratings Monday morning. Ratings (initially called "the overnights") are available from the largest markets the morning after a broadcast. On the second day you get the final full tally which is basically the same as the overnights.

I expect Sci Fi to make a decision within two to three weeks at the latest. Of course if the numbers suck, we'll have our answer Monday morning. I think we need a strong second behind Dune, no one is expecting to match those numbers.

If we do get a greenlight, I expect a quick turn around. Doug says we can get the show up and running in three months. That would allow Sci Fi to start airing episodes sometime in the summer which they seem to prefer.

By the way, I'll be going to Graumann's Chinese Theater here in Hollywood tomorrow to see Lord of the Rings and of course the Rangers trailer. Graumann's is the premiere movie theater in the world and trailers are treated in a very special way in this theater, akin to an audience at the Apollo Theater in New York if that means anything to you. I'm sure we will be heckled, but I'll explain that when I report back on the experience, it should be memorable...

Cheers,

Dylan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info Dylan!

cool.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
Graumann's is the premiere movie theater in the world and trailers are treated in a very special way in this theater, akin to an audience at the Apollo Theater in New York if that means anything to you. I'm sure we will be heckled, but I'll explain that when I report back on the experience, it should be memorable...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehehe, yes, that should be quite an experience.

I'm feeling a little jealous as I won't be able to see the Fellowship till next week.

Such a sad technomage...
frown.gif

I can second the Eye, come back alive, and with minimal ego bruising. Remember we still love ya.
wink.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
In cases of particularly good ratings, Sci-Fi has been known to make a celebratory announcement on the SciFiwire and issue a press release.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sci-Fi generally publishes a weekly "top ten" in the left-hand sidebar of SciFiWire, usually two weeks after the fact. Though if we need to wait that long, it's probably bad news.

------------------
-- Marty

Dylan -

Yes, do tell us! We'll be especially curious. If you or anyone else from a top 10 city sees the trailer, many of us would love to know what it looked like, and how it was treated.

Where I am, you can definitely tell the audience's reaction to a trailer, guage it just by the amount of whispering, and the general... well, the general feeling of the audience, and how much your neighbor squirms... I kinda think that's different than what might go on at the Chinese Theater...

All we can do now, folks, is to turn on our sets a month from now, make popcorn, settle back and be entertained - and then cross our fingers until Monday.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The major market overnights don't always produce the same numbers as the national overnights that come the next day. For CBS, the "major market" overnights are usually lower than the national ones because CBS has stronger performance in "non-major" markets. For networks like Fox, WB, and UPN, the major market overnights, are usually higher than the national numbers.

That is because those networks have weaker distribution in small markets.

The other weakness of the major market overnights is that they are only the "household" ratings. Demographic ratings come with the national overnights.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back